Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-17

Nvm fixed

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-11-17

(2013-11-17, 07:24)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 05:46)Clack Wrote: Ran it, rebooted, no luck.

Then ran:

# sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh
# dmesg | tail -15

no luck.

btw, I really appreciate all your collective help with this. Wife won't be happy with me if I can't make it go..... :/ Big Grin
What's the output of those commands?

I get:

OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.2.3
OpenELEC:~ # sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh
: not foundonfig/autostart.sh: line 2:
not found.ATAL: Module nuvoton-cir
/storage/.config/autostart.sh: line 4: can't create /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN053: nonexistent directoryurces
: not foundonfig/autostart.sh: line 6:
OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | tail -15
[ 3.230675] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 3.230687] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[ 3.255049] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[ 3.255053] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[ 3.255061] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[ 3.274628] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 58 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 3.377811] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 58 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 3.377924] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[ 5.648475] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: data=ordered,commit=0
[ 5.658654] EXT4-fs (sda2): re-mounted. Opts: data=ordered,commit=0
[ 6.283970] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
[ 6.284014] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[ 7.015938] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 7.015955] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 7.015958] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
OpenELEC:~ #

and for whatever reason I reboot instead of shutdown now

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-17

Yeah i had the reboot instead of shutdown Problem occasionaly too, activating S4/S5 in BIOS fixed it for me.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-17

(2013-11-17, 20:12)Clack Wrote: I get:

OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.2.3
OpenELEC:~ # sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh
: not foundonfig/autostart.sh: line 2:
/storage/.config/autostart.sh: line 4: can't create /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN053: nonexistent directoryurces
: not foundonfig/autostart.sh: line 6:
I think you have the script in DOS format instead of unix. Did you use the network share and a Windows text editor to create it?

You could try running vi/nano/whatever you're comfortable with on the NUC and cut'n'pasting into it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - aesalazar - 2013-11-17

(2013-11-17, 20:20)gamble Wrote: Yeah i had the reboot instead of shutdown Problem occasionaly too, activating S4/S5 in BIOS fixed it for me.

What do you mean by activating it? When option is it in the bios?

Thanks
Ernie

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-11-18

[/quote]
I think you have the script in DOS format instead of unix. Did you use the network share and a Windows text editor to create it?

You could try running vi/nano/whatever you're comfortable with on the NUC and cut'n'pasting into it.
[/quote]

Yes, I opened the network share on a windows machine and edited the script in notepad.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sticking with me Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - aesalazar - 2013-11-18

(2013-11-18, 00:30)Clack Wrote:
Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718

Yes, I opened the network share on a windows machine and edited the script in notepad.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sticking with me Big Grin

Use Notepad++ if you want to edit it in windows. Just start from scratch so there is nothing left of the original problem content.

If you do it in the shell like lmyllari suggests - which is the most reliable way to do it - use nano, it is much easier to learn then vi.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-11-18

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys! Now I'll see if I can get the auto reboot figured out.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-18

(2013-11-16, 07:41)lmyllari Wrote: Two options:

1) Full range output:
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding

2) Limited range output (with nightly):
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding, set 16-235 range in system -> video and set limited range RGB from your TV/monitor. This gives the best quality (no banding in greyscale ramp, blacks and whites don't clip).
Thank you lmyllari. I tried the test package you linked and setting #2 was the only one that gave me acceptable results. Much better! Excellent work!!

Hopefully software decoding holds up under the strain.

Do you suspect the Intel driver or XBMC as the source of the problem? How can we report it to the right party?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-18

I think the color problem is with colorspace selection. I tried a lot of combinations of vaapi and sw decoding using mplayer, mplayer2 and gstreamer and it looks like the color clipping happens when bt.601 is used (HD is bt.709).

It looks like the Intel VA-API driver has hardcoded bt.601 coefficients and doesn't check the flags passed to vaPutSurface().

edit: I filed the bug at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71719

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-18

lmyllari, did u see my posting where i tried ur configurations, any word about it?

Problem is for ME i see NO difference when disabling VA-API and set it to software decoding,
i now have 3.2.3 running with autostart set to Full-RGB and i get as opposed the crushed blacks,
but switching VA-API on/off makes no change for me...i even tried rebooting after disabling it...still no change...

And where in the XBMC Display Settings can i choose 16...235, i can not see that option...should be in the same menu as VA-API i guess...?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-18

From memory:

For 16-235 in XBMC you need to enable "Expert Level" Settings (it's in the hidden left panel in the System Settings), and also be running a nightly build (I believe).

Ah, have to try that at home, u said u succeded with Opt#2, so your are running the Nightly now?

Excuse the question i am pretty new to XBMC and OpenElecĀ“...are there Frodo AND Gotham Nightlies...? Always thought Nightlies
are just Gotham Alpha Versions..?

Which Nightly r u guys running, direct link would help me most, thanks !

regards

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-18

(2013-11-18, 07:37)gamble Wrote: lmyllari, did u see my posting where i tried ur configurations, any word about it?

Problem is for ME i see NO difference when disabling VA-API and set it to software decoding,
i now have 3.2.3 running with autostart set to Full-RGB and i get as opposed the crushed blacks,
but switching VA-API on/off makes no change for me...i even tried rebooting after disabling it...still no change...

And where in the XBMC Display Settings can i choose 16...235, i can not see that option...should be in the same menu as VA-API i guess...?
Hi gamble,

I saw your post but couldn't yet figure out what was going on. Can you clarify how changing the RGB range with xrandr works for you? Are you getting grey blacks with "Limited 16:235" and crushed blacks with "Full"?

The color problem doesn't seem to be with VA-API decoding itself, any path which uses bt.601 will show the same issue. Maybe take a look at xbmc log and see what the player says?

The 16..235 option is only in Gotham, but 16..235 didn't work reliably for me using VA-API. The way VA-API works I'm not optimistic that it can be implemented nicely.

edit: I think the VA-API post processing code in Intel driver has the same problem, and the API doesn't seem to support limited range output. For high quality output, the best bet might be multithreaded software decoding in Gotham. I wonder if the VA-API devs would be open to adding support for user specified coefficients..

(2013-11-18, 08:12)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-18, 07:37)gamble Wrote: lmyllari, did u see my posting where i tried ur configurations, any word about it?

Hi gamble,

I saw your post but couldn't yet figure out what was going on. Can you clarify how changing the RGB range with xrandr works for you? Are you getting grey blacks with "Limited 16:235" and crushed blacks with "Full"?

The color problem doesn't seem to be with VA-API decoding itself, any path which uses bt.601 will show the same issue. Maybe take a look at xbmc log and see what the player says?

The 16..235 option is only in Gotham, but 16..235 didn't work reliably for me using VA-API. The way VA-API works I'm not optimistic that it can be implemented nicely.

Sorry, i am from AT so my engl. isnĀ“t the best and things get even worse when triing to explain
things i dont completly understand lol Smile

Xandr works for me as u stated

Limited 16-235 RGB -> Blacks are greyish but Details are there, for now i am using this method and made a Color Profile on my TV for it

Full RGB -> Crushed Blacks, on first sight this looks better cuz black IS black, but many Details get Lost ( I watched the same scenes on my BR Player and the NUC side-by-side)

Yesterday i tried like u suggested, stable 3.2.3 -> Full-RGB, turned VA-API off and selected Software for Decoding..but i see no difference from turning VA-API on/off
it doesnt change the colorspace or anything.. still crushed blacks and lost details..?

Only thing left to try as i see it now is switching to Nightly Gotham Build where i can set the 16-235 in Video Settings...which Nightly are u guys using..?