Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - smonkey - 2013-12-28

So... I installed Mint earlier, and strangely, my changing channel problem appears to not be an issue any more :O

No idea how it's now working, but I'm not going to complain. I have had audio drop out once when I turned the TV off but I can't get it to happen again. Black levels seem to be mostly OK.

All I did was install Mint, then add the official XBMC repo and 'apt-get install xbmc' and it all worked.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - smonkey - 2013-12-28

OK, I spoke too soon. Set up the NUC as a download server and made it act as a NAS (NFS/SMB), moved it inside my TV cabinet.... and now I can't change channels again Sad

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - OllieB - 2013-12-28

For those people who are encountering a problem with the NUC restarting after a shut-down I have noticed the following.

At first I did not encounter this problem at all (no bios changes) but as soon as I activated samba (by renaming the .conf.sample file to .conf and starting samba) I was no longer able to shutdown the NUC. It would continuously restart. As activating samba was the only change I had made at the time, I looked in this direction for a solution.

Manually killing the smbd job via a ssh session ("ps -ef | grep smbd" to find) solved the problem for me. As soon as the job was no longer active I was able to shutdown the NUC without a reboot.

@experts, is there any samba parameter that may prevent the NUC from su=hutting down/restarting or is there a script I can us to automatically shut down the samba session when shutting down the NUC?

Does the above make sense?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - quintixbox - 2013-12-28

Hoi OllieB,

Leuke naam...
Interesting thoughts, could the problem have to do with a faulty WOL issue.
Could you try turning off Wake On LAN in the BIOS?

Regards,
Q

(2013-12-28, 20:20)OllieB Wrote: For those people who are encountering a problem with the NUC restarting after a shut-down I have noticed the following.

At first I did not encounter this problem at all (no bios changes) but as soon as I activated samba (by renaming the .conf.sample file to .conf and starting samba) I was no longer able to shutdown the NUC. It would continuously restart. As activating samba was the only change I had made at the time, I looked in this direction for a solution.

Manually killing the smbd job via a ssh session ("ps -ef | grep smbd" to find) solved the problem for me. As soon as the job was no longer active I was able to shutdown the NUC without a reboot.

@experts, is there any samba parameter that may prevent the NUC from su=hutting down/restarting or is there a script I can us to automatically shut down the samba session when shutting down the NUC?

Does the above make sense?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-12-28

Have you guys who are using the new OpenELEC fixes for RefreshRate (24 Hz) noticed that the audiosync is off?

In windows, it's slightly off.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - furii - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-28, 23:47)Selene Wrote: Have you guys who are using the new OpenELEC fixes for RefreshRate (24 Hz) noticed that the audiosync is off?

xbmc has had this issue for years now. openelec has a -175ms delay by default to correct it, i believe.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-12-29

What new OpenELEC fixes? I don't see anything in the git log, and no relevant patches in their xbmc patch directory.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - devkid - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-28, 11:01)gamble Wrote: The exact type of my case is D3NU1-IR-USB-B + SSD Cooler, here is a chart of the available Cases :
Hm, interesting. Where did you buy that thing? I cannot find it anywhere Sad

(2013-12-27, 17:03)gamble Wrote:
(2013-12-27, 11:31)arokh Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 12:07)gamble Wrote: Need to post it again, and Zag u need to stick that on the first post..

Frtisch did it, we can now ENABLE "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and it works FLAWLESS from what i can see, tested all
kinds of HD-Codecs that made probs. before but everything works like it should.

Refresh Rate is spot on so no more micro stutter every now and then, HD-Sound works and no more freezes or anything like that Big Grin

Here is the Link 2 that Nightly

PUSH ME SOFT

1000x thx 2 Fritsch again Big Grin

Is this confirmed? Link to original post? Was it fixed in kernel or XBMC? Can't test right now due to christmas Smile

Sry, didnt see ur posrt till now..

I got the link directly from Fritsch...dunno what u mean with "confirmed" and can't tell what exactly got fixed...maybe Fritsch can answer this..
But its still a bit buggy..somethimes XBMC falls into the old behavior and hd-Sound is gone + stutter...cant tell exactly how this is triggered :/

edit.

VA-API stopped compl. to work, if i enable it and start a movie it freezes and i need to restart the nuc.

What works best for me (and the last hour without problem) is :

Disable VPDAU
Disable VA-API
Enable Multithreading
Enable Autom. Adj. of. RR

Set GUI to 60fps

I did some digging, and it seems FernetMenta has done some changes lately to ActiveAE that fixes this problem. OpenELEC has included these patches in their xbmc package, that is why their nightlies now solves the issue.

Patches in question:

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commit/22cb094797779ec8ded306cdf5858be9f5306572
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commit/49eb827114301ca6f8c7c84cd02e7b9399dd7c44

When applied to vanilla XBMC source they fix the Haswell HD audio issue. One less problem with the latest NUC!

The only remaining problem (that doesn't have a fix) as far as I can see is the power button issue.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-29, 00:19)furii Wrote:
(2013-12-28, 23:47)Selene Wrote: Have you guys who are using the new OpenELEC fixes for RefreshRate (24 Hz) noticed that the audiosync is off?

xbmc has had this issue for years now. openelec has a -175ms delay by default to correct it, i believe.

Thanks for the tip. After doing a bit of research, it seems linux handles the refreshrate differently, and maybe that's why it doesn't have that issue. I guess I'm going to have to try some workarounds to see if I can't get an acceptable setting.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-29, 05:21)arokh Wrote: I did some digging, and it seems FernetMenta has done some changes lately to ActiveAE that fixes this problem. OpenELEC has included these patches in their xbmc package, that is why their nightlies now solves the issue.

Patches in question:

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commit/22cb094797779ec8ded306cdf5858be9f5306572
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commit/49eb827114301ca6f8c7c84cd02e7b9399dd7c44

When applied to vanilla XBMC source they fix the Haswell HD audio issue. One less problem with the latest NUC!

The only remaining problem (that doesn't have a fix) as far as I can see is the power button issue.

Yeah now that u saying it i remember the name FernetMenta too, yep he/she did the job Smile

Can u run VA-API enabled..? Or does it freeze for you too?

Yes I'm running with VAAPI enabled, no freezing.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - speedway - 2013-12-29

Hi,

I switched from Windows7 (Frodo 2.3) to OpenELEC (nightly build) and have now one problem at this moment, i.e. after installing OpenELEC on my Intel MSata I can't link any content to my movie folder. OpenELEC doesn't seem to remember the setting. So everything works (like playing movies etc), but I can't set any content to my folders.

I've tried to run OpenELEC (3.2.4) from USB-stick and then it works. So it has to do something with installing it on my msata :-(

Anybody who has experienced a similar problem?

EDIT:
Well it seemed my 'advancedsettings.xml' (referring to my sql-library) was blocking the assigment of content to my movie folder.
Since I'm not able to connect to my SQL-DB any more (reason ??) I'll store my movie information on my local drive :-(.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Bryman31 - 2013-12-29

so im running XBMC with windows 7...... im having an issue with "pause"

when i pause during a movie, then unpause there is no sound at all. i have to completely restart the NUC and go back into the movie again for sound.

anyone else have this happen? any fix?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-12-29

Thinking of trying some OTA HD content since the picture quality of my new Dish Hopper is so awful. Is there a preferred usb/coax HDTV tuner that's understood to work on this NUC without issue? Preferred TV software?