Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=184866)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Milhouse - 2014-02-04

New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0204
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.1 #1 PREEMPT Tue Feb 4 08:58:21 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jan 28 2014 18:56:53
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8966c433ecd9358a1cdab717d2a1b89999464b10 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140204085709-r17625-g6396b1d

Based on tip of XBMC master (65ad3ae, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (6396b1d, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 7f0a8b9 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • "Show RSS Feed" default setting changed to disabled
Build Higlights:
  1. Lots of dvdplayer+omxcodec fixes have been pushed to newclock3.
    • Aspect ratio for non-square pixel videos should be fixed
    • Reduced GPU memory usage by 20M
    • Fixed issue with green flashes when playing software codec (e.g. divx3) after hardware codec
    • Fixed some crashes with ff/rew and when stopping/restarting
    • Fixed some omx_err situations
  2. OpenELEC: Updated wlan firmware

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - doveman2 - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 02:42)popcornmix Wrote: It does what you'd imagine. It will force software decode. It could make sense if you have, say an SD MPEG-4 video which is misbehaving.
The software decoder may be able to keep up. I can't imagine it to be frequently useful, but may be useful for debugging.

Understood, thanks.

I recall there was some chat a while back about letting the CPU try and decode unsupported formats. Is this enabled by default now or do I need to set something for that?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - tfouto - 2014-02-04

Hi,

I am a new pi and openelec user. I use the last nightly gotham here:

http://mirrors.xbmcnightlybuilds.com/OpenELEC_DEV_BUILDS/RPi/

This thread is of non-official releases? Is another branch or the same branch but just nightly releases?

What are the main differences?

Sorry if i miss the answer on this huge thread...

Thanks

AW: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - disrupted - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 13:38)tfouto Wrote: What are the main differences?

it's already answered in every new build info:
Based on tip of XBMC master (65ad3ae, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (6396b1d, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 7f0a8b9 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
Build Higlights:

if you want to try the latest "bleeding edge" development on the Pi this is the thread for you. but keep in mind that this is considered unstable and mainly for testing and debugging purposes!

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - ijsbeer79 - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 13:38)tfouto Wrote: Hi,

I am a new pi and openelec user. I use the last nightly gotham here:

http://mirrors.xbmcnightlybuilds.com/OpenELEC_DEV_BUILDS/RPi/

This thread is of non-official releases? Is another branch or the same branch but just nightly releases?

What are the main differences?

Sorry if i miss the answer on this huge thread...

Thanks

If you are new, use the official builds. First try to get some experience with the released stuff, before stepping into a minefield Wink
With these kind of builds you can expect a lot of time to get things working again, and to share this information so issues can be addressed.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - popcornmix - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 13:28)doveman2 Wrote: I recall there was some chat a while back about letting the CPU try and decode unsupported formats. Is this enabled by default now or do I need to set something for that?

If you play (with dvdplayer) something unsupported (like divx3 or msmpeg4 or sorenson spark), then it will automatically use the software decoder.
If it is sd resolution, it will probably play fine.

It will also do this automatically with MPEG2 or VC1 if the hardware codec is not licensed. DVDs or Blu-Rays won't be much more than a slideshow.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - xbs08 - 2014-02-04

@popcornmix

"Reduced GPU memory usage by 20M"

Can give a more detailed explanation on this improvement?

Thank you.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Mafarricos - 2014-02-04

Does the manual search subtitles work in this release?
For now I only tested in Windows with Gotham, but I can't manually search for a name, when the name of the file isn't the correct.

I don't understand if is some windows glitch or Gotham nightly glitch.

How is that functionality here?

(2014-02-04, 14:32)xbs08 Wrote: "Reduced GPU memory usage by 20M"

We create 4 textures for decoded video frames. These should be up to 1920x1080 @ 32bpp, or ~8M each.
I found they were being created with mipmaps which made then about 13M each.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - doveman2 - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 14:11)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 13:28)doveman2 Wrote: I recall there was some chat a while back about letting the CPU try and decode unsupported formats. Is this enabled by default now or do I need to set something for that?

If you play (with dvdplayer) something unsupported (like divx3 or msmpeg4 or sorenson spark), then it will automatically use the software decoder.
If it is sd resolution, it will probably play fine.

It will also do this automatically with MPEG2 or VC1 if the hardware codec is not licensed. DVDs or Blu-Rays won't be much more than a slideshow.

Thanks. Is there anyway to make it automatically use dvdplayer for these unsupported formats, or does it do that by default?

The main thing I want to try is to see if my brother can use this to play his various unsupported formats, which are all SD (or lower). At the moment, I've set up Plex Server on his PC to transcode them and he uses the Plex addon on XBMC but it would obviously be nice if I could eliminate this and just play them natively from XBMC. I just think it will be a bit cumbersome for him to have to manually select dvdplayer for certain formats and so I'm hoping that I can set it up so that it uses the appropriate player for each format automatically. So also for DVD/Blu-Ray rips/isos, once I've established whether dvdplayer or omxplayer works best, it would be nice to set it so that whichever works best automatically gets used when playing DVDs, whilst omxplayer continues to be used for other supported formats (if that continues to be better than dvdplayer for those of course).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - tfouto - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 14:00)freem@n Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 13:38)tfouto Wrote: What are the main differences?

it's already answered in every new build info:
Build Higlights:

if you want to try the latest "bleeding edge" development on the Pi this is the thread for you. but keep in mind that this is considered unstable and mainly for testing and debugging purposes!

But will this changes will eventually go to official xbmc/openelec builds or will always be a separate branch?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - xbs08 - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 14:40)popcornmix Wrote:

We create 4 textures for decoded video frames. These should be up to 1920x1080 @ 32bpp, or ~8M each.

Amazing find Smile
Thanks for making the RPi/OE so great.

(2014-02-04, 14:43)doveman2 Wrote: Thanks. Is there anyway to make it automatically use dvdplayer for these unsupported formats, or does it do that by default?

The main thing I want to try is to see if my brother can use this to play his various unsupported formats, which are all SD (or lower).

I think you have to be patient. These are experimental test builds. I wouldn't advise installing them on someone else's system.
Eventually when this is stable enough it will be pushed into master. Eventually it will make it into stable builds - but this will take months.

Automatically switching between omxplayer and dvdplayer is something xbmc has no infrastructure for (you don't know the details of the stream until the player has opened the file).
So that is not going to be simple to achieve. (It would probably mean removing omxplayer, and creating an omxplayervideo/omxplayeraudio that is contolled by dvdplayer).

It is likely that using dvdplayer as the default player will be satifactory for most users (who never play raw Blu-Ray rips).

AW: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - disrupted - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 14:57)tfouto Wrote: But will this changes will eventually go to official xbmc/openelec builds or will always be a separate branch?

Sure. this is just if want to be the first to test new features and report bugs. when a certain new feature/performance improvement has been tested and is considered stable it's often pushed to master.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - rbej - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 14:40)popcornmix Wrote:

DVDPlayer still use much more GPU memory than Omxplayer.

DVDPlayer - GPU mem=100MB. issues (only audio, subs problems) when playing 1080p mkv, reboots Rpi etc. GPU mem=128MB everything works ok.

OMXPlayer - GPU mem=100MB Works perfect with all 1080p mkv files.