Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Maniac - 2013-12-01

I've been thinking about getting this i5 version D54250WYK.

I do not need a big mSata disk, perhaps just 120gb. Anything specific I need to look for?

How is the fan-noise when it is idle and when you are watching a movie? (I'll be using it in the living room)

Do any of you keep it on 24\7 or do you shut it down after use?

Is the IR receiver responsive from all angles?

Thanks

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - BLKMGK - 2013-12-01

I have not setup the 360 remote myself but I looked it up and it appears doable as its supported, perhaps the other above can help you figure it out.

There's no room for an internal HDD in these boxes, they are smaller than a full sized drive and not enough space for a laptop drive. They use a special card style SSD that plugs into a dedicated slot. You could get away with as little as 16gig easily if you run Openelec. On my second NUC I ordered a 60gig drive as that seemed a good price point. I did still buy 8gig of memory but again because of price point not need. These use SODIMM so it's laptop memory, a single 4gig stick would be fine I believe but check specs. A USB stick could be used instead of a drive easily and it need not even be USB 3, I'm using a USB 2 stick now for testing and its fine once booted - boot is fairly quick too...

Fan noise is fine for me so far on my i3 but it's not in my bedroom. Infrared receiver is responsive but I've not tried anything crazy. Hope that helps!

To be crystal clear on getting remotes working, follow this posting -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1560325#pid1560325

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Janhaus - 2013-12-02

About to get an i3 Haswell NUC! Quick question - I looked through this thread and also at this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1560325#pid1560325

Is the best OpenELEC build for NUC's the most recent one posted in THIS thread? Or the nightlies? Just checking, thanks!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-12-02

(2013-12-02, 01:37)Janhaus Wrote: About to get an i3 Haswell NUC! Quick question - I looked through this thread and also at this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1560325#pid1560325

Is the best OpenELEC build for NUC's the most recent one posted in THIS thread? Or the nightlies? Just checking, thanks!
Nightlies should have all the fixes at the moment. There's still a few issues that we don't have fixes for, but fritsch is really quick in getting them to nightlies as soon as they become available.

I made a debug build and filed a bug report about the HBR audio and mode switching issue at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72212

Fingers crossed for another miracle fix from Ville S Tongue

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-12-02

Thank you lmyllari. A minor point, but in the bug report when you mention "resolution matching", do you mean "refresh rate" matching?

(2013-12-02, 07:26)Alchete Wrote: Thank you lmyllari. A minor point, but in the bug report when you mention "resolution matching", do you mean "refresh rate" matching?
Thanks, that's what I should've put there. I doubt they use xbmc anyway, the log should tell the story.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - musicman_234 - 2013-12-02

Newcomer here. Been reading this thread with great interest, as i have an i5 NUC. For the life of me, I can't get the CIR working. I've read, and re-read, the threads on how to fix it (the workaround). I'm not a Linux expert, but my trouble seems to be that I can't actually modify the resources file for the NTN0530. I do the 'echo "auto"...' Command, and then cat the file, and its no different. I've played with permissions (chmod) to no avail. The resources file always starts with "status = disabled". I've verified CIR is enabled in BIOS.

I'm running Linux mint 15. Fully upgraded it.
Help?

(2013-12-02, 07:53)musicman_234 Wrote: Newcomer here. Been reading this thread with great interest, as i have an i5 NUC. For the life of me, I can't get the CIR working. I've read, and re-read, the threads on how to fix it (the workaround). I'm not a Linux expert, but my trouble seems to be that I can't actually modify the resources file for the NTN0530. I do the 'echo "auto"...' Command, and then cat the file, and its no different. I've played with permissions (chmod) to no avail. The resources file always starts with "status = disabled". I've verified CIR is enabled in BIOS.

I'm running Linux mint 15. Fully upgraded it.
Help?
Can you post a direct cut'n'paste of the commands and results?

My resources is as follows (and IR works):
Code:
i5-nuc:~ # cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00\:08/resources
state = disabled
io 0x240-0x24f
irq 3
io 0x250-0x25f

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2013-12-02

Everything under /sys is generally only writable by root, so you need to use sudo or in some other way run the command as root.

Also be aware that everything under /sys is NOT a real file, it is created by the kernel to give a file system like * interface to certain kernel facilities. Similar to /proc. Sometimes you therefore get unexpected behaviour. You can (as root) write to it, but the effects are not always what you expect.

Oh and of course in a different kernel, your pnp/00:08 node may be a completely different device.

* in unix, everything is a file - the main exception in linux being network devices like eth0 and lo.

(2013-12-02, 08:18)nickr Wrote: Oh and of course in a different kernel, your pnp/00:08 node may be a completely different device.
/sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources should be a stable way to address it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Dogboltt - 2013-12-02

Hi, newcomer here. I've just bought the haswell i3 NUC and this is the way I got my remote to work.
It's a logitec 700 configured as MC

SSH to openelec box and type:

cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod 0777 autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

Now I know virtually nothing about linux, but managed to find a way just by searching, and searching, and searching..... So hopefully this will save some of you some time.

cheers
dg

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-02

Yesterday I installed Win 7 on my i3. Is it my configuration or is it generally THAT slowerHuh I ordered a second 2GB Ram from Corsair. Hope for the best...

The picture quality is poor, too. I'm using the latest drivers. What can I do to improve it?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Dogboltt - 2013-12-02

I should also add that I'm running the latest generic version of Openelec which has the Frodo 12.2 version of XBMC, and both power on and power off from the remote work fine.
I tried the Openelec version in this thread and the remote worked fine with that too, but the add-ons I use don't work in Gotham at the mo. so back to Frodo for now

cheers

dg

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bry - 2013-12-02

buying this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102053 any deals on ram/ msata ?