Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - redi - 2014-01-28

I'm running xda Linux and I just leave the thing on all the time. well rather I "power it off" but since my harmony is just sending the power command, it just pops up the suspend/shut down menu and then switches inputs.

it's been great, however this morning I got no signal from it when i switched inputs on my receiver and had to power cycle the box.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - HeisenbergLives - 2014-01-28

the xda rc1 has a problem in which it will not connect to wifi if you have used lan. on first build it will connect to wifi fine, BUT if you connect a lan for testing or moving to another room etc then it will no longer connect to wifi.

Will try the official 2014 version to see how that works, BUT linux on these boxes is a must have as long as the wifi issues are fixed!

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - superfreak79 - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-28, 06:31)AuXBoX Wrote: If you cannot boot your device into recovery mode or the led light stays red instead of going to green then you will need a serial cable.
I use usb TTL serial cable. As long as you use the sdcardmaker and the uboot_MX.bin from geniatech it will work. It took me a long time to find this out.

Thanks AuXBox. I don't think it's the end of the world if I have to order one of those adapters. I'm currently trying another approach here.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-29, 04:29)superfreak79 Wrote: Thanks AuXBox. I don't think it's the end of the world if I have to order one of those adapters. I'm currently trying another approach here.

SF79

If you load up your SD card with AuXBox's Geniatech Linux/XBMC and follow instructions for a full install, you should at least be able to get that running. That's what I did when I thought I'd bricked mine. After Linux/XBMC is working, you can install the update too.

Folks:

Two interesting points: I plugged a USB CD/DVD player into the My Gica and it was recognized as such. It played CDs fine but would freeze before the DVD menu page would show. Also, to speed up configuring, I made a backup with the XBMC Backup addon from my Windows version of XBMC and restored it to the My Gica box. Worked just fine.

tinker

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - superfreak79 - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-29, 06:11)tinker Wrote: SF79

If you load up your SD card with AuXBox's Geniatech Linux/XBMC and follow instructions for a full install, you should at least be able to get that running. That's what I did when I thought I'd bricked mine. After Linux/XBMC is working, you can install the update too.

tinker

I wish it were true. Unfortunately, my box isn't responding to that method. The center LED is solid red - but I seem to be getting some response from shorting pins 17 & 18. Thanks.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - AuXBoX - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-29, 06:36)superfreak79 Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 06:11)tinker Wrote: SF79

tinker

I wish it were true. Unfortunately, my box isn't responding to that method. The center LED is solid red - but I seem to be getting some response from shorting pins 17 & 18. Thanks.

Whats the pins that need shorting? Are they the same for ATV1200 and ATV520?
Could we get some details on what to do

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-29, 06:36)superfreak79 Wrote: I wish it were true. Unfortunately, my box isn't responding to that method. The center LED is solid red - but I seem to be getting some response from shorting pins 17 & 18. Thanks.

SF79:

I used the boot instructions from the first link in this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150342&pid=1611911#pid1611911 to get my atv520 working. I followed the instructions in the PDF (especially executing the '.cmd' file on the root of the SD card , then replaced the files on the SD card with the Geniatech Linux/XBMC and installed following the instructions in the first post of this thread.

It installed XBMC that time. It seems that my SD card lost the ability to auto-boot. the .cmd file calls the dd.exe file and 'fixes' the SD card so it will boot when the reset button is pushed at power up.

You might have the same problem. Give this a try. Can't hurt at this point! Smile

tinker

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - superfreak79 - 2014-01-30

(2014-01-29, 06:50)AuXBoX Wrote: Whats the pins that need shorting? Are they the same for ATV1200 and ATV520?
Could we get some details on what to do

I'm not 100% confident - but it seems to be pins 17 and 18. Follow the action here.

(2014-01-29, 08:16)tinker Wrote: I followed the instructions in the PDF (especially executing the '.cmd' file on the root of the SD card , then replaced the files on the SD card with the Geniatech Linux/XBMC and installed following the instructions in the first post of this thread.

