Kodi Community Forum
Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: MythTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=170)
+---- Thread: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin (/showthread.php?tid=180220)

Pages: 1 2

Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rushingjs - 2013-12-12

Hey all,

not sure if this is a PVR issue or a general XBMC mpeg2 issue, but trying to play a live recording or streaming live TV to my Nexus 7 crashes XBMC. I'm running mythbackend .27 on Ubuntu, Android 4.3, and a nightly build of xbmc (12/8, I believe). Here is the xbmc log, and the android crash log.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks,

Joe

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rceccleston - 2013-12-12

I experienced a similar issue and recall it was problem a hardware accelerated codec under system \ video \ playback.

Unfortunately, the tablet is not to hand to find out which one it was....

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rushingjs - 2013-12-13

Okay,

Turning off both libstagefright and media codec hardware acceleration, I can stream the standard definition channels using software decoding. However, HD channels crash, unless I enable libstagefright, then it plays, but is choppy and pixelated with black squares.

Were you able to stream high bitrate mpeg2?

Thanks for the help!

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rceccleston - 2013-12-13

Until I get my FreeSat working, I am only able to record SD mpeg2.

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - ullix - 2013-12-20

Same crash problem here. Nexus 7 is on 4.4.2, mythtv is 0.27, and xbmc is 13.0-Alpha11 Git:20131219-b361629 (compiled Dec 20) i.e. brandnew, compiled today.

As soon as I start Live-TV or any of the recordings - all is SD, no HD available, and all is MPEG2 video - then xbmc crashes. However, those MPEG2 recordings, after conversion with H.264 codec to *.mp4 or *.mkv files, do play well when started from within xbmc.

I am new to the Nexus. How and where do I find any xbmc logs? And is there something to acitvate playing of MPEG2 files?

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - ullix - 2013-12-22

I am beginning to understand - Android devices can't play any MPEG2 content at all! (I only got the Nexus 7 for 2 days now) You need a license for MPEG2, and while you can buy a key for the Raspberry for a few bucks, you can't for Android! Brilliant.

Now then, how could I ever use xbmc with a Mythtv plugin to watch live-tv, since the majority of all DVB-T and -S content is MPEG2? Doesn't that problem rule out the use of Android devices as a frontend for any TV watching/recording application?

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - nickr - 2013-12-24

Not if your broadcaster isn't stuck with mpeg2.

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rceccleston - 2013-12-25

(2013-12-22, 17:35)ullix Wrote: I am beginning to understand - Android devices can't play any MPEG2 content at all! (I only got the Nexus 7 for 2 days now) You need a license for MPEG2, and while you can buy a key for the Raspberry for a few bucks, you can't for Android! Brilliant.

Now then, how could I ever use xbmc with a Mythtv plugin to watch live-tv, since the majority of all DVB-T and -S content is MPEG2? Doesn't that problem rule out the use of Android devices as a frontend for any TV watching/recording application?

What ROM are you running on your N7?

MythTV via XBMC Gotham Apha 10 is running without any problems on my N7 with CM10.2 when both MediaCodec & Libstagefright are disabled.

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - ullix - 2013-12-28

(2013-12-25, 21:14)rceccleston Wrote: What ROM are you running on your N7?

MythTV via XBMC Gotham Apha 10 is running without any problems on my N7 with CM10.2 when both MediaCodec & Libstagefright are disabled.

I am running genuine Google, Nexus 7 is on 4.4.2, mythtv is 0.27, and xbmc is "13.0-Alpha11 Git:20131219-b361629 (compiled Dec 20)".

On further testing I found I could install MX Player, and it would play MPEG2 and any other videos I tried. Still, MPEG2 doesn't play under xbmc.

I tried to define MX Player as an external player to xbmc, using the playercorefactory.xml modifications as given here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Use_external_players_on_Android
After restarting xbmc it did know is was supposed to use MX Player, however, it always complained that it was running and had to terminate first. MX Player wasn't running; this complain came even after a full reboot of the Nexus 7.

Where can I check whether MediaCodec & Libstagefright are enabled, and howto enable/disable them?

Re: RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rceccleston - 2013-12-28

(2013-12-28, 19:56)ullix Wrote:
(2013-12-25, 21:14)rceccleston Wrote: What ROM are you running on your N7?

I am running genuine Google, Nexus 7 is on 4.4.2, mythtv is 0.27, and xbmc is "13.0-Alpha11 Git:20131219-b361629 (compiled Dec 20)".

