Kodi Community Forum
OS X Best OS version for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: OS X Best OS version for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=183916)

Best OS version for XBMC - Defik - 2014-01-20

Hi there.

1) What is the best OSX version for using XBMC?
2) Or what is the best combination - XBMC version and OSX version?

Thank you Smile

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - Gigantur - 2014-01-21

Mountain Lion with 12.2 on 2013 MAC mini with silver apple remote using hdmi to Panasonic plasma was absolutely rock solid for me .. Then I made the Mavericks upgrade error .. Stupid stupid stupid.

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - Defik - 2014-01-21

Gigantur: It looks that I did the same stupid mistake. I have image issues, sound issues and now mental issues from it :/ I will have to downgrade Sad

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - wgstarks - 2014-01-21

I agree. Mountain Lion and 12.2 has been very stable for me. I also haven't experienced any issues with 12.3 but have seen a few that others have posted.

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - User 34959 - 2014-01-21

Besides Mavericks requiring at least 12.3 with the annoying seeking bug and requiring Candelair, i haven't seen any difference between 10.6.8 and 10.8.1.

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - N.O.W.A.L.L - 2014-01-21

The best OS for any XBMC is 10.6.8 (snow Leopard).
The XBMC Team has 10.6.8 as the reference OSX. So having a later version of OSX - if you use your Mac ONLY for XBMC - will give you zero advantage.

And beside that, Snow Leopard is maybe the most stable and RAM/CPU light OSX made.
Any version of XBMC works perfectly with it.
For example, an old Mini with 10.6.8 will run FullHD fluently. With later OS it could have some lagging (ressources hogging).

If you can, try to avoid Mavericks, a lot of bugs are reported with it

Then you have the Openelec OS solution. I never tried it because it seems very tricky to setup, but it seems also very light, stable and fast

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - pixturesk - 2014-01-28

I am running Eden version 11 on an iMac Core Duo 20", 2 gigs, 2gigs ram with Mac Tiger Intel 10.4.11, this combination is very stable, just flies. I am not part of the computer generation, not much of a techie, but got XBMC Eden working perfectly, plays the various media on my computer instantaneously, easy to locate my media from XBMC. Video playback is especially quick + clear. XBMC has been a true revelation.

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - N.O.W.A.L.L - 2014-01-29

Tiger is a very light OSX, I'm sure XBMC rocks on it.
Anyway you have very few RAM, so stay on Tiger. If you want to update someday, avoid Leopard, it would run very slow on your setup, go straight to Snow Leopard as this update was a deep code-cleaning release. Forget Lion / Mountain Lion / Mavericks they would slow down your iMac

But well, if you are happy with your Tiger configuration, just keep it!

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - pixturesk - 2014-02-08

Hey Julien, please forgive me for taking so long to reply. Thank you for confirming that my Tiger/XBMC Eden configuration is quite acceptable. The Confluence skin was unusable (illegible text, lots of multi-colour noise, so I went to the "PM3.HD" skin which is crystal clear in every function. As well, I am using my white Apple Remote, which I think works better on XBMC than on FRC on my iMac. Together with the individual "key" functions, I get the optimal usability from XBMC. Some of my favourite repository addons are NaviX, GoPro (what a camera) + the complete availability of the Twit library (the ultimate source of all things computing). As well, the superb matte screen on my iMac makes everything look as good as it gets. Thanks, Ken.

RE: Best OS version for XBMC - DaveNinja - 2014-02-11

on my macmini running 10.6.8, i've had the best luck with xbmc 12.2. 12.3 would lock up on me due to Tvheadend PVR frontend i use. The Gotham beta had a couple problems that i didnt have time to log and search for so i went to 12.2.