Kodi Community Forum
Gotham on Debian? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Gotham on Debian? (/showthread.php?tid=177474)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Gotham on Debian? - FernetMenta - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-08, 09:09)Ned Scott Wrote: No, I get the point. The point isn't ffmpeg. The point isn't what technically works or what programming this or that. The point, my point, is to not to disrespect other people. Some other user made a build that is unrelated to rbalint's work and that got FernetMenta mad, and FernetMenta chewed rbalint out. The point is to not get pissed off because someone like rbalint wanted to work on something in the experimental Debian repo. The point is to not yell at rbalint when he's done everything we've asked of him as far as decreasing our support burden and marking his build as different.

I don't think you got the point. It does not matter where the referenced build exactly came from. It does not matter who has created the build. The point is that the output is as faulty as the package provided by debian. When do you realize that you do more harm than any good in intentionally providing faulty software.

(2014-03-08, 10:38)GBB1 Wrote: Hi guys, recently I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way of installing XBMC on the Debian distribution. However, I feel there are no official packages available from XBMC itself without reverting to 'XBMC for Debian' with the special libav library and not the XBMC default ffmpeg. Because the ffmpeg from the official XBMC is fully patched and supported by the official XBMC team, I would really really really want to use this version instead of the one from rbalint (although he did the best he could).

My question, from a noob who just wants a working fully supported XBMC from the official XBMC team, could you please point me to an official package for installation on Debian Jessie/Testing? Or a repository or something? Can I maybe add the Ubuntu one?

Thank you very much for your support.

It is not a big deal compiling XBMC yourself: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Compile_XBMC_on_Debian/Ubuntu

We are happy to assist in case of any problems.

RE: Gotham on Debian? - giaur - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-08, 00:04)FernetMenta Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=188443

well done debian. you created a piece of crap. nobody needs this.

Well, it's my thread, so what can I say... I installed from Debian Multimedia (not Debian Experimental), my version is 4.13.0~beta1-dmo1. Have no idea about version from Experimental, but indeed, version from Debian Multimedia is piece of crap. The same beta1 compiled from sources doesn't have any problems.

Also, I have no idea who maintains debian multimedia packaes and who compiled them and put to repo, but I can strongly reccomend to avoid Debian Multimedia version. If you use Debian, the best way is compiling from sources (it's not hard, really).

At the and - anybody knows why Debian packagers creates crap like this? Is this bacause of some weird Debian policy (similar as Firefox is not in Debian repos). I also found Frodo from Debian Sid more unstable than my versions compiled from sources. Really strange.

RE: Gotham on Debian? - Ned Scott - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-08, 11:16)FernetMenta Wrote: I don't think you got the point. It does not matter where the referenced build exactly came from. It does not matter who has created the build. The point is that the output is as faulty as the package provided by debian. When do you realize that you do more harm than any good in intentionally providing faulty software.

I thought you were a bit rude to him. I'm not defending anything. I'm not saying people should use these builds. I've never. ever. said that. I agree with you that people shouldn't use this build, but I'm not going to harp on the guy again and again over the few months that he's been doing this. In the meantime, it's tucked away in the experimental repo, and I don't really see that hurting our reputation since people using that repo know it's experimental. Plus it's specifically presented as an unofficial XBMC build from a different group of people. There are far bigger worries out there when it comes to our reputation.

I offer my apologies for even making a big deal out of it. I guess it just struck me in a weird way, or I read into it more than I should.

(2014-03-08, 11:36)Ned Scott Wrote: In the meantime, it's tucked away in the experimental repo, and I don't really see that hurting our reputation since people using that repo know it's experimental. Plus it's specifically presented as an unofficial XBMC build from a different group of people.
But I see no reason why packages, even for experimental repo are compiled intentionally not as should, this makes everything double experimental. Also Debian Multimedia is intended to be not experimantal, but stable the same as main official Debian repo. This is why I expected multimedia packages to be as stable as Sid packages, not as experimental packages.

(2014-03-08, 11:32)giaur Wrote: At the and - anybody knows why Debian packagers creates crap like this? Is this bacause of some weird Debian policy (similar as Firefox is not in Debian repos). I also found Frodo from Debian Sid more unstable than my versions compiled from sources. Really strange.

Yes, they have their policies and don't allow applications like XBMC to bring their own libraries even if linked statically.

@ned
Maybe you can blame me for being a bit harsh but I don't get tired to point out that I dislike what he does. Debian treats thousands of users with disrespect in providing those packages knowing they don't work properly.
Even an experienced XBMC user like giaur is irritated.The average user has no clue that Debian offers faulty software. If you can't do it properly (because of this silly policies), just don't do it at all.

I can see some conflict here. XBMC doesn't want to use standard libraries, instead it uses its own internal patched ffmpeg (but stil it's easy possible to compile without internal ffmpeg, but this option causes xbmc to not work). At the other hand, Debian policy doesn't allow to use internal ffmpeg and it forces to use external ant this will never work.

