Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2014-09-15

BIOS version 27 fixed my broken power-button in case anyone else have this issue. No need to disconnect battery any more I guess.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - megalodon - 2014-09-15

(2014-09-15, 11:47)arokh Wrote: BIOS version 27 fixed my broken power-button in case anyone else have this issue. No need to disconnect battery any more I guess.

My power button always worked on 0.25 with openelec, after an upgrade to 0.28 and having random restarts when I was at work and and stability issues with it crashing I decided to downgrade back to 0.25 which always worked. I put the IR commands back in the autostart.sh but it won't power on with the Microsoft MCE remote now. Lots of other users have had problems with the NUC booting up when unattended on 0.27 and 0.28 so I don't want to upgrade again. If I pull the NUC battery will it reset the NUC back to factory default BIOS?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2014-09-15

If you're not having issues with the power button why would you pull the battery? Just reset to defaults in BIOS if you need to. In any case I don't know why you relate software crashing and instabilities to the BIOS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - megalodon - 2014-09-15

(2014-09-15, 16:20)arokh Wrote: If you're not having issues with the power button why would you pull the battery? Just reset to defaults in BIOS if you need to. In any case I don't know why you relate software crashing and instabilities to the BIOS.

Because after downgrading to Bios 0.25 it no longer powers on the NUC with the Microsoft MCE remote power button and it did before I upgraded to 0.28. You still need the IR commands in the autostart.sh for 0.25. I never had any stability issues before I upgraded to Bios 0.28 and my NUC as been running the same Openelec latest gotham for months now with no random restarts or stability issues. And even after resetting the Bios to defaults it still will not power on with the MCE remote power button. The Bios 0.28 does something to affect it. Many users on the openelec forums have realised this. The only way they seem to be able to fix the remote power button turning the NUC on is with a temp windows with CIR drivers. There are many posts about this on the openelec forums. So with nothing changed but the Bios what else can the reboots and random restarts be caused by?
From everything across the internet Bios 0.24 seems to be the one to stay with although I had no problems with Bios 0.25.
0.28 also powers on the NUC with the pause button and this will cause issues with users playing movies on a xbox and using the xbox remote.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - M4tt0 - 2014-09-15

Hi megalodon (isn't that some kind of dinosaur?),

Same thing happened to nuc-ninja and me before. nuc-ninja figured it out!
See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1786576#pid1786576

Cheers,

M4tt0

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - megalodon - 2014-09-16

No you need to read the post from then to now. People are still having problem on 0.27 and 0.28 with random restarting when the NUC is unoccupied. I'm on 0.28 with openelec and it's hung 3 times today. Never had any of this on 0.25.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-09-16

Megalodon,

The problem with MCE no longer powering on after updating to BIOS 27 or later I suspect is that they flash the CIR with new firmware, so even downgrading BIOS won't clear it up.

I had the same issue and I had to program my Harmony to emulate an MCE extender remote in order to get power on working again.

I have not contacted Intel about the random power ups, I suspect it is an interaction problem with them and OE as I even had this problem with my last i3 non-nuc system that was ivy bridge with CIR.

Intel will tell you they don't support OE or Linux so it's not worth the aggrevation talking to them.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - M4tt0 - 2014-09-16

_voip_-ninja: sorry for getting your nick wrong!

And this is in line with what I'm seeing as I do not experience any random power-ups running Ubuntu 14.04. Never have so far, with any BIOS ver.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ausmedia - 2014-09-16

I just bought a new D54250WYKH intel nuc

I haven't installed openelec yet , does this model have the same problem of not turning on with via remote etc with latest bios 28 or should i stay with the stock bios ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - mffhi - 2014-09-16

I've got the same problem random startups when i use Remote TV or receiver Humax and press any Button Frequently, nuc startups!! (overlapping ir)

* D54250WYKH
* OS OE
* Bios 028

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2014-09-16

I'm on BIOS 28 and it's rock solid for me. The IR seems to have changed in some way, but I can still power it up by using RC6 scancode 0x800f740c. If you use Smart IR for Android you can select the Xbox 360 remote and that will power on.

As for stability it's running as normal for me, no crash or reboot. Might be software incompatibility for some I don't know.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2014-09-16

I am on Win8.1
After updating bios to the lattest (28) I did also suffer random power-on's. I had to disable wake up on usb inside windows. Now it is OK.
I did not need to do this before BIOS 28 (dont know for 27, because I skipped it, I think I was on 25 custom build before, I would need to check to be sure).
Oh, and reverting to previous BIOS down from 28 did also not help anymore.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2014-09-16

Guess the BIOS upgrade made some changes to the IR programming.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2014-09-16

And to USB power managment.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - megalodon - 2014-09-17

voip-ninja, I did read all your posts and I have posted this on the Intel forums with no response from Intel which doesn't surprise me. I have however had a reply from one Openelec user who says that the latest beta version of openelec and bios 0.28 work without any random restarts so I may give that a go, but I prefer to stay on a stable version if I can. One user also pointed out that although 0.28 works with the xbox that the pause button also powers on the NUC now so playing a movie on the xbox and pausing it will startup the NUC. I hope they fix this as it could be a pain for a lot of users.

(2014-09-16, 09:57)ausmedia Wrote: I just bought a new D54250WYKH intel nuc

I haven't installed openelec yet , does this model have the same problem of not turning on with via remote etc with latest bios 28 or should i stay with the stock bios ?

Version 0.24 or 0.25 if you have them. If its a later version you may as well run 0.28. 0.28 turns on with the remote fine.