Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-13

(2014-01-13, 20:11)sonicov Wrote: Well, I could do that, but then I decided just to downgrade to mythtv 0.26 and finally I'm able to use the box for what I bought it to.

This is excellent box, have to admit. XBMC is very responsive with Linux, alhtough I'm quite sure the Android performance would have be enough for me, but now I will probably never know.

sonicov:

Could you give us more detail on what exactly you have done here? Are you running MythTV on the Geniatech box now? If so, how did you add it to Linux? Did you use the distro from the top of this thread or compile your own?

What I would like is to have a Linux desktop on the Geniatech box so that I can add applications like FireFox. Yes, my atv520 with Linux/XBMC runs very smooth and I think FireFox would work well with it too. I started a thread exploring that possibility here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182641&pid=1593630#pid1593630

In the third post, someone demonstrates a Linux desktop on the Raspberry Pi and the installation of IceWeasel (a lean version of FireFox). That's what I want for the Geniatech box which are much more powerful.

Can you help with this?

tinker

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - sonicov - 2014-01-14

(2014-01-13, 22:16)tinker Wrote: Could you give us more detail on what exactly you have done here? Are you running MythTV on the Geniatech box now? If so, how did you add it to Linux? Did you use the distro from the top of this thread or compile your own?

I just flashed MyGica ATV520e Android with Geniatech provided Linux to make the device work as dedicated XBMC client. I run MythTV 0.26 backend/frontend on Zotac Zbox Nano AD13 as backend for AT520e. My aim was to be able to centralize my recordings so that everything is stored on Zotac AD13, but I can watch and schedule tvshows remotely.

It's working now as I wanted. On Zotac I have xbmc 13 and now on ATV520e xbmc 12.3, but they both work well against mythtv now that I downgraded from 0.27 to 0.26.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-14

(2014-01-14, 00:25)sonicov Wrote: I just flashed MyGica ATV520e Android with Geniatech provided Linux to make the device work as dedicated XBMC client. I run MythTV 0.26 backend/frontend on Zotac Zbox Nano AD13 as backend for AT520e. My aim was to be able to centralize my recordings so that everything is stored on Zotac AD13, but I can watch and schedule tvshows remotely.

It's working now as I wanted. On Zotac I have xbmc 13 and now on ATV520e xbmc 12.3, but they both work well against mythtv no that I downgraded from 0.27 to 0.26.

sonicov:

Ah, I see. I do pretty much the same thing with my atv520e as well. I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR capture box hooked up to a satellite receiver and duel core desktop PC. I use NextPVR as a backend on the PC and enable the NextPVR add-on in Linux/XBMC.

If I could get Debian on the atv520, I could install MythTV on the Geniatech box and plug the HD-PVR right into a USB port and have everything in one machine, completely replacing my desktop PC.

tinker

Re: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - nickr - 2014-01-14

The geniatech box is unlkely to have the cpu or ram to run mysql and mythbackend.

nickr:

Good point. I beg to differ on the CPU power, I think duel-core @ 1.2ghz could handle the process, but data bases do take RAM to run well. As it stands, the atv520e can run HD videos at 720p with half the memory and half CPU power.

tinker

Worth a try. Myth runs very intensive mysql queries on rescheduling. It reschedules whenever it downloads fresh epg (typically once a day) or if someone sets/changes a recording rule. I will be interested to see your results. How much ram do those boxes have?

nickr:

The atv520 has 1gig of RAM.

Until I figure out a way to get a desktop and some form of package install I won't be able to test anything. There is a lot of Amlogic MX data out there but nobody's put those pieces together yet. Like I said, only a matter of time before folks adapt Debian or Ubuntu to the Geniatech boxes. It just too good an opportunity to waste. Smile

tinker

I would have thought arch a better bet, it runs on many arm machines.

nickr:

Would Arch Linux be better? I've looked at Arch as a possibility but since Debian was already working on the Raspberry Pi, that's what I did most of my research on.

tinker

Arch also works on pi. I am just saying that the arch guys are pretty proactive and may get there first.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - jatho - 2014-01-14

Is anyone having issues updating their library on this build?

My media is accessed via a SMB share from my NAS but whenever I try update the library it connects to the NAS, picks up the media stored on the NAS but keeps saying something along the lines of cannot connect to media source. The NAS is connected to a Gigabit switch metres away from the XBMC box through the same switch. It is definitely not a connection issue, playback works without issue and other sources stored on the same NAS can playback on this device. My other XBMC units have no issues playing or updating content on the same NAS.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - AuXBoX - 2014-01-14

Theres a test build out for Geniatech ATV520/ATV1200 by the guys over at XDA Developers
I've updated the first post with the link
Please leave feedback on this and confirm the process involved to flash

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - jatho - 2014-01-14

(2014-01-14, 12:06)AuXBoX Wrote: Theres a test build out for Geniatech ATV520/ATV1200 by the guys over at XDA Developers
I've updated the first post with the link
Please leave feedback on this and confirm the process involved to flash

Thanks Mate, I'll try that and revert with my findings.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - redi - 2014-01-15

looking forward to hearing about the xda version.

i've had a bunch of times where i'll just lose my sound on android xbmc (rebooting fixes it). also my network has just dropped for no reason (rebooting fixes it).

aside from these 2 issues it's been good but I'm thinking that Linux might be the way to go for something more stable and as fast as possible.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - tinker - 2014-01-15

Folks:

XDA claims that the wireless doesn't work for the atv520. I can tell you that wireless does work flawlessly for the Geniatech version of Linux/XBMC. I've run full length movies and hours of live TV through it without any drop-outs of freezes.

Does anyone know if there is a kernel difference between the two?

tinker