But there is another way. We don't need to care about weird debian policies. We can create our own repository, containing xbmc compiled correctly. Debian doesn't allow xbmc, so let's create another repo and place packages there, compiled as should. There are a lot of 3rd party repos for debian and we can found there packages and programs that cannot be placed in official Debian (because of restrictive debian policy or any other reason).

Also, I'm not sure if Debian Multimedia is forced to respect all Debian policies, including not allowing to use statically linked libraries - but I may be wrong.

Quote:But there is another way. We don't need to care about weird debian policies. We can create our own repository, containing xbmc compiled correctly. Debian doesn't allow xbmc, so let's create another repo and place packages there, compiled as should. There are a lot of 3rd party repos for debian and we can found there packages and programs that cannot be placed in official Debian (because of restrictive debian policy or any other reason).

Yes, like we provide a ppa for Ubuntu. Everybody following this approach gets our full support. As users we don't care whether the XBMC package comes from an official distro or 3rd party repository.

RE: Gotham on Debian? - GBB1 - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-08, 12:56)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote:But there is another way. We don't need to care about weird debian policies. We can create our own repository, containing xbmc compiled correctly. Debian doesn't allow xbmc, so let's create another repo and place packages there, compiled as should. There are a lot of 3rd party repos for debian and we can found there packages and programs that cannot be placed in official Debian (because of restrictive debian policy or any other reason).

Yes, like we provide a ppa for Ubuntu. Everybody following this approach gets our full support. As users we don't care whether the XBMC package comes from an official distro or 3rd party repository.

Fully agree! We don't care where the packages come from, however, we do care that they work properly. I'm still a bit of a noob to start compiling stuff myself. Did that once and wanted later on to update to the latest release again and all hell broke loose on my system Sad So if there would be a repo for Debian somewhere, I would really be happy to use that instead of compiling myself. Can anyone from the XBMC team make such a repo for us? That would be fully awesome!

RE: Gotham on Debian? - wsnipex - 2014-03-08

I might pick up on providing a debian repo again, in the meantime we already provide a script to compile your own debian package.
Install "dev-scripts" and the build depends, clone our git repo, then run:
Code:
tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh
This will produce a couple of .debs that you can install with dpkg -i

There is also a README in the same dir.

This is what I was looking for, I tried checkinstall to eaisly build deb but it fails. Anyway, debian repo is good idea.

(2014-03-08, 13:47)wsnipex Wrote: I might pick up on providing a debian repo again, in the meantime we already provide a script to compile your own debian package.
Code:

Thanks for the help wsnipex, but I didn't succeed in the mission.
  1. git fetch git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
  2. apt-get install devscripts
  3. root@Debian:/home/viper/xbmc/tools/Linux/packaging# sh mk-debian-package.sh
    mk-debian-package.sh: 26: mk-debian-package.sh: [[: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: 35: mk-debian-package.sh: function: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: this script builds a Xbmc debian package from a git repository.
    The build is controlled by ENV variables, which van be overridden as appropriate:
    BUILDER is either debuild(default) or pdebuild(needs a proper pbuilder setup)
    mk-debian-package.sh: 39: mk-debian-package.sh: checkEnv: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: 40: mk-debian-package.sh: Syntax error: "}" unexpected

Hmm... thinking about going back to Ubuntu just for the reasy repo's of XBMC Sad

You don't really need packages, you can compile with your custom prefix and do make install.

Yes giaur, I know this can be done. But I insist on using packages as compiled stuff is hard to update and maintain for a noob like me. Thanks anyway. In the meantime I'm downloading Trusty Tar (Ubuntu 14.04) to install on a specific XBMC partition with the unstable repo from Team XBMC just to avoid this mess in Debian..

RE: Gotham on Debian? - wsnipex - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-08, 15:11)GBB1 Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 13:47)wsnipex Wrote: I might pick up on providing a debian repo again, in the meantime we already provide a script to compile your own debian package.
Code:

Thanks for the help wsnipex, but I didn't succeed in the mission.
  1. git fetch git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
  2. apt-get install devscripts
  3. root@Debian:/home/viper/xbmc/tools/Linux/packaging# sh mk-debian-package.sh
    mk-debian-package.sh: 26: mk-debian-package.sh: [[: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: 35: mk-debian-package.sh: function: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: this script builds a Xbmc debian package from a git repository.
    The build is controlled by ENV variables, which van be overridden as appropriate:
    BUILDER is either debuild(default) or pdebuild(needs a proper pbuilder setup)
    mk-debian-package.sh: 39: mk-debian-package.sh: checkEnv: not found
    mk-debian-package.sh: 40: mk-debian-package.sh: Syntax error: "}" unexpected

Hmm... thinking about going back to Ubuntu just for the reasy repo's of XBMC Sad

your sh probably it not bash.
either run it like ./mk-debian-package.sh or "bash mk-debian-package.sh"