It installed XBMC that time. It seems that my SD card lost the ability to auto-boot. the .cmd file calls the dd.exe file and 'fixes' the SD card so it will boot when the reset button is pushed at power up.

You might have the same problem. Give this a try. Can't hurt at this point! Smile

tinker
I'll try anything. This one needs the serial to USB adapter, right?

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-30

(2014-01-30, 01:22)superfreak79 Wrote: I'll try anything. This one needs the serial to USB adapter, right?

SF79:

No, I did not use a serial cable at all. I just made the bootable SD, deleted all the files and replaced them with Geniatech Linux/XBMC files, booted the atv520 holding the reset button and got it to install. I then used the recovery menu to install the update file.

tinker

(2014-01-30, 01:44)tinker Wrote: No, I did not use a serial cable at all. I just made the bootable SD, deleted all the files and replaced them with Geniatech Linux/XBMC files, booted the atv520 holding the reset button and got it to install. I then used the recovery menu to install the update file.

tinker

Oh, but step 5A of How to Make a Boot Card says " Connect your device to the PC via serial cable". Stop after Step 4?

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-30

SF79:

My apologies! It's the second link from this post that I followed the instructions for!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150342&pid=1611911#pid1611911

Name the SD card 'sd_bak'. Copy all the files from the folder to SD. Plug the SD into a Windows XP machine (I used 'comparability mode' on a Windows 7 laptop). Run the 'uboot_MX.cmd' file on the root of the SD card (dd.exe must be in the same directory).

Boot the My Gica holding down the reset button. The lights on the My Gica should turn to the 'working' color in a couple of minutes.

You should now be able to boot to the recovery menu. If you can, then try to install the Android firmware (the long '.img' file that's about 300meg). Wipe factory defaults and cache before you do though.

This is where I ran into trouble. Android would still not install properly. All I got was a cyan screen.

I then deleted all the files from the SD card, replaced them with the Geniatech Linux/XBMC files and it installed perfectly.

Whatever steps actually worked, I went from a dead box that wouldn't even turn on the video signal to... back where I was a week ago, which was fully functional.

tinker

(2014-01-30, 04:45)tinker Wrote: Whatever steps actually worked, I went from a dead box that wouldn't even turn on the video signal to... back where I was a week ago, which was fully functional.

tinker

Thanks for the hope! Unfortunately, I'm still not getting to recovery. After releasing the reset button, I wait about two minutes and then Net LED blinks blue once every ten seconds or so. It does this three times and then the screen changes pink-red and LED stays red. Sad

I've ordered a USB to TTL adapter and it's being expedited from the other side of the country. AuXBoX seems pretty confident this approach will work. I hope so.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-31

Folks:

About 'remote.conf'. Does anyone know the value of the 'double window' button (lower right of the direction pad) on the atv520 remote? One use for it would be to toggle full screen mode. This would be useful during Live TV and any time you're on the Home Screen while watching video.

tinker

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - nickr - 2014-01-31

A debug log should tell you what that key is doing.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - sonicov - 2014-01-31

(2014-01-31, 05:24)tinker Wrote: Folks:

About 'remote.conf'. Does anyone know the value of the 'double window' button (lower right of the direction pad) on the atv520 remote? One use for it would be to toggle full screen mode. This would be useful during Live TV and any time you're on the Home Screen while watching video.

tinker

I know the value of what the remote sends (0x51) and posted my conf earlier to this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180446&pid=1606480#pid1606480

As the comment in the corresponding line in my remote.conf says, I would like to change it to show EPG instead of what I have set it now:

Code:
0x51 23        ;NOTIFICATION (like to change this to EPG)

Any ideas for that how to change it to show EPG? Now I just tested the change with mapping it to NOTIFICATION just to make sure the mod works, and it does.

The values of of what remote sends when pressing different buttons can be find with dmesg command after pressing the buttons, or with command:

Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
(Press Ctrl-c to stop)

You have to be log to the box with ssh to run those commands.

Get the code and change the behaviour at remote.conf. The remote.conf can be stored also in /root/.xmbc/remote.conf and it works from there too.