Kodi Community Forum
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=178871)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-02-11

Thanks Tinwarble. So, what's the difference between XBMC nightly vs. SPMC? Which is advisable to install at this stage?

Re: sideloading, I have a bunch of APK's (games) on a USB drive I'd want to install. I was wondering if it's possible to install via USB or if it has to be via the OUYA's web browser?

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - Netix - 2014-02-12

I'm using the SPMC build on my Ouya and Aeon Nox run perfectly fine !

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - nooryani84 - 2014-02-12

Aesthetically the Ouya is also quite nice and the size seems just right.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-11, 21:36)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks Tinwarble. So, what's the difference between XBMC nightly vs. SPMC? Which is advisable to install at this stage?

Re: sideloading, I have a bunch of APK's (games) on a USB drive I'd want to install. I was wondering if it's possible to install via USB or if it has to be via the OUYA's web browser?

SPMC does muilt-channel PCM & AC3/DTS pass-through (with some work a rounds), Nightlies have better video playback (less buffering issues for streams). If you don't care about the audio and just want 2 channel you should use the latest nightly build.

As far as side loading from a USB, yes you can do that but you'll need to install FilePWN from the Ouya store. Just remember not all games are going to be compatible, playable on the Ouya.

(2014-02-12, 00:07)Netix Wrote: I'm using the SPMC build on my Ouya and Aeon Nox run perfectly fine !

Yes, but as I said, not so much on the nightlies.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - nooryani84 - 2014-02-12

Sorry to be a bit off topic guys... don't own an Ouya myself but just saw this and wanted to share http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?2715-WIP-mini-NES-case&p=70737&viewfull=1#post70737

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 01:30)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-02-11, 21:36)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks Tinwarble. So, what's the difference between XBMC nightly vs. SPMC? Which is advisable to install at this stage?

SPMC does muilt-channel PCM & AC3/DTS pass-through (with some work a rounds), Nightlies have better video playback (less buffering issues for streams). If you don't care about the audio and just want 2 channel you should use the latest nightly build.

As far as side loading from a USB, yes you can do that but you'll need to install FilePWN from the Ouya store. Just remember not all games are going to be compatible, playable on the Ouya.
Thanks, very helpful.

My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - sarlan19 - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 03:03)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 01:30)Tinwarble Wrote:

Thanks, very helpful.
Will the nightly build mix down dts or dd 5.1 mkv from a usb drive plug into the ouya ?

And what are the working around for passtrough you are refering to (the turn off avr trick?)

Thanks this thread is very useful to get the best of my ouya. I was a kickstarter backer last year and I'm starting to think I will enjoy that device. Thanks to guys like you Smile

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - bnazza - 2014-02-12

I installed the Jan 31 nightly apk from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/ using the browser to navigate and download.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - dennizz - 2014-02-12

Do you lose your settings and add-ons when you update to another build? Also do the (Frodo) addons work with the Gotham builds?

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 03:24)sarlan19 Wrote: Will the nightly build mix down dts or dd 5.1 mkv from a usb drive plug into the ouya ?

And what are the working around for passtrough you are refering to (the turn off avr trick?)

Thanks this thread is very useful to get the best of my ouya. I was a kickstarter backer last year and I'm starting to think I will enjoy that device. Thanks to guys like you Smile

Yes, it will downmix AC3/DTS, actually all builds will except for the official XBMC for Ouya build. Just with the nightlies you can't pass-through audio and they don't output multi-channel PCM.

Yes, but it's different for different makes of AVRs. Some say they can get pass-through to work without doing anything, others say that it takes turning their AVR off then back on or switching inputs, for me with a Denon it requires changing the decode mode on the AVR.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 11:19)dennizz Wrote: Do you lose your settings and add-ons when you update to another build? Also do the (Frodo) addons work with the Gotham builds?
No and (in general) No.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - Hedda - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 11:19)dennizz Wrote: Also do the (Frodo) addons work with the Gotham builds?
Not much have changed in the Addons API for Gotham that would break backwards compatibility, mostly the Addons API have only been extended to add additional functions for developers, but the addon author / developer (or yourself) still need to update their old addon to Gotham for it to work.

Checkout http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-note-to-add-on-developers/

Updating an addon for Gotham is is many cases just as simple as editing the addons XML file and change API version just to let XBMC know that the addon author / developer have quality tested the addon on Gotham.

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - mr3p - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 00:07)Netix Wrote: I'm using the SPMC build on my Ouya and Aeon Nox run perfectly fine !

How does SPC handle mpeg2 HD content such as OTA HDTV?

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - awp0 - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-13, 21:49)mr3p Wrote:

How does SPC handle mpeg2 HD content such as OTA HDTV?

I am interested in this answer as well. Can the Ouya handle 1080 MPEG2 content with any of the XBMC builds?

RE: My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-14

There have been threads in relation to PVR that suggest not. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165260