Kodi Community Forum
Bay Trail-D motherboards - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Bay Trail-D motherboards (/showthread.php?tid=184930)

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Dougie Fresh - 2014-03-28

I am using a 120W DC-DC powerboard/60W AC adapter for the power supply (mounted in the Realan E-i5 case).

Someone commented on my Amazon review saying they have no issues getting into the BIOS with an Apple USB keyboard. I tried wired and wireless and DEL actually working is few and far between.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Raudi - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-28, 17:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I am using a 120W DC-DC powerboard/60W AC adapter for the power supply (mounted in the Realan E-i5 case).

Someone commented on my Amazon review saying they have no issues getting into the BIOS with an Apple USB keyboard. I tried wired and wireless and DEL actually working is few and far between.

Then try the Escape key. For me it seems to work better sometimes. Otherwise try it with multiple attached keyboards, or check your usb bios settings.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - mpw1412 - 2014-03-29

Hello,

I received my GIGABYTE GA-J1800N-D2H today. But I have some issues with it, it doesn't start. I already posted here (in german), but as here are some guys owning one, too, I thought that I'll get better help here.

What I did:

- plugged in an 20 pin connector from my (quite old) 300 watt psu.
- Installed 1x 4 GB Ram in the first slot
- connected USB keyboard and mouse
- connected VGA (I prefer HDMI, but the manual says, that the BIOS can't be displayed over it)

When I start it, the only reaction I get, is that the fan of the PSU starts and my wattmeter shows a power consumption of 20 watts. Nothing else.

Questions:

- Does this mainboard work with USB keyboards?
- Is it possible that the old PSU can't handle this low power consumption properly?
- Is it correct that there is no beeper installed? Other mainboards tell you what's wrong with them through a ton sequence

Bye
MPW

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - -DDD- - 2014-03-29

Here you can also find some guys with the Board in German - http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/intel-bay-trail-d-desktop-mainboards-ft-silvermont-soc-985791.html

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Raudi - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-29, 20:14)mpw1412 Wrote: Hello,

I received my GIGABYTE GA-J1800N-D2H today. But I have some issues with it, it doesn't start. I already posted here (in german), but as here are some guys owning one, too, I thought that I'll get better help here.

What I did:

- plugged in an 20 pin connector from my (quite old) 300 watt psu.
- Installed 1x 4 GB Ram in the first slot
- connected USB keyboard and mouse
- connected VGA (I prefer HDMI, but the manual says, that the BIOS can't be displayed over it)

When I start it, the only reaction I get, is that the fan of the PSU starts and my wattmeter shows a power consumption of 20 watts. Nothing else.

Questions:

- Does this mainboard work with USB keyboards?
- Is it possible that the old PSU can't handle this low power consumption properly?
- Is it correct that there is no beeper installed? Other mainboards tell you what's wrong with them through a ton sequence

Bye
MPW

Make sure you have a 1,35V capable DDR3L-RAM. Normal 1,5 ones don't work. BIOS works over HDMI and USB keyboards also work, although sometimes there are issues with certain keyboards. And there is no beeper, LED or whatever on the motherboard to show you what is wrong. Try booting without any RAM and it shouldn't be any different than booting with a wrong RAM. I had the same issue and wrote about it on the hardwareluxx forum linked in the post above mine.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - topside - 2014-03-30

(2014-03-29, 21:09)Raudi Wrote: Make sure you have a 1,35V capable DDR3L-RAM. Normal 1,5 ones don't work.
Are you sure?

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - -DDD- - 2014-03-30

MPW also used an another RAM with 1,5V, which have worked (reported on ubuntuusers.de in german)
Maybe the 1st 1.5 RAM is defected or incompatible.
Is there an Compatibility RAM List from Gigabyte?

