Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-22, 18:51)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 18:19)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 17:34)Selene Wrote: I found out that the power button on my nuc still works fyi, it just only powers the thing off if it's not already on. It's not a hardware issue, it's a bios issue, most likely.

Something you have changed or something thats randomly happened? Mine still works for both on and off so bit weird :S

Hate to think that any day now my power button will just stop working Rofl

(2013-11-22, 17:40)deaerator Wrote: What version of windows are you using.

Both using Windows 7, but 8 works just as well, its probably now just a personal preference thing for what you want to go for - that and cost I guess Tongue

Did you do the regedit trick to make your sleep turn the computer off? and the skin changes to remove the welcome screen microsoft logos and the boot animations!

I can't even tell my NUC is windows!

It just won't power on using the button from a cold start. I don't know if I changed anything.

I did the reg edit for sleep button, yes. Haven't gone to remove the animations yet, I was planning on though. But I can't see the power button being related to anything you do on the OS surly? Doesn't it have to be some setting in the bios? It's probably some weird bios bug where you turn deep s4/s5 and the button stops lol, I haven't touched anything in the bios and mine works fine still Tongue

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Ravetrancer - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 09:39)gamble Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 01:01)arokh Wrote: Not exactly the same, I can bitstream or decode both DTS/DD just fine but not the HD audio formats. Can play them one time though before needing a reboot Smile

Tried a lil more and found out that i can playback DTS-HiRes 7.1 no Problem, but when i switch to a normal DD 5.1,
it starts all again...HD-Mstr sometimes work, sometimes not...i just can't figure out how this started, i u just flashed to the new Nightly and
first Movie -> no Sound...after that i can do what i want (BIOS flag, total new install..) the Problem stays..its driving me nuts..
For me it worked by enabling passthrough in the audio settings in OElec. But this night some new strange behaviour with the picture came.
With the video settings enabled as the are recommended now everytime i paused a movie the picture got brighter and greyer. When unpausing it got to dark. When pausing and unpausing once more it was ok again.

Isnt the best thing to install the last stable 3.2.3 and then configire autostart.sh for the CIR and the blacks and we should be ok, or is it other features that isnt on the stable 3.2.3 that we need?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Mangoes - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 12:34)Ravetrancer Wrote: For me it worked by enabling passthrough in the audio settings in OElec.

Did this many times, TrueHD, DTS-HDMA and DTS-HR still don't work.

(2013-11-23, 12:34)Ravetrancer Wrote: But this night some new strange behaviour with the picture came.
With the video settings enabled as the are recommended now everytime i paused a movie the picture got brighter and greyer. When unpausing it got to dark. When pausing and unpausing once more it was ok again.

I don't have this issue.

(2013-11-23, 12:34)Ravetrancer Wrote: Isnt the best thing to install the last stable 3.2.3 and then configire autostart.sh for the CIR and the blacks and we should be ok, or is it other features that isnt on the stable 3.2.3 that we need?

Among the important features, Gotham adds FLAC 6.1 audio and automatic forced subtitles switching depending on the active audio language (this makes mkv subtitles work like a normal DVD/Bluray player, with auto forced subtitles switching on the fly).

3.2.3 doesn't have these features, and as all my TrueHD and DTS-HDMA is converted to lossless FLAC (to save space), I won't go back to 3.2.3.

The only problem for me is DTS-HR. I keep them as it is smaller to keep it as is than to convert them to FLAC. So I currently can't play those few tracks with gotham (should perhaps switch off passthrough for those).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-11-23

Hi guys

I've just got my i5 Haswell nuc up and running and although it plays movies etc through my receiver I'm looking to get to the bottom of all of the known issues with this new hardware and xbmc (specifically openelec).

I've been reading through the thread and it's mayhem trying to pickup on what could be wrong and whether there is a fix for it.

