Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=184866)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - lordvader - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-28, 15:28)JoeSchmuck Wrote: Be specific about what you are modifying and the location of the file and what commands you are using to do this. Don't assume that we know exactly what you are doing because we must make assumptions which could be completely incorrect if you don't fill us in. Also include the software version you are trying to manipulate.

Sure.
I'm connecting to the Pi using ssh (I'm using ubuntu, so it's a native ssh command). I'm creating/editing the .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml using the Pi's built in vi command.
I've had no problems doing this with my 3.1.3 build, but the 3.1.5 build (as well the July 23rd Gotham nightly) are causing me grief.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - JoeSchmuck - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 01:49)lordvader Wrote:
(2013-07-28, 15:28)JoeSchmuck Wrote: Be specific about what you are modifying and the location of the file and what commands you are using to do this. Don't assume that we know exactly what you are doing because we must make assumptions which could be completely incorrect if you don't fill us in. Also include the software version you are trying to manipulate.

Sure.
I'm connecting to the Pi using ssh (I'm using ubuntu, so it's a native ssh command). I'm creating/editing the .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml using the Pi's built in vi command.
I've had no problems doing this with my 3.1.3 build, but the 3.1.5 build (as well the July 23rd Gotham nightly) are causing me grief.
LOL, that is not very specific. What exactly are you changing (from /to)? You know, put up some data between code brackets. Also the Gotham builds are barely working for me, not for about a month. I'm watching this thread waiting for another new test build to check out and see how it works and eventually things will start working well again.

OK ...
I'm changing from a non-existant advancedsettings.xml file, to an advancedsettings.xml file with the following content :

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>***.***.***.***</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>****</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>***.***.***.***</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>****</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
          <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
     </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

I can't see how creating/altering a file from the /storage/.xbmc/userdata folder will leave the Pi unbootable though ...

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Milhouse - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 02:18)lordvader Wrote: I can't see how creating/altering a file from the /storage/.xbmc/userdata folder will leave the Pi unbootable though ...

When you say "unbootable", do you get a flashing green light on the Pi or do you get a single red? How far into the boot sequence is your Pi getting?

I agree that adding advancedsettings.xml shouldn't stop the Pi booting (though it could, conceivably, stop XBMC starting), unless creating/editing the file is corrupting the second partition on the SD card.

I get either single red, or solid red and green (it varies).
Even if I've disabled quite boot mode, there is no video output.

I don't beleive the second partition is being corrupted, as removing the card and doing an fsck on my PC yields no errors (though I'll double check that when I get home tonight).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - JoeSchmuck - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 02:33)lordvader Wrote: I get either single red, or solid red and green (it varies).
Even if I've disabled quite boot mode, there is no video output.

I don't beleive the second partition is being corrupted, as removing the card and doing an fsck on my PC yields no errors (though I'll double check that when I get home tonight).
I'm glad you posted that info because now someone will give you the attention you need to resolve your problem, as you can see MilhouseVH jumped right in. He's all over this thing.

I'm not sure what more I can add - I'm currently waiting for an R-Pi 512MB to come back to me that has for the second time in a matter of weeks stopped booting from it's 4GB Transcend SD card which only contains a single FAT partition, as /storage is mounted from NFS.

I'd already replaced one SD card a couple of weeks ago, now this Pi seems to have buggered up a second card (assuming it's the same problem). The first card will not even boot a different Pi, despite there being no filesystem errors and all boot files are present and correct - it's rather bizarre (and there are no flashes LEDs when booting, just a solid red power light).

Maybe it's a coincidence (although I am clutching at straws) but this has only been a problem since about 3.1.0-ish.

I totally forgot to mention that I'm also using a RPi 512MB Model B also (brand new, barely 2 weeks old).

Is it worth trying to copy the boot files (fixup.dat, start.elf, bootcode.bin) from a known working over to the known not working ?

