Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - iHateMemphiz - 2013-12-13

Gotta say I love the NUC form factor but good grief, I'm really not having any luck with stability
On the i5 haswell, each morning I get a memory filled up error and need to reboot the machine
also, lots of my vc1 videos don't play < sigh >

same issue with my i3 NUC (previous generation) as far as video goes

All running Windows 8.1 64-bit

EDIT:
On my i5 with old graphics drivers and dxva2 disabled, i get near perfect playback of everything

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ge714 - 2013-12-13

Hello everyone, I was about to post a new topic on this subject but found this intel nuc sticky.

I'm in the process of purchasing an Intel Nuc i3 but dont know which ssd to get. I was initially considering an Intel 525 Series 60 GB SSD but I've read that it sometimes fails to boot. And now Im a little worried and kind of hesitant. I looked into a Crucial ssd but that has its own set of problems.

Question:
Which SSD works flawlessly for your Nuc? I just need a reliable one that wouldn't fail on me.

btw, I plan on running xbmc + advanced launcher with Quick WMC for livetv. This is purely just for streaming with no recording.

please help.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Ravetrancer - 2013-12-14

(2013-12-13, 23:47)ge714 Wrote: Hello everyone, I was about to post a new topic on this subject but found this intel nuc sticky.

I'm in the process of purchasing an Intel Nuc i3 but dont know which ssd to get. I was initially considering an Intel 525 Series 60 GB SSD but I've read that it sometimes fails to boot. And now Im a little worried and kind of hesitant. I looked into a Crucial ssd but that has its own set of problems.

Question:
Which SSD works flawlessly for your Nuc? I just need a reliable one that wouldn't fail on me.

btw, I plan on running xbmc + advanced launcher with Quick WMC for livetv. This is purely just for streaming with no recording.

please help.
i use a Kingstone 120gb, no issues at all.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ascl_ - 2013-12-14

I use the intel msata one (just 30GB), its been fine.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ge714 - 2013-12-14

thanks for the replies, I think those reviews on the ssd are just old, dated from around July. Its probably fixed by now.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - fdbghmctwrnvlsz - 2013-12-14

Which wireless card are you guys using?
I am using this one http://www.amazon.com/Intel-6235AN-HMWWB-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIWI
and it keeps disconnecting for no reason.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-14

Guys, I'm concerned about the temps of my new i5.

Core Temp shows 60 degrees celsius for both cores while playing music with milkdrop visualisation. Cooling is set to 40%.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - twelvebore - 2013-12-14

(2013-12-14, 12:58)micoba Wrote: Guys, I'm concerned about the temps of my new i5.

Core Temp shows 60 degrees celsius for both cores while playing music with milkdrop visualisation. Cooling is set to 40%.

What's wrong with that? NUCs have mobile CPUs, they're designed to run hot.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Intel-Core-i5-4250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz

TJUNCTION 100°C

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Settepotet - 2013-12-14

(2013-11-12, 13:20)arokh Wrote: I got 1.35v RAM and the NUC was working fine, just my mini hdmi to hdmi converter that was not working. Either that or my AVR is incompatible somehow. I got it working using a mini display to hdmi cable, although I would not get a picture unless I plugged the cable after power on. Changing preferred display to displayport in BIOS solved that, so I'm now a happy camper.

Having the same problem here. No luck with a standard mini-hdmi adapter supplied with a nvidia card . It works with my standard computer, but the monitor says no signal with the Nuc. The Nuc boots and stays on, with usb mouse/keyboard lit up.

Will try a new adapter and maybe also a displayport one. Does DP support HD Audio? DTS hdma and dolby truehd?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-12-14

(2013-12-13, 19:34)smashr Wrote: How is the video color accuracy coming out of these things? Thinking specifically of on openelec

The reason I ask is that my current set up is an ancient Shuttle Pentium 4 + basic NVIDIA which supports VDPAU. Prior to the VDPAU Studio Color Correction option, I had to seriously muck with my TV settings to get the black levels to look right. Once I enabled VDPAU Studio Color Correction, the same settings that worked for my Blu Ray player and FIOS box worked for the XBMC box.

I'd obviously like to keep it that way. Can these pump out accurate black and color levels similar to the nvidia based systems which support VDPAU Studio Color Correction?

Thanks!
I'm not sure of the exact details of the VDPAU implementation in xbmc, but the accuracy on recent OE nightlies on Haswell is good.

By default the drivers use limited range output. It works by having xbmc render full range and the GPU scaling to limited range. There was a bug in the drivers that lead to black levels that were too high when scaling to limited range. This has been fixed and black and white levels should be accurate. It is also possible to use full range output and that is accurate too.

There was another issue with bt.601 colorspace being used always. This lead to inaccurate colors. It was a bug in the Intel VAAPI driver, and has been fixed.