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Mark142 - 2014-03-30

(2014-03-30, 09:56)-DDD- Wrote: MPW also used an another RAM with 1,5V, which have worked (reported on ubuntuusers.de in german)

Please update if you get this working with XBMC, especially Openelec. Looking at one of these for a Openelec HTPC. I heard it only works with Windows. thanks

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - topside - 2014-03-30

--

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - -DDD- - 2014-03-30

(2014-03-30, 10:08)Mark142 Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 09:56)-DDD- Wrote: MPW also used an another RAM with 1,5V, which have worked (reported on ubuntuusers.de in german)

Please update if you get this working with XBMC, especially Openelec. Looking at one of these for a Openelec HTPC. I heard it only works with Windows. thanks

Do you also want to run LiveTV with Yadif Deinterlacing?
I may be too slow for SSE Yadif Deinterlacing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185932&pid=1626464#pid1626464

NUC: Intel Celeron N2820, 2x 2.40GHz
GB: Intel Celeron J1800, 2x 2.41GHz

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Mark142 - 2014-03-30

(2014-03-30, 15:23)-DDD- Wrote:

Do you also want to run LiveTV with Yadif Deinterlacing?
I may be too slow for SSE Yadif Deinterlacing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185932&pid=1626464#pid1626464

NUC: Intel Celeron N2820, 2x 2.40GHz
GB: Intel Celeron J1800, 2x 2.41GHz

No live TV. Just movie / TV shows playback streaming from my micro server. I've seen the nuc already and would have that as a second box in the bedroom. This is for my main htpc

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Raudi - 2014-03-30

At least when I had the problem, every official document said it is only 1,35V capable. I have a 1,5V RAM which doesn't work and then got a 1,35V one which works perfectly.
I have been running nothing but Linux on my Gigabyte j1800. At first it was difficult since the legacy BIOS mode didn't work, but since the BIOS update, that is no longer a problem. Before the update, it was really difficult to find an install medium that worked. The only working one I found is the bridgelinux installer. And even after I finally got it to boot, I had a hard time getting the installed Linux to boot with UEFI. Oddly enough, after the Update I can't boot it with UEFI anymore, but I don't really care since the legacy mode is working without issues now. So the only thing that could prevent openelec from working is the Kernel. Older ones don't work for baytrail and even some newer ones have problems sometimes. But why should I care about openelec when I can just use XBMC on my archlinux install? So far it's working perfectly. Even 3D is working on gotham Smile And I don't need any stuff like deinterlacing, so I'm fine with how everything is working right now.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - BORIStheBLADE - 2014-03-31

@dougie, Even though my build is for a server I wanted to see how it plays 1080p blu-ray rips. I played Avatar MKV I ripped with MakeMKV locally off the HD and was getting slightly choppy playback with VLC. I'm curious as to what your setup was playing 1080p. Did you do it with Windows or a Linux version of XBMC?

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Dougie Fresh - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 15:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: @dougie, Even though my build is for a server I wanted to see how it plays 1080p blu-ray rips. I played Avatar MKV I ripped with MakeMKV locally off the HD and was getting slightly choppy playback with VLC. I'm curious as to what your setup was playing 1080p. Did you do it with Windows or a Linux version of XBMC?

I just did a quick test using LAVFilter and WMP. I haven't gotten back to playing with that system it to install XBMC and see how it fares. I want to do that, I want to try WMC Live TV (I have a CableCard tuner) and I've also got on my list to try OpenELEC as well. If I hadn't had to deal with all the BIOS finagling I would have had more time in the one evening I was able to set aside.

Hopefully not getting a chance to try XBMC yet won't get me the lashing from the forum police like it did in the Celeron 847 thread. It was all my time just to get Win7 installed and run a few quick tests and I thought it was worth reviewing at that point for Amazon at least.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - Raudi - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 15:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: @dougie, Even though my build is for a server I wanted to see how it plays 1080p blu-ray rips. I played Avatar MKV I ripped with MakeMKV locally off the HD and was getting slightly choppy playback with VLC. I'm curious as to what your setup was playing 1080p. Did you do it with Windows or a Linux version of XBMC?

On Linux with XBMC I have flawless 1080p playback so far.