Kodi Community Forum
Revert back to home menu when idle - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Revert back to home menu when idle (/showthread.php?tid=182711)

Pages: 1 2

Revert back to home menu when idle - wannesd - 2014-01-08

XBMC under Ubuntu.

Using top, I discovered that XBMC uses a lot of cpu power in the menus.

I used dirty regions, and tweaked aeon nox accordingly.
Now in my main menu, XBMC only uses 10% CPU, but in the TV and movie menus, it's a lot more, but I want to keep those menus as they are.

This box is always on, as it's also my fileserver.

I need a way to make XBMC auto-revert to the main menu, if it idles in a menu for 5 minutes.
eg: TV episode is playing, after it is done, it goes back to the season menu. I f no further input is given, after 5 minutes, I want it to go back to the main menu.

(using a wattmeter, I measured the difference between main menu idle and TV menu idle --> 40W difference, and as this is a always-on box, you can see the reason why I want this.)

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - un1versal - 2014-01-08

Debug log (wiki) Please.

I dont think you can do what you want unless you set PowerSaving in XBMC Settings/System#Power_saving (wiki) it can probably be done, I however no idea about how.

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - negge - 2014-01-08

What happens if you use a screensaver in XBMC?

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - wannesd - 2014-01-08

I'm currently converting my data drives from ext4 to btrfs, so I can't produce a reliable log (data is inaccessible, so that would show up)
Neither can I measure the difference with screensaver on/off, CPU is at 100% right now due to the converting.

I always use screen dim instead of screensaver, which saves on energy consumed by tv. I also assume that would be less cpu intensive than a full-on screensaver?

Disable screensaver altogether in xorg.conf and in xbmc screensaver still uses up cpu cycles. in xorg.conf add

Code:
Section "Extensions"
        option        "MIT-SCREEN-SAVER"        "false"
EndSection

idk what else to tell you unless you kill xbmc when you dont need it.

Without a log cat tell you anything else anyway.

Would it be possible at all for me to write a script that does this?

If menu is idle 5 minutes --> home screen.

Will disabling the screensaver also disable the screen-dim in XBMC?

No, desable xbmc screensaver, and set the powersaving options to send display to sleep.

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - negge - 2014-01-08

@uNiversal: closing the display doesn't make XBMC use less CPU I'm afraid, it will still render in the background.

Turning of the display just makes the TV freak out and display "Hdmi not connected - NOT SUPPORTED"

So that's not very elegant Rofl

I like the screen dimming, but cpu usage stays high when in those particular menus.
I just need a way to get out of them automatically. See, I'll remember to go back to main menu before turning off the tv, but I doubt my wife will. Or my 6 year old Big Grin

You have edid/hdmi hanshake issues then, in any case I asked you for a debug log.

You can, make a "kill process on idle after X minutes in Linux - script, google it and you shall find.

(2014-01-08, 19:24)uNiversal Wrote: You have edid/hdmi hanshake issues then, in any case I asked you for a debug log.

Quote:I'm currently converting my data drives from ext4 to btrfs, so I can't produce a reliable log (data is inaccessible, so that would show up)
Neither can I measure the difference with screensaver on/off, CPU is at 100% right now due to the converting.

Can't right now, sorry. Sad

As soon as the filesystem is fully converted and drives are mounted again, I will run and post log.
Thanks for your time guys!

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - timovos - 2014-01-29

I'm having the same problem as you. Tried several potential fixes, but nothing works. It annoys me, because the CPU is taking 100% in any other menu than the main menu and the HTPC fans are going nuts and make noise. Pressing ESC makes them calm (CPU drops back to 10% in main menu).

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - booker88 - 2014-01-30

I was also getting high cpu usage (kubuntu64 12.04.3 on a G1610) so switched main skin from Aeon Nox to Arctic, and trimmed back on some addons. Xbmc idle at main menu is now 4% , and idling in menu's is 20-30%. Not a fix you are looking for , but might help while you track down possible causes for your 100% utilization.

(2014-01-29, 19:06)timovos Wrote: I'm having the same problem as you. Tried several potential fixes, but nothing works. It annoys me, because the CPU is taking 100% in any other menu than the main menu and the HTPC fans are going nuts and make noise. Pressing ESC makes them calm (CPU drops back to 10% in main menu).

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - timovos - 2014-01-31

Switching to Confluence or any other skin than Aeon (Nox AND MQ5) sadly fixed the problem for me.

RE: Revert back to home menu when idle - negge - 2014-01-31

That would suggest it's an issue with the skin. I don't think adding a hack to XBMC (option to go to the main menu when idle) is warranted for fixing a bunch of broken skins.