Kodi Community Forum
Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227) (/showthread.php?tid=185932)

Pages: 1 2 3

Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227) - Kib - 2014-02-11

Hey guys!

I am building two new systems for personal use (and testing) and thought you might be interested to see what I'd buy.
Feel free to throw reactions or advice my way.

Fanless Mini-ITX build.
(component price: € 541,71)
- More info: CPU - Motherboard - Motherboard (updated) - Case - RAM - Power - Disk
- Better pictures of the case here.

Bay Trail NUC build.
(component price: € 227,05)
- More info: Case / CPU - RAM - Disk

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - Dougie Fresh - 2014-02-11

I would skip the i3-4130T and just go with the i3-4130. Worse comes to worse you can reduce the multiplier and make it a "T" on your own. Here it's a good $15-$20 cheaper for the non-T over the T and at 35W vs 54W very little if any difference in power usage or heat.

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - nooryani84 - 2014-02-11

Isn't heatsink on the "T" a lot smaller as well? Make sure you have enough clearing, a lot of these cases won't fit anything that isn't low-profile.

Edit:

You may be right, check out this thread as it has some good pictures to give you an idea http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725004

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - Dougie Fresh - 2014-02-11

(2014-02-11, 06:06)nooryani84 Wrote: Isn't heatsink on the "T" a lot smaller as well? Make sure you have enough clearing, a lot of these cases won't fit anything that isn't low-profile.

It's a fanless case so the stock heatsink isn't used. The heatsink is part of the case itself.

(2014-02-11, 06:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-02-11, 06:06)nooryani84 Wrote: Isn't heatsink on the "T" a lot smaller as well? Make sure you have enough clearing, a lot of these cases won't fit anything that isn't low-profile.

It's a fanless case so the stock heatsink isn't used. The heatsink is part of the case itself.

Yea my bad, was a bit quick on the trigger. Looks like a great case either way Smile

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - jammyb - 2014-02-11

Buy extra thermal paste for the copper pipes. You'll get through it! It's a sticky messy job!

Trial fit it all first too. I had to use a mini pipe bender to get one leg over a picoPSU.

Lovely cases though. You're aiming for 45-50 degree heat on full load Smile

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - Kib - 2014-02-11

The fanless case is the main reason I went for the T right now.
Although the case supposedly can support a pretty high TDP, I might be putting it in a location with less than optimal airflow.
There is also a reasonable chance this machine will be always-on, so the wattage difference will pay for itself.

@nooryani84
This review has much clearer pictures of the case design.

@jammyb
I still have 2 tubes of arctic silver and 1 tube of less good stuff.
The MSI board's sister which has the exact same layout and sizing is on the list of compatible boards for the FC8 Evo and there seem to be no nasty connections in the way.
I am a bit worried how the PicoPSU will fit in, indeed.

RE: Futureproof Fanless (€ 535) & Cheap NUC (€227) - FernetMenta - 2014-02-11

I have an FC8 Evo too. Zotac H87-itx fits perfectly. Why do you need an i3? Celeron G1820T has more than enough power for XBMC (Linux).
After 7 hours of 1080i@50 with sw deinterlacing the CPU temp was at 41°C.

(2014-02-11, 11:08)Kib Wrote: The fanless case is the main reason I went for the T right now.
Although the case supposedly can support a pretty high TDP, I might be putting it in a location with less than optimal airflow.
There is also a reasonable chance this machine will be always-on, so the wattage difference will pay for itself.

@nooryani84
This review has much clearer pictures of the case design.

@jammyb
I still have 2 tubes of arctic silver and 1 tube of less good stuff.
The MSI board's sister which has the exact same layout and sizing is on the list of compatible boards for the FC8 Evo and there seem to be no nasty connections in the way.
I am a bit worried how the PicoPSU will fit in, indeed.

Judging by pictures it may seem Streacom have the best mini-ITX cases, although I've never seen one in real life. I've been using Arctic Silver as long as I can remember, that stuff is awesome!

I have the DH61AG board from Intel which uses a standard 19V DC power supply, a board like this might fit better.

PicoPSU 90 Green

@FernetMenta
The system will also do some other tasks in the background that require some more processing power - This is also the reason for the 64GB disk.

Nice to see the PicoPSU on the side there in the Zotac - I agree the placing of the connector is a bit more troublesome on the H87I so i might have to switch after all.
Can you get the Zotac to suspend / resume from IR ?

(2014-02-11, 11:36)nooryani84 Wrote: I have the DH61AG board from Intel which uses a standard 19V DC power supply, a board like this might fit better.

The picoPSU will fit better but I am pretty sure that board does not meet the Streacom FC8 EVO specs for processor location.
Not a big fan of the SODIMMs either.

Quote:Can you get the Zotac to suspend / resume from IR ?

The little board mounted at the front is my custom IR receiver. It can wake up the box from S5 by IR of by a programmable timer. It boots in less than 10 seconds so I see no need for suspend/resume.

I have decided to switch to the Zotac board, and have updated the first post to reflect that.

I thought the MSI H87I would fit fine because Streacom has the MSI Z87I (which has the exact same layout) on their list of FC8 EVO compatible boards in the Streacom build guide.

Then I saw this pictures where someone installed the Z87I in the Streacom FC8 EVO and had to bend one pipe to avoid hitting the PicoPSU, which is just stupid.

On a side note - it is always a good idea to get the same hardware as one of the core developers Wink thanks for the picture, FernetMenta.

Here are a few more that use a regular DC adapter if you want to compare them:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4755#ov
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4752#ov
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1508&CategoryID=1&MenuID=172&LanID=0

(2014-02-11, 11:56)Kib Wrote: @FernetMenta
The system will also do some other tasks in the background that require some more processing power - This is also the reason for the 64GB disk.

Nice to see the PicoPSU on the side there in the Zotac - I agree the placing of the connector is a bit more troublesome on the H87I so i might have to switch after all.
Can you get the Zotac to suspend / resume from IR ?

(2014-02-11, 11:36)nooryani84 Wrote: I have the DH61AG board from Intel which uses a standard 19V DC power supply, a board like this might fit better.

The picoPSU will fit better but I am pretty sure that board does not meet the Streacom FC8 EVO specs for processor location.
Not a big fan of the SODIMMs either.

Didn't see that post until afterwards, nevermind my post then.. they're all SODIMMS I believe.

Definitely thanks for looking up those boards!

I am pretty confident with the Zotac board now - knowing that it fits well is a big plus because the Streacom FC8 EVO is quite picky.
Many mini-itx boards have the processor in a spot where you can't reach it with the cooler block.