Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - macmus - 2014-08-12

I'm having issue with 5.1 surround on Win8 on I5 Intel Nuc.
I did test with XBMC and steam games. When I set in windows speaker configuration to 5.1 I receive on my AVR all 5.1 channels.

inpute: PCM 5.1
output: multichannel 5.1

The problem is that i do not hear surround speakers.. only the one I hear are in front.

When I use my laptop and do the same settings I can hear all 5 speakers in games steam games and XBMC..

Any idea what is going on ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - macmus - 2014-08-12

in xbmc when i set to 5 speakers i have sound from back.. I do not get it in game though..

Somebody with intel i5 and AVR could test it for me ?

Please run any game in windows 8.1 with 5.1 configuration and please check if you have sound from rear speakers... It seems this is somehow not generated.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Stereodude - 2014-08-12

The game still has to output 5 channels of sound. If it only outputs stereo that's all you will get.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2014-08-12

(2014-08-11, 00:46)nickr Wrote:
(2014-08-10, 21:21)Crssi Wrote: I had readed somewhere here that for IR to works as expected windows os and drivers should be installed.
The windows drivers somehow initializes IR. Then windows can be safelly replaced by some other OS.
You had readed wrong.

Thank you for getting me out of the dark. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-08-12

(2014-08-12, 08:20)Crssi Wrote:
(2014-08-11, 00:46)nickr Wrote:
(2014-08-10, 21:21)Crssi Wrote: I had readed somewhere here that for IR to works as expected windows os and drivers should be installed.
The windows drivers somehow initializes IR. Then windows can be safelly replaced by some other OS.
You had readed wrong.

Thank you for getting me out of the dark. Smile

Hmm, there definitely was talk along those lines though. I think it was the waking up from power off state with remote, it wasn't working on openelec/Linux for SOME people... then someone found if they installed and booted windows first, it seemed to somehow "initialise" the IR receiver in the NUC and then when they swapped back to Linux their power on from off state was working OK. I haven't read it for a while though so not sure if it is still an issue or not.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Jaman42 - 2014-08-12

If anyone wants to I would really appreciate some step by step guidelines configuring lirc in Ubuntu, maybe I got something wrong? I got the hang of Lircmap.xml and remote.xml so that isn't needed. I first configured lirc and the remote on the DN2820 and then simply copied over the hardware and lirc config files of lirc to my new NUC. Maybe that's why the remotes are behaving a bit odd? I'm not very familiar with lirc so when I configured the first time I was searching the internet for information and went with the trail and error approach, and at the end the remote was working.

When running irrecord, it recognizes every keypress but when it comes to naming the buttons I get the "something went wrong" message, I have also tried with -f (force) option as well but still the same error message, so maybe there is something wrong with my hardware.conf or something like that?

When I run irrecord i run the following command: irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

Hardware.conf:
Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Remotes (new version Philips et al.)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2014-08-12

(2014-07-25, 16:37)solamnic Wrote: I returned the unit to my vendor, in order to be checked by their technical stuff ..

I will have answers within this week...

By the way...
it is really really weird for intel to release a unit with non working ddr slot....

the world of computers never ceases to amaze me Smile Smile Smile

As i ve stated... i have returned my unit to my vendor...
He send me back a new one...
and guess what?
Now both DDR Slots are working. .... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nod
(it was a fautly unit after all...... no comments on Intel Support).... Tongue

I now some questions:

a) in bios what is the reccomended setting for igp ram size?
b) in Windows 7 XBMC.. when i try to playback a movie via LAN, i experience stuttering...
Something i should change in windows or xbmc?
(i tried auto detect in accelaration, DVXA HD, softare, multi thread ... same results....)..

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-08-12

I don't know that you would ever need to manually set the igp ram size in the EUFI.

How do you know your movie stuttering is caused by the LAN? Does the same problem happen if you play the movie from locally attached storage (USB drive, etc)?

Stuttering, if caused by the LAN would indicate that either your network source is not fast enough to keep up with the demands of streaming the movie, or that you have a faulty network connection. Network connection could be as simple as a bad cable on either your NAS/share PC or the NUC.

If it's not that (stutters when played from attached storage too) then it's likely a problem with your audio settings, etc. For example, if I boot my NUC before I boot my AVR, then the NUC does not know that it can do True-HD... if I play back a title with DTS-MA (which is most of them) it will stutter.

Has anyone else updated to FW027?

Since doing so I am no longer able to power on via IR command. Anyone get this working? I might have to roll back to FW026.

Well, this sucks. Even after going back to FW026 it is still not powering on. Intel must have changed something with the CIR in FW027 that survives even rollback of the BIOS version.

So those of you running OE might not want to update to this new BIOS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-08-12

Maybe another install of Windows is necessary now?

I never have installed Windows on this box. Power on/off has been working fine with my Harmony remote which I believe uses the "power toggle" command. Testing shows that both power on and power toggle discrete IR commands both fail now.

Operating the NUC via IR once it is booted into OE is fine.

I really wish Intel would get their act together.

Humorously one of the bugs fixed in the release notes for this version is "fixed IR power on for OpenElec users". In my case power on had been working, this new firmware breaks it.

(2014-08-12, 17:55)voip-ninja Wrote: I don't know that you would ever need to manually set the igp ram size in the EUFI.

How do you know your movie stuttering is caused by the LAN? Does the same problem happen if you play the movie from locally attached storage (USB drive, etc)?

Stuttering, if caused by the LAN would indicate that either your network source is not fast enough to keep up with the demands of streaming the movie, or that you have a faulty network connection. Network connection could be as simple as a bad cable on either your NAS/share PC or the NUC.

If it's not that (stutters when played from attached storage too) then it's likely a problem with your audio settings, etc. For example, if I boot my NUC before I boot my AVR, then the NUC does not know that it can do True-HD... if I play back a title with DTS-MA (which is most of them) it will stutter.

Using NFS ...

the thing is that LAN is working fine when i playback using my Arctic MC001 or my Popcorn hour..... Confused

Also if i want to dual boot openelec - windows..
first i install windows then openelec..

found this guide here

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_dualboot

dont know if there is a simpler way to dual boot Smile

(2014-08-12, 22:20)solamnic Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 17:55)voip-ninja Wrote: I don't know that you would ever need to manually set the igp ram size in the EUFI.

Using NFS ...

the thing is that LAN is working fine when i playback using my Arctic MC001 or my Popcorn hour..... Confused

You need to test by putting a movie on local USB media. All that is proven by movies playing okay on those other devices is that THOSE devices don't have a network or configuration problem.

(2014-08-12, 22:23)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 22:20)solamnic Wrote:

Using NFS ...

You need to test by putting a movie on local USB media. All that is proven by movies playing okay on those other devices is that THOSE devices don't have a network or configuration problem.

Good point ... will do...Nod