Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-12-24

(2013-12-23, 15:53)OllieB Wrote: @Imyllari,

I have a question for you (completely new to the forurm - expecting my i3 NUC tomorrow): do you have any idea why the known fix has not been included in the stable 3.2.4 release? Will it ever, or do we have to wait for the Gotham release for that?
It doesn't make much sense to try to fix 3.2. The kernel fixes are now going into stable kernel versions too and would probably be pretty easy to pull in, and VAAPI might be easy to update, but that leaves xbmc audio issues. Gotham has the brand new audio engine which fixes these.

If you want just the black level and colorspace fixes, you could try the 3.2 based build I shared earlier. I would not recommend it though, nightlies have so many more fixes.

Quote:To be quite honest I am strongly thinking about going the Windows route to avoid display problems (I have a calibrated KURO last gen) and power off problems.
My opinion as another calibrated Kuro user: if you're willing to do a bit of advanced setup, go OE nightly or my build for best quality. Smile I don't think you can easily match that with Windows.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zag - 2013-12-24

(2013-12-24, 01:50)t2ffn Wrote: After trying to read through 140 pages to make sure the NUC haswell is working well under Linux/OpenElec I ashamedly give up many many pages back. For anyone new to the conversion like myself, could we get a quick recap on the NUC Haswell i3 D34010WYB (As I have my eye on this fetching device: http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/abel-h-series-custom-build/)

Does the built in IR work with OpenElec out of the box?
Does it wake from sleep/off via the remote? (MCE RC6 spec)
Does OpenElec do proper pass-through of HD Audio without issues?
Any other issues to note under OpenElec?

Many thanks to anyone that is up to date on the thread and can easily answer the above questions.

The Abel is awesome, I have one and its working great. It does get quite hot (70+ degrees) on music playback for some reason, but video playback (~50 degrees) is flawless.

The IR needs the fix in the first thread but works fine.
Mine seems to turn on and off with the MCE remote yes
Yes all Audio codecs seem to work fine
No other issues, the 3.2.4 openelec is running perfectly for me

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Taxcheat - 2013-12-24

Can anyone help me figure out how to get a Logitech Smart Control remote working with the new i5 NUC? I used the suggestions in this thread and set up the remote to emulate an MCE extender and MCE keyboard, but ShowKey.exe reports only the basic remote functions working (power, play/pause, numbers). The stuff like info, guide, the color buttons aren't recognized on the NUC -- info key is kinda important in XBMC. There must be something obvious I'm missing. I'm using the nuvotron IR driver from the Intel site. My googling shows there's an "ehome microsoft driver" but I figured I'd ask before installing random stuff.

Running windows 8.1 (sorry, Netflix superHD is a priority -- my server is linux). Total XBMC noob here. Still trying to get everything working. Getting close.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2013-12-24

(2013-12-23, 23:38)zag Wrote: Try a different refresh rate for video

It should work fine@ 60hz over hdmi

One of the primary reasons people are interested in a Haswell based NUC is that it does proper 23.976. If you were going to just run at 60hz save money and get an Ivy bridge.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Torroa - 2013-12-24

(2013-12-24, 17:44)Taxcheat Wrote: Can anyone help me figure out how to get a Logitech Smart Control remote working with the new i5 NUC? I used the suggestions in this thread and set up the remote to emulate an MCE extender and MCE keyboard, but ShowKey.exe reports only the basic remote functions working (power, play/pause, numbers). The stuff like info, guide, the color buttons aren't recognized on the NUC -- info key is kinda important in XBMC. There must be something obvious I'm missing. I'm using the nuvotron IR driver from the Intel site. My googling shows there's an "ehome microsoft driver" but I figured I'd ask before installing random stuff.

Running windows 8.1 (sorry, Netflix superHD is a priority -- my server is linux). Total XBMC noob here. Still trying to get everything working. Getting close.

Check out this little nifty utility, Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - pdlb71 - 2013-12-25

Happy Christmas to you all.

