Kodi Community Forum
Android client - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: Android client (/showthread.php?tid=180438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Android client - jeckels - 2013-12-15

I know that the Android client is on the list, but I was wondering if you could provide any insight as to timing of its availability; and potential benefits/pitfalls?

RE: Android client - TechLife - 2013-12-15

I'm not sure we have any information above and beyond the answers given in the suggestions thread.

We have no timeline because we have no developer with the proper devel environment to do the builds.

RE: Android client - krustyreturns - 2013-12-15

I think the benefits are obvious. Pitfalls are, depending on your andoid device, bandwidth issues. So to support a more mobile environment transcoding will be needed to make it work which we currently don't support.

But things are looking up for android. We have some work going on behind the scenes to bring up an android client for xbmc - but this effort is in its infancy. We still could use android developers here. But its not like nothing is happening.

Even more exciting is we are also in collaboration with another group that has support for transcoding to android and other devices. This work is progressing nicely, but still has a ways to go. It also has a lot of moving parts since it is a collaboration, so there are other project schedules to take into account.

Its obviously too early for either of these to provide timing, but stuff is happening and personally I am very excited. So I say, stay tuned, we will provide more info as things firm up.

RE: Android client - awp0 - 2013-12-16

Well doesn't that sound interesting! Mediabrowser3 by any chance (fingers crossed, I really like their solution)?? Looking forward to it!

RE: Android client - scarecrow420 - 2013-12-17

On the android front I finally managed to get an ubuntu VM setup as a build machine and have produced an addon build for x86 and arm, but I have no idea if it works Smile

I will try to get XBMC and the addon running on one of my android phones/tablet tonight but I dont have any real media device running android, like those tv sticks or ouya things etc. If any brave soul has XBMC gotham already running on android send me a PM (and tell me if its x86 or arm) and ill send you an addon zip. Be aware it most likely will not work. Also the android builds are very complex with various special builds parameters needed to support hardware decoding on different platform specific implementations and things like that, so I dont think it's going to be a very easy one size fits all sort of thing. Hopefully that's more on the XBMC side of things though, rather than the PVR addons

RE: Android client - krustyreturns - 2013-12-17

So much for my post saying the project was in its infancy, more like its teen years. Great job man. That's amazing.

(2013-12-16, 14:39)awp0 Wrote: Well doesn't that sound interesting! Mediabrowser3 by any chance (fingers crossed, I really like their solution)?? Looking forward to it!

No comment. Good guess though Smile.

well it compiled without any modifications (who knows it it works though!), it's just the hoop jumping required to setup an environment to actually compile it (for someone who is not very linux literate). We probably could have just waited until we were in the official repo, then the XBMC jenkins build system would have done this all for us hehe.

RE: Android client - Dilligaf - 2013-12-17

I've got an Ouya running Frodo if you want me to test anything

I wasnt game to try building for frodo, took me this long to get a dev environment capable of building gotham, with the various SDK and NDK and other dependency versions. Not sure if Frodo requires different versions of these things. I willl give it a shot if i have time though

RE: Android client - Dilligaf - 2013-12-17

I can always try to load Gotham, it's not a regularly used machine, just a toy Smile

RE: Android client - mr3p - 2013-12-17

awesome, looking forward to seeing XBMC client for android Smile

RE: Android client - scarecrow420 - 2013-12-27

Well xmas duties got in the way a bit but I can happily report that I now have pvr.wmc working on my Android device (it's just a HTC One handset). No code changes were needed, it was purely a case of getting the build environment properly setup. This isnt necessary if we waited for the nightly builds to include our addon, but what I found was that eventhough we have been added officially into the xbmc_pvr_addons repo a little while ago, the main XBMC repo hasnt been updated to include pvr addons changes newer than about a month ago at this stage, so sadly we are still not included in any nightly builds... so I figured I may as well post up the addon zip I built for Android Gotham.

This is only for arm processor architecture and only for XBMC 13 (GOTHAM), if anyone wants to have a go. Remember this is a non windows device so you will need to configure ServerWMC with the required user/password credentials for non windows clients to access the Recorded TV share, or have your shares setup for completely open access (no user/pass required). This is mainly for people who dont have an existing linux/openelec/raspberry pi client running, as they may not have encountered this before as between windows boxes, normal windows sharing (homegroup etc) can often "just work".

Anyways, my succesful test was simply grabbing a XBMC android gotham nightly from here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/

Then installing the addon from this zip: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7liN7vVdQvqUDh2ZHdWOVR4VVk&usp=sharing

So far Ive only done basics like looking at EPG information and viewing live TV... Let me know how it goes for you!

RE: Android client - krustyreturns - 2013-12-27

Amazing work scarecrow! I when ahead and put it on the download page for gotham. Are you going to try frodo too?

RE: Android client - scarecrow420 - 2013-12-27

It's a bit tricky because the XBMC build auto magically embeds the xbmc_pvr_addons GitHub repo and builds them as a dependency. So since we aren't officially in frodo I'd need to make it use our repo and not opdenkamp's . That's not really a big deal, the main issue is that the whole build process seems to be different in frodo, and I had only just gotten across how it worked in gotham. Also there could be different NDK used in frodo times. I may look into it but no promises lol

RE: Android client - krustyreturns - 2013-12-27

If its that involved, its probably not worth it to get this going for frodo IMO.