Therefore I was wondering (and I know this is a big ask) whether anyone has, so far, summarised the known issues (with the new Haswell nuc and xbmc) anywhere along with the known fixes/status of those issues? I understand this would be a massive task for someone to do from scratch and that's not necessarily what I was suggesting (otherwise I'd do it myself), I was more wondering whether someone who's been working through the issues from day one has kept a record of any sort that might help us new Haswell nuc owners (and Linux numpties like me) get up and running quicker.

From what I've gathered so far I think there's the following but please do add to the list:

1) The lack of proper USB 3 support (at least under openelec)? I can plug in a cabled, USB mouse, but my wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard doesn't work, which leads me to believe a 3rd part ir receiver wouldn't either, please correct me here.

2) the built in ir receiver isn't detected (at least in openelec) and so cannot be used with my harmony 900 remote? Any news/fixes on this?

3) I'm running with pretty standard settings I.e. Vaapi on etc, but I understand the quality of the black levels and colours may be poor with intels hd graphics. Are there any fixes for either issues? (Specifically for openelec)

Please add any other issues that I might have missed and where they're at or what you've experienced.

Finally, for those who've given up and gone back to windows, has this sorted all of these issues or do most still remain etc.

I'm not a mad tinkerer so I'm looking for the most stable solution that just works, which I can then replicate to all rooms of the house. I love the idea of openelec and my i5 flies using it, but if it's going to need me to become a Linux guru just to watch a movie with the right levels/colours and sound then I need to be looking at another solution ( I have 3 kids so the days of endless hours tinkering to get something working are well gone).

Like I say, it may have been done/asked for earlier in the thread so please excuse me if I'm repeating somewhere else, also, I'm happy to follow links etc, so any hints to the correct direction would be great, thanks.

(2013-11-23, 13:21)zoroeyes Wrote: 1) The lack of proper USB 3 support (at least under openelec)? I can plug in a cabled, USB mouse, but my wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard doesn't work, which leads me to believe a 3rd part ir receiver wouldn't either, please correct me here.

2) the built in ir receiver isn't detected (at least in openelec) and so cannot be used with my harmony 900 remote? Any news/fixes on this?

This is fixed with the autostart.sh script, as posted earlier in the thread. Go a few pages back.

My harmony remote works great (including power on from full off), as does the Logitech K400 keyboard.

(2013-11-23, 13:21)zoroeyes Wrote: 3) I'm running with pretty standard settings I.e. Vaapi on etc, but I understand the quality of the black levels and colours may be poor with intels hd graphics. Are there any fixes for either issues? (Specifically for openelec)

xrandr RGB full improves the colors (also in the autostart script) but dark areas are still too black. Fixes seem to be coming but it still isn't fixed yet (vaapi).

To fix the color issues, you can disable vaapi and enable multithreading software decoder in the Gotham video settings.

With the nightlies, you can add:

There's an issue with HD audio passthrough.

Auto vaapi deinterlacing has issues (I have it at off so it's fine, otherwise Live TV is corrupted).

Power off seems to work after it first reboots.

Other than this it works fine (with some minor bugs / minor stability issues).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-11-23

Thanks mangoes, that's great, I'll give those a try and report back, again, thanks for the fast response.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - un1versal - 2013-11-23

After a bit more research which I should have done before purchasing (not just reading these threads as I have no interest in OE), I have decided to return/cancel my order for the nuc BOXD54250WYK and ssd and ram

* un1versal will stick to Nvidia for any pc/htpc needs as these have always served me very well for as long as old age itself.

(2013-11-23, 13:55)uNiversal Wrote: After a bit more research which I should have done before purchasing (not just reading these threads as I have no interest in OE), I have decided to return/cancel my order for the nuc BOXD54250WYK and ssd and ram

* uNiversal will stick to Nvidia for any pc/htpc needs as these have always served me very well for as long as old age itself.

Earlier in the thread, everything was reported to be working fine with windows (as you say you have no interest in OE).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 12:34)Ravetrancer Wrote: Isnt the best thing to install the last stable 3.2.3 and then configire autostart.sh for the CIR and the blacks and we should be ok, or is it other features that isnt on the stable 3.2.3 that we need?