The i3 with XBMC 12.2 and w8.1 displays Movies & TV Shows perfectly.

Also have 20 concerts - mainly BD, all mkv via makeMkv - in a folder called Music Videos. But there are NOT listed under Music Videos. Why not ?

Under FILES, they play OK except for: Celine in Vegas 2008; Elvis on Tour 1972; Paul Rodgers in Glascow; Queen 1982 . These break up badly & I have tried numerous Settings & "fixes" without success. They play fine in VLC etc.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2013-12-25

How did you rip these files? Post media info.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Taxcheat - 2013-12-25

(2013-12-24, 23:53)Torroa Wrote: Check out this little nifty utility, Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool

thanks -- that worked. I guess I assumed microsoft remotes were designed to work out of the box. Confused
I have a lot of remapping to do.

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2013-12-25

Mce remotes are designed to work out of the box with mce.

(2013-12-25, 03:13)pdlb71 Wrote: Happy Christmas to you all.

The i3 with XBMC 12.2 and w8.1 displays Movies & TV Shows perfectly.

Also have 20 concerts - mainly BD, all mkv via makeMkv - in a folder called Music Videos. But there are NOT listed under Music Videos. Why not ?

Under FILES, they play OK except for: Celine in Vegas 2008; Elvis on Tour 1972; Paul Rodgers in Glascow; Queen 1982 . These break up badly & I have tried numerous Settings & "fixes" without success. They play fine in VLC etc.

Of those blurays I could find specs for all but one at blu-ray.com. they are all encoded with vc-1, which is possibly the reason they are failing. Or perhaps your audio setup is wrong.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-12-25

Best option is get gotham if you can, and for problematic videos, swap to multi-threaded processing and turn off VDPAU/VAAPI or whatever you're using for hardware acceleration. Also, if you're using Windows, you can use external players for *.VC1* files or something, launching them in PowerDVD or something else.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-12-26

So there is a good chance that the Autom RR Bug with HD-Audio gets fixed with the new Nightlies,
i have been in touch with Fritsch and he told me that the fix is within the OE Master and it should run with the next Testbuilds Smile

Also got my Inpactics case...gorgous...just need to get some heatsind paste

Didn't try yet but this could / should be the fix Smile

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/test/OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131225234657-r16713-ge734d59.tar

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Torroa - 2013-12-26

(2013-12-25, 07:11)Taxcheat Wrote:
(2013-12-24, 23:53)Torroa Wrote: Check out this little nifty utility, Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool

thanks -- that worked. I guess I assumed microsoft remotes were designed to work out of the box. Confused
I have a lot of remapping to do.

I also got discrete ON/OFF to work, but I had to edit the MCERemote.txt file to make it work. The ShowKey app might also be useful to identify each of the IR commands and then you probably have to edit the ..../userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml to match those IR commands. f4, f5.. and so on is probably easiest to use when you have to coordinate MyHarmony software, the MCE mapper and the custom keyboard map under XBMC. A backup of all the files is a handy tip

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Bryman31 - 2013-12-26

this may be an odd question to post here....

but are there TV's that work better or worse with the NUC? im thinking its time to upgrade our old DLP tv. im thinking something between 52" -60"

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2013-12-26

(2013-12-26, 04:24)Bryman31 Wrote: this may be an odd question to post here....

but are there TV's that work better or worse with the NUC? im thinking its time to upgrade our old DLP tv. im thinking something between 52" -60"

The NUC is like other video source devices like BD players. There aren't certain televisions that work better, although for general video quality with any video source device you should choose a quality plasma that is capable of 1080P/24.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gibsonlp - 2013-12-26

Hi.
I bought an I3 haswell NUC to for my brother, I installed openelec on it and everything seems to work fine.
I have a spare Harmony 700 I would like to give him, does anyone know how can I configure it to control the NUC via the builtin IR receiver?

Thanks.