If you take a recent OE nightly, you'll get correct black and white levels and correct colorspace. The only issue is banding caused by limited range to full range conversion. You can get around it by using software decoding. As far as I can tell there is no technical limitation to prevent fixing this with VAAPI too.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-12-15

Hi all

Just a little feedback, I've been using imyllari's last patched build and it's been so solid I've not seen any reason to go to recent nightlies (unless someone can give me a good reason that I've missed in the thread this is??).

Got my harmony ultimate working nicely too (though I still have the hang when trying to sleep, think I'm missing some setting or something here because I read some people aren't having this issue on openelec?

My question is, I've just put one of the new intel 7260 ac wireless card into the i5 Nuc to see whether it'd perform ok in case i needed to put one of these boxes into a room without wired LAN. Anyhow, when connecting to my netgear r6300 ac router (on the 5ghz connection I.e. The quick one) the card connects but is showing something stupidly slow like 5mbps, whereas if I connect to the 2.4ghz connects (the N connection) it's showing around 150mbps. Basically I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the latest wireless cards on openelec, do you think it's missing drivers? And if so, how would someone update a driver in openelec (over ssh?)

Any help would be great, then I can feed back whether these cards are any good for anyone else consider the new faster wireless standard for their nuc

Cheers

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - fritsch - 2013-12-15

OpenELEC will get especially the intel drivers automatically. The intel card should be supported with our current kernel.

Try to measure real throughput.

Some reasons to upgrade: We fixed some audio stuff. E.g. 5.0 did not work correctly, AAC 7.1 did not map to the channels user expected. Besides that, we fixed some paplayer issues. But, yeah the build llmyllari has made is pretty nice.

I want to fix the two following bugs for OE4.0:

- mpeg2 deinterlacing is broken, this is a no go for SD LiveTV (bugreport here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72522
- VC1 interlaced is currently segfaulting. This is not correctly implemented in the hwaccel of ffmpeg, will workaround that to use sw decoding, if possible, we don't know of interlaced content, when opening avctx.

But that's it. We are in really good shape with OpenELEC and the new NUCs.

Thanks for your testing.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - smashr - 2013-12-15

For those (like me) waiting for Amazon to have these back in stock, there are few finally available! http://amzn.com/B00H3YT8CC

(2013-12-14, 23:17)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-12-13, 19:34)smashr Wrote: How is the video color accuracy coming out of these things? Thinking specifically of on openelec

The reason I ask is that my current set up is an ancient Shuttle Pentium 4 + basic NVIDIA which supports VDPAU. Prior to the VDPAU Studio Color Correction option, I had to seriously muck with my TV settings to get the black levels to look right. Once I enabled VDPAU Studio Color Correction, the same settings that worked for my Blu Ray player and FIOS box worked for the XBMC box.

I'd obviously like to keep it that way. Can these pump out accurate black and color levels similar to the nvidia based systems which support VDPAU Studio Color Correction?

Thanks!
I'm not sure of the exact details of the VDPAU implementation in xbmc, but the accuracy on recent OE nightlies on Haswell is good.

By default the drivers use limited range output. It works by having xbmc render full range and the GPU scaling to limited range. There was a bug in the drivers that lead to black levels that were too high when scaling to limited range. This has been fixed and black and white levels should be accurate. It is also possible to use full range output and that is accurate too.

There was another issue with bt.601 colorspace being used always. This lead to inaccurate colors. It was a bug in the Intel VAAPI driver, and has been fixed.

If you take a recent OE nightly, you'll get correct black and white levels and correct colorspace. The only issue is banding caused by limited range to full range conversion. You can get around it by using software decoding. As far as I can tell there is no technical limitation to prevent fixing this with VAAPI too.

Thank you!!!! I've officially taken the plunge!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zoroeyes - 2013-12-15

Hi fritsch

Thanks for the reply and yes you've really blitzed the issues in a very short time so credit to all involved. If you advise that we now move onto the more recent builds, are these available from the openelec site or do they need to be downloaded an compiled (I'm a Linux noob so I've always waited for the full USB stick route when installing versions).

As for the wireless card, if the latest drivers are part of the build then wouldn't the build I'm currently running probably contain them already?

I'll also try to measure some real throughput but it was buffering for 30 seconds or so for every few seconds worth of playback so it's certainly not performing at AC speeds that's for sure (I know this because I run 2 netgear r6300s as a wireless bridge from upstairs to downstairs and the link speed is nearly 900mbps and it runs full 40gb blu ray m2ts files with hd audio without breaking a sweat. But the new card, connecting to the master r6300 can't even stream for a few seconds without major buffering.

Very confusing, hence my question about drivers

Thanks again

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-12-15

(2013-12-14, 22:52)Settepotet Wrote: Having the same problem here. No luck with a standard mini-hdmi adapter supplied with a nvidia card . It works with my standard computer, but the monitor says no signal with the Nuc. The Nuc boots and stays on, with usb mouse/keyboard lit up.

Will try a new adapter and maybe also a displayet one. Does DP support HD Audio? DTS hdma and dolby truehd?

Yes it does. However, there's a bug in the ALSA/Linux driver that causes audio to disappear if you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled in XBMC.