No colors are too dark this way, u need to set limited range in the video settings swell and this is only possible in Gotham Builds..
Multicore also jus works on the newer Nightlies..

(2013-11-23, 13:14)Mangoes Wrote: The only problem for me is DTS-HR. I keep them as it is smaller to keep it as is than to convert them to FLAC. So I currently can't play those few tracks with gotham (should perhaps switch off passthrough for those).

As said i was getting Sound problems too out of nowhere, erasing my Userdata Folder completely and reflashing to 3.2.3 helped..

(2013-11-23, 14:07)gamble Wrote: As said i was getting Sound problems too out of nowhere, erasing my Userdata Folder completely and reflashing to 3.2.3 helped..

Yes, but I'm not going back to 3.2.3.

After waiting for years forced subtitles finally works properly with Gotham (it now finally feels like a Bluray / DVD player), as does FLAC 6.1 audio. Angel

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2013-11-23

Tranquil PC offers Haswell NUC
Abel H3 for 399 pounds (comes in three colors - black - blue - red)

What you get:
Limited Edition H3 PC
Intel 4th Generation i3 4010U Core Processor
Incl 1x mini DisplayPort 1.2 and 1x mini HDMI 1.4, both supporting audio.
Internal 4GB DDR3 Fast RAM
Internal fast 60GB solid state drive (500MB/s)
Windows 7 Professional
Internal WiFi (802 b/g/n) module and external high gain antenna
Dome power switch (to rear)
Internal thermal damping technology
Universal External Power Supply
Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter
Silent Operation - 0db - The ABEL H Series is 100% silent - there are no moving parts... the ABEL H3 offers complete silent operation.
FIVE years limited warranty

more here
http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/abel-h3/

also there is an i5 version for 548 pounds

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 13:55)uNiversal Wrote: After a bit more research which I should have done before purchasing (not just reading these threads as I have no interest in OE), I have decided to return/cancel my order for the nuc BOXD54250WYK and ssd and ram

* uNiversal will stick to Nvidia for any pc/htpc needs as these have always served me very well for as long as old age itself.

You are not really reading posts well. NUC is really great device and it works under Windows very well.
As I can see if NUC is used only for XBMC, then OE will be best and you wont need i5 then, but you can go for canyon horse, since it is sufficient when HW decoding will be sorted out.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Ravetrancer - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 14:17)Mangoes Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 14:07)gamble Wrote: As said i was getting Sound problems too out of nowhere, erasing my Userdata Folder completely and reflashing to 3.2.3 helped..

After waiting for years forced subtitles finally works properly with Gotham (it now finally feels like a Bluray / DVD player), as does FLAC 6.1 audio. Angel

What does forced subtitles mean?

(2013-11-23, 14:54)Ravetrancer Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 14:17)Mangoes Wrote:

What does forced subtitles mean?

Forced subtitles is text that is displayed even when no subtitles are selected.

Example 1: when foreign languages are spoken or foreign language texts appear on the screen, you get the translation with forced subtitles.

Example 2: sometimes forced subtitles are used to display information on the screen (ex: geographical locations or dates). In some cases these texts are not hard coded in the movie, so there is no other way to get this information (example: when the first Jason Bourne movie starts, forced subtitles display information about the location "Mediteraneen Sea" and date. Without these subtitles you don't know where the action is taking place).

With both example, if you don't have the forced subtitles, comprehension about what is going on in the movie is lost.

With mkvs the "forced subtitle" flag has to be set (this is done with mkvmerge, you can also edit the flag without remuxing: File> header editor).

Bluray and DVD players do this automatically. Now with Gotham it finally also works, even with mkvs, it switches automatically to the active audio language.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-23

I would love to know why?

My i5 NUC on windows 7 is brilliant, I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about it at the moment. It just works.