Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-08-12

And now I have audio dropouts too. Damnit Intel!!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-12, 22:30)solamnic Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 22:23)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 22:20)solamnic Wrote: Using NFS ...

the thing is that LAN is working fine when i playback using my Arctic MC001 or my Popcorn hour..... Confused

You need to test by putting a movie on local USB media. All that is proven by movies playing okay on those other devices is that THOSE devices don't have a network or configuration problem.

Good point ... will do...Nod

I did something else..
i installed openelec on a usb stick..

Playback is fine..

Switched back to windows.. - lan works fine - gigabit ethernet..
but when i playback from Lan video goes like slow motion... Confused

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-08-13

debug log (wiki)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-08-13

And you still haven't tried playing the file locally?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 00:15)scarecrow420 Wrote: And you still haven't tried playing the file locally?

If he can play back okay with OpenElec then the problem has to be windows drivers or some other configuration problem.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - elim - 2014-08-13

how does the i3 handle silverlight browser streams?

is it sufficent

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - JasonHoffman - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-12, 20:46)voip-ninja Wrote: Well, this sucks. Even after going back to FW026 it is still not powering on. Intel must have changed something with the CIR in FW027 that survives even rollback of the BIOS version.

So those of you running OE might not want to update to this new BIOS.

I'm running my D34010 with 27 and power on from the remote is working for me. I recently installed openelec on it (got sick of Windows as my OS for XBMC) and the mouse didn't work at all until I went to the 27 bios. I then went into the input settings in xbmc and checked the option for the remote to send mouse commands.

Power on, power off, all functions work perfectly from my RC6 remote.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 00:22)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-08-13, 00:15)scarecrow420 Wrote: And you still haven't tried playing the file locally?

If he can play back okay with OpenElec then the problem has to be windows drivers or some other configuration problem.

yeah so playing local file under windows would start to narrow down what element of the windows configuration is not happy (eg network drivers would be ruled in/out)

although really we know the drivers are fine since a lot of us are running XBMC on NUCs with windows with no major issues. My bet would be on XBMC configuration (eg audio settings) or perhaps just hasn't installed all the correct drivers (IME, Graphics Driver for HDMI audio etc)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 05:14)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 20:46)voip-ninja Wrote: Well, this sucks. Even after going back to FW026 it is still not powering on. Intel must have changed something with the CIR in FW027 that survives even rollback of the BIOS version.

So those of you running OE might not want to update to this new BIOS.

I'm running my D34010 with 27 and power on from the remote is working for me. I recently installed openelec on it (got sick of Windows as my OS for XBMC) and the mouse didn't work at all until I went to the 27 bios. I then went into the input settings in xbmc and checked the option for the remote to send mouse commands.

Power on, power off, all functions work perfectly from my RC6 remote.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have a little update on this.

Got frustrated enough that I tapped into the SATA port on the NUC and installed Win 7 x64 Pro onto a full size 3.5" HDD I had lying around. No change. Still could not get the thing to power up but once in Windows the device was recognized and would work.

I added a 2nd Windows Media Center device to my Harmony One and still no luck. I then (after spending hours scouring around trying to learn something) added a Microsoft Windows Media extender device to my Harmony and just like magic it started working. Power up and power down worked fine with Windows and when I put the SSD back in it continues to work with OE.

So, I can surmise a few things.... as this had been working completely fine now for a really long time;

1. FW 27 includes some new FW/setting for the Nuvoton CIR that is built into the Haswell NUC...
2. Once this FW/change happens the device will no longer power up from some older IR profiles like "Windows Media Center".
3. Does work with Windows media extender and probably several other IR profiles.
4. Rolling back FW does not fix the problem because, I assume, the new FW and/or settings stick even when the older FW is reinstalled.

I still have a couple of minor outstanding issues;

1. After going through all of this I re-built my activity as I had it before, trying to use "Microsoft Media Keyboard" device to shortcut some actions in XBMC. For some reason these are no longer working... although they had been working (from same device) when they were being used in a different activity. Not sure what is going on with this one... I have "remote sends keyboard presses" selected... turning it off doesn't change anything either.

2. I was getting some audio dropouts for a while. I suspect that at some point with all of the messing around the HDMI display device was changed from "HDMI1" to "default" and possibly that is related to the audio dropouts. I will have to test with some other files to see if the issue is really resolved now that I have changed it back to "HDMI1".

3. I don't even know if 27 fixed the issue I was originally trying to squash... random power-up of the NUC... have to monitor that.

All in all this has been a huge PITA. I feel like my part time job is nursing this NUC into doing what I want... it's even more frustrating because half the stuff I run into, nobody (but me) gives a crap about.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 01:40)elim Wrote: how does the i3 handle silverlight browser streams?

is it sufficent

is should be enough:
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-04/amd-athlon-5350-kabini-sockel-fs1b-test/4/
Watchever is Silverlight.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2014-08-13

Am I in the dark again?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Branphma - 2014-08-13

Hi guys,

so I finally got my NUC (i3 Version) a couple of days ago.

I am running Windows 8.1 witch 4 GB of Ram and a 64 GB SSD. Everything seems fine except that the NUC has difficulties handling the XBMC menus smoothly.
My main skin is arctic but the performance is horrible with the NUC :-( However the performance monitor shows only a max workload of ca. 75% of all componentns (cpu,gpu,ram)

From different statements here on the forum I got the impression that the NUC could handle nearly anything perfectly smooth.
Would the i5-Version show a significant performance boost?

Would be glad about your opinions on that.
Cheers!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-08-13

A decent operating system might show results. Try openelec.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - jinkyjim - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 10:22)Branphma Wrote: Hi guys,

so I finally got my NUC (i3 Version) a couple of days ago.

I am running Windows 8.1 witch 4 GB of Ram and a 64 GB SSD. Everything seems fine except that the NUC has difficulties handling the XBMC menus smoothly.
My main skin is arctic but the performance is horrible with the NUC :-( However the performance monitor shows only a max workload of ca. 75% of all componentns (cpu,gpu,ram)

From different statements here on the forum I got the impression that the NUC could handle nearly anything perfectly smooth.
Would the i5-Version show a significant performance boost?

Would be glad about your opinions on that.
Cheers!

I have the same set up as you, i3 nuc 4gb ram, win 8.1,...the i3 is more than capable for XBMC.
mine is as fast as lightning with the aeon nox skin.

when i have a big problem, i just reinstall everything,...that might help you.

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2014-08-13

(2014-08-13, 00:22)voip-ninja Wrote:

A little update on my issue...

I installed dx9 update, klite codec ..
Playing back via lan, mkv files ( in windows) was fine..

So i run xbmc again ..
Same problem while playing back either using lan or locally..

Hm... I will delete app/xbmc folder i thought ..
Did that ..

And play back using xbmc is now smooth..(either lan or local)
Really weird issue though Smile