Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Mangoes - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 15:54)Alchete Wrote: FYI - The OE daily with white/black range fix is now available: http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-generic-x86_64-r16441-download/

Is there any difference between this and lmyllari's build?

Does it also include the limited range passthrough?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 14:39)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 07:55)Clack Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 05:49)lmyllari Wrote: I second this, I reset my BIOS to defaults, fixed the boot options and the latest build seems to be shutting down nicely.

Or maybe it's just random and it'll start acting up again.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm on the latest bios. Reset and saved defaults, same thing. FWIW, upon shutting down the first time after the reset the shutdown hangs.

It look you have very similar problem as me, but then my NUC began to loose contact with USB devices and internal SSD.
I have returned it for revision... after I have got new one as replacement and now works as it should.

I suggest you to do the same... if power button does not work even if you disconnect all devices, including SSD if installed), except RAM of course, then tyou surely have faulty HW.

On the other hand I suffer from F2 entering BIOS problems. When I hit F2, NUC just freezes (I can get into the BIOS once of twenty tryouts). Interestingly F7 and F10 works everytime.
There are a million posts on internet about this problems generaly with Intel.
Do anyone of you have working workaround tip?

From the intel troubleshooting page: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034211.htm

I'm going to try:

Changes in BIOS settings (such as performance settings) can cause a system to no longer boot.

Restore BIOS defaults:

Press F2 during boot to enter the BIOS Setup.
Press F9 to load factory defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS Setup.
If restoring BIOS defaults does not work, clear the CMOS:

Disconnect the computer power cord from the AC power source.
Remove the computer cover.
Locate the yellow configuration jumper on the board.
Move the jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3.
Plug the computer back in, you can leave the cover off, and turn it on.
The computer will automatically enter Maintenance Mode.
Press F9 to load factory defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS Setup.
Turn off the computer.
Disconnect the computer power cord from the AC power source again.
Move the yellow jumper back to pins 1-2.
Replace the cover.
Plug the computer back in and turn it on.
You might need to perform a BIOS Recovery after clearing the CMOS. This can be done even when there is no display on the computer.

With the jumper switched I couldn't get into the bios. I think I need to re-enable boot from usb, remove the SSD, put an openelec usb boot drive in, see if I can F2 into maintenance mode, clear CMOS and see if it works. When I had no hhd it asked me to load a bootable deviec but didn't recognize the USB boot stick. When I put the SSD back in the jumper switched, it booted direct with no chance/splash screen to enter and F9, F10 the bios.

Ran out of time this morning before work. If this doesn't do it I think I'm returning for a new one.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - quintixbox - 2013-11-27

Hi Imyllari,

Thanks for the build, it seems to work as advertised, blacks are deep and defined and bright areas are crisp. No more washed out grays.
I'll keep on testing and report any issues.

Keep up the good work,
Q

(2013-11-27, 07:50)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 01:06)mstef Wrote: You can try, we can test, please.
I've uploaded a 3.2 with color/black fixes to https://www.dropbox.com/s/htrw49uctfo1d0k/OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-devel-20131126123813-r15940.tar

Not tested, good luck Tongue

edit: full disclosure - I use the builds from git master

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-27

OpenELEC nightly now has the Intel black levels patch for HW decoding

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-generic-x86_64-r16441-download/

If you try it, please post results.

-- Fixes --
c42b141 rework timezone setup
adb0cf1 Merge pull request #2776 from fritsch/master
f58cd88 i915: Fix Full Limited conversion

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - orion90 - 2013-11-27

I moved my NUC over to our projector the other day and Windows 8.1 has black issues as well. Also, have to set audio to Optical or Analog for playback to be above 1-2fps for DTS-HDMA tracks.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 20:10)orion90 Wrote: I moved my NUC over to our projector the other day and Windows 8.1 has black issues as well. Also, have to set audio to Optical or Analog for playback to be above 1-2fps for DTS-HDMA tracks.

1) update drivers
2) windows update
3) try limited (16-255) see if that fixes color issue
4) set audio device properly, dont leave on directsound (that fixes your FPS issue)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 20:02)Alchete Wrote: OpenELEC nightly now has the Intel black levels patch for HW decoding

I just tried it. I didn't test much, but so far the nuc crashes when trying to go into standby. Is it just me?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 22:26)micoba Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 20:02)Alchete Wrote: OpenELEC nightly now has the Intel black levels patch for HW decoding

I just tried it. I didn't test much, but so far the nuc crashes when trying to go into standby. Is it just me?

I've had this problem always. 'Suspend' causes the working dialogue to come up, then it hangs. I have now got it to fully shut down though, but suspend would be good as I expect this is the only way to wake on LAN? Please correct me here, but I'm thinking that a fully shutdown nuc can't be started from the remote, it needed to be suspended instead?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 22:35)zoroeyes Wrote: I've had this problem always. 'Suspend' causes the working dialogue to come up, then it hangs. I have now got it to fully shut down though, but suspend would be good as I expect this is the only way to wake on LAN? Please correct me here, but I'm thinking that a fully shutdown nuc can't be started from the remote, it needed to be suspended instead?
I think both wake on lan and infrared should be able to start up the NUC from complete shutdown.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-11-27

Really? And has anyone got this to work yet?

Surely that would require that the nuc go into a lower power state in order to provide power to the NIC and the CIR, in which case, would that not be a bios setting first?

I don't know much about how it works, just thinking logically.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ChopD - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 14:28)quintixbox Wrote: 3. The NUC does not "speak" CEC out of the box. However, it does have a Custom Solution Header so you could install the Internal HDMI-CEC Adapter from Pulse-Eight (24 euro).

Note that the internal CEC adaptor won't fit into the current case, there's not enough room. I have the external adaptor, and though it does work it won't pass a signal through to the TV from a cold boot, only when resuming from suspend (I have a support case open with Pulse Eight at the moment).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-27

Yes, I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Ravetrancer - 2013-11-27

Imyllari: Can u make it possible to scan NFS shares?
I added my TVshows, and it wont scan. All my shows are in separate folders.
But when i was inside the TVshows folder i could for example scan for new content on Big Bang Theory and it found all files.
Also worked on all other TVshows i have.
It works on the Movies as well, but then i have to Scan for new content on every single Movie folder, and with 800+ movies it would take toooooo long.
Somehow it feels just like a minor thing to make it scan the entire Movie share folder, feels just like it skips a step because when inside the movies share folder it works.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-27, 23:45)Ravetrancer Wrote: Imyllari: Can u make it possible to scan NFS shares?
I added my TVshows, and it wont scan. All my shows are in separate folders.
But when i was inside the TVshows folder i could for example scan for new content on Big Bang Theory and it found all files.
Also worked on all other TVshows i have.
It works on the Movies as well, but then i have to Scan for new content on every single Movie folder, and with 800+ movies it would take toooooo long.
Somehow it feels just like a minor thing to make it scan the entire Movie share folder, feels just like it skips a step because when inside the movies share folder it works.
Sorry, I don't use shares (or even library yet). If you get some logs and file an issue, maybe someone else will be able to help you?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-11-28

(2013-11-27, 23:38)arokh Wrote: Yes, I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote.

Hi arokh

Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs. I thought so far that everyone could possibly power down but not back up again.

Can you give details of your bios version and anything you might have tweaked to enable full power on/off functionality. It's the only thing stopping mine from being the complete solution.

Cheers