(2013-07-29, 05:38)lordvader Wrote: Is it worth trying to copy the boot files (fixup.dat, start.elf, bootcode.bin) from a known working over to the known not working ?

It's worth a shot, yes as those files can become corrupt during a system update so it may help resurrect the SD card if that is your problem, but equally if you've got the same problem I've come across, it may have no effect at all.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - rbej - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 00:52)Jönke Wrote: -Did a update from frodo to this last gotham build and no one of my h264.mkv is working anymore, only black screen after i press play.
-Reboot still not working.

Will try do do a clean install tomorrow

(2013-07-29, 01:34)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 00:52)Jönke Wrote: -Did a update from frodo to this last gotham build and no one of my h264.mkv is working anymore, only black screen after i press play.
-Reboot still not working.

Yes, the dual audio patch causes hangs on startup when audio passthrough is enabled.
I'll investigate tomorrow.

Updated Gotham Branch

- updated Xbmc Gotham

- remove Dual Audio Patch

http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/

http://lysin.me/rbej

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Trickname - 2013-07-29

Bluetooth is working, no text in startup, ultra fast gui - spinner and ntp is working here.
No performance breaks using bluethooth controller.

Only thing i found is pictures thumbnail bug
and reboot problems.
(using putty works perfect - this is strange)

Thx for an other great build Cool

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Koloss - 2013-07-29

I have the same problem with reboot!

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - popcornmix - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 05:32)MilhouseVH Wrote: I'm not sure what more I can add - I'm currently waiting for an R-Pi 512MB to come back to me that has for the second time in a matter of weeks stopped booting from it's 4GB Transcend SD card which only contains a single FAT partition, as /storage is mounted from NFS.

I'd already replaced one SD card a couple of weeks ago, now this Pi seems to have buggered up a second card (assuming it's the same problem). The first card will not even boot a different Pi, despite there being no filesystem errors and all boot files are present and correct - it's rather bizarre (and there are no flashes LEDs when booting, just a solid red power light).

Maybe it's a coincidence (although I am clutching at straws) but this has only been a problem since about 3.1.0-ish.

Can you try copying the files from FAT partition off the sdcard, formatting it (which should be safe, windows won't touch the ext partitions), and copying back on (and checking they are identical to expected ones).

EDIT: could you backup the sdcard (with dd/winimage) first. Just in case my suggestion fixes it, it may be interesting to analyse the FAT partition.
I have a suspicion that when FAT parition gets sufficiently defragmented it may provoke a bug in the bootcode that stops it booting - but that is not proven.

OK, so I can confirm that my RPi doesn't boot with the bootcode.bin file that's bundled with the 3.1.5 release.
Using the bootcode.bin from the 3.1.3 release, I am able to boot, overclock, run of USB, and all the other awesome stuff.

I have hardware revision 000e, if that helps.

(2013-07-29, 05:45)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 05:38)lordvader Wrote: Is it worth trying to copy the boot files (fixup.dat, start.elf, bootcode.bin) from a known working over to the known not working ?

It's worth a shot, yes as those files can become corrupt during a system update so it may help resurrect the SD card if that is your problem, but equally if you've got the same problem I've come across, it may have no effect at all.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - allan87 - 2013-07-29

Myth PVR has had show-stopping bugs in every Rbej build AFTER July 3, 2013. This includes the July 29 build.

1. Skip, including big skip and commercial skip does not work. Instead of skipping, the playback hiccups for a second and resumes approximately from where you left off.

2. Less important, possibly related: When you pause or skip, the display at the top right corner reports incorrect information. Sometimes it indicates a very short program length, just slightly exceeding the point you are in the show (like 0:15/0:17). Sometimes it reverses program length and position, and reports incorrect program length (like 7:22:00/1:15).

These features work correctly in Gotham alpha 5 (tested in OS X).

These problems appear to have been introduced with the experimental FF feature. If I have to choose between skip and FF, I'd rather have skip (i.e. skip, commercial skip and big skip). Accordingly, I have been reverting to July 3 after testing new builds.