On further testing I found I could install MX Player, and it would play MPEG2 and any other videos I tried. Still, MPEG2 doesn't play under xbmc.

I tried to define MX Player as an external player to xbmc, using the playercorefactory.xml modifications as given here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Use_external_players_on_Android
After restarting xbmc it did know is was supposed to use MX Player, however, it always complained that it was running and had to terminate first. MX Player wasn't running; this complain came even after a full reboot of the Nexus 7.

Where can I check whether MediaCodec & Libstagefright are enabled, and howto enable/disable them?

Go to ' system / settings / video / playback ' change ' setting level ' to ' expert '.

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - ullix - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-28, 21:52)rceccleston Wrote: Go to ' system / settings / video / playback ' change ' setting level ' to ' expert '.

Big Grin
Thx! Indeed, disabling both MediaCodec & Libstagefright allows smooth playback of MPEG2 video, so I can playback Live-TV and Recordings from the Mythtv plug-in!

with some experimenting I found:
- when Mediacodec is activated (alone or together with Libstagefright) xbmc crashes when playing back MPEG2 video
- when Libstagefright is activated alone, xbmc plays sound, and sometimes shows some scrambled picture, but xbmc does not crash and I can end the video within xbmc.

What am I actually doing by disabling MediaCodec & Libstagefright? Is it now replaying on software codec only? If so, quite amazing, the replay is smooth.

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - jmorton - 2013-12-29

Hello
I just purchase a TV box and didnt think it would be that hard setting it up. May I please get some help setting up the PVR to at least connect. I tried and I keep getting a lost connection message. I cont know what to do. Not quite good at network setup

Re: RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - rceccleston - 2013-12-30

(2013-12-29, 13:57)ullix Wrote:
(2013-12-28, 21:52)rceccleston Wrote: Go to ' system / settings / video / playback ' change ' setting level ' to ' expert '.

Big Grin
Thx! Indeed, disabling both MediaCodec & Libstagefright allows smooth playback of MPEG2 video, so I can playback Live-TV and Recordings from the Mythtv plug-in!

- when Mediacodec is activated (alone or together with Libstagefright) xbmc crashes when playing back MPEG2 video
- when Libstagefright is activated alone, xbmc plays sound, and sometimes shows some scrambled picture, but xbmc does not crash and I can end the video within xbmc.

What am I actually doing by disabling MediaCodec & Libstagefright? Is it now replaying on software codec only? If so, quite amazing, the replay is smooth.

The terminology of the options would suggest its playing in software within CPU rather than within the hardware of the GPU.

(2013-12-29, 19:41)jmorton Wrote: Hello
I just purchase a TV box and didnt think it would be that hard setting it up. May I please get some help setting up the PVR to at least connect. I tried and I keep getting a lost connection message. I cont know what to do. Not quite good at network setup

Actually, its quite easy to setup, but as they say.... its easy when you know how...

May I suggest creating a new thread, to keep this thread on topic, and I'll quite happy post the few steps to get you going...

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - NiggyG - 2014-01-05

(2013-12-30, 01:23)rceccleston Wrote:
(2013-12-29, 13:57)ullix Wrote:

Big Grin

The terminology of the options would suggest its playing in software within CPU rather than within the hardware of the GPU.

(2013-12-29, 19:41)jmorton Wrote: Hello

Actually, its quite easy to setup, but as they say.... its easy when you know how...

May I suggest creating a new thread, to keep this thread on topic, and I'll quite happy post the few steps to get you going...

I can't see a 'setting level' inside 'system / settings / video / playback'. Am I missing something? I'm trying to get MPEG2 to play for live TV. I've just picked up a Nexus 7 2012 and updated to 4.2.2. Am I missing something?

RE: Nexus 7 and MythTV PVR plugin - ullix - 2014-01-05

(2014-01-05, 01:53)NiggyG Wrote: I can't see a 'setting level' inside 'system / settings / video / playback'. Am I missing something? I'm trying to get MPEG2 to play for live TV. I've just picked up a Nexus 7 2012 and updated to 4.2.2. Am I missing something?

A slight misunderstanding: when you are in 'system / settings / video / playback' you will see on the bottom left, below the other menu entries, the 'setting level'. Touch on them to change from Basic to Advanced to Expert. Then you'll see the hardware acceleration options on the right.

And this is about the xbmc 13 series Gotham, not 12.x Frodo!