Kodi Community Forum
Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? (/showthread.php?tid=187049)

Pages: 1 2

Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Rodbrazil - 2014-02-21

Hi Guys, I've had an ouya for about 4 months now. I use it every single day and it works great. I hate the original controller so for that reason I bought an Mele F10 Pro which makes the ouya perfect.

Anyone know if there are other android boxes that perform better than the ouya?

I'm thinking of buying a few more boxes for the other TV's of the house and want to know.

Thanks for your help!

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Tinwarble - 2014-02-21

Well, for the price, probably not. But if your looking to buy more Ouyas you might want to wait for Ouya 2 which is supposed to be out sometime later this year. And from some of what has been said, may include a built in IR sensor.

If you don't mind spending more though, the new VidOn.me AV200 might be the best one out, if it does what it says it will do. It looks to be impressive for a Android box, and seems to be the only or at least one of the only Android boxes that claims to pass-through HD audio and playback 1080p @24Hz. But for $240, it would actually have to do what the claim and not have any bugs for me to invest the kind of money you could almost get a NUC for.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Rodbrazil - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 01:16)Tinwarble Wrote: Well, for the price, probably not. But if your looking to buy more Ouyas you might want to wait for Ouya 2 which is supposed to be out sometime later this year. And from some of what has been said, may include a built in IR sensor.

If you don't mind spending more though, the new VidOn.me AV200 might be the best one out, if it does what it says it will do. It looks to be impressive for a Android box, and seems to be the only or at least one of the only Android boxes that claims to pass-through HD audio and playback 1080p @24Hz. But for $240, it would actually have to do what the claim and not have any bugs for me to invest the kind of money you could almost get a NUC for.

I Will take a look Into that box.
Wasn't aware OUYA was coming out with model #2 so that a nice surprise.
Thanks!

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Starstream - 2014-02-21

In terms of performance right now, maybe the Samsung O Droid boards ? but those are more like a R-Pi not really a media player more a hobbyist device but you can install Android on them and run XBMC.

Amlogic M8 devices might be better but we wont know until they come out but they are now starting to show, the M8 have a quad core cpu and 6 core mali gpu and Amlogic has more stable media decoding.

There haven't really been any viable Nvidia Tegra 4 android boxes (Ouya is Tegra 3), there was the Mad Catz mojo but that was way over priced and sold as an android console not as a media player (it was also rubbish). Qualcomm killed their high end 4K STB chip they announced at CES saying their was no market for it, the low end Chinese Arm chips from Amlogic and Rockchip dominate the market.

So I'd say the Amlogic M8 are the most promising option in terms of being actually able to buy something. If Ouya mange to deliver a Tegra 4 box then that too.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - User 146225 - 2014-02-21

I think Pivos are doing something, although they are very tight lipped at the moment.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Koying - 2014-02-21

I'd keep an eye on Freescale IMX6 boxes like the Cubox-i from solid-run.
We are working on those together with wolfgar (which did the initial XBMC work) and smallint and the results are impressive (on Linux).

Contrary to the majority of SOC vendors, Freescale is very open (all the documentation is available from their site) which removes the burden of reverse engineering / guessing Wink

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - dual_HD - 2014-02-21

what about the 4core 2GHz ATV1800, http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1800.asp

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Starstream - 2014-02-21

The ATV1800 is an Amlogic M8, I'm sure we will see plenty of re-badged 1800 boxes in due time.

That's cool to hear Koying I'm going to get one of those Cubox units, though from what I've looked at it's not exactly the most user friendly of systems, the procedure for flashing XBMC linux or Android utilizing the full size of the sd card is a little more involved compared to the simplicity of the ouya or other out of the box devices. Still though seems very promising after seeing a video of it in action.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Koying - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 14:23)Starstream Wrote: That's cool to hear Koying I'm going to get one of those Cubox units, though from what I've looked at it's not exactly the most user friendly of systems, the procedure for flashing XBMC linux or Android utilizing the full size of the sd card is a little more involved compared to the simplicity of the ouya or other out of the box devices. Still though seems very promising after seeing a video of it in action.
Well, the steps are exactly the same as for an RPi.
Definitely less friendly than installing an apk on android, that's for sure...

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - kentiger - 2014-02-21

for simple , cheaper, maybe following is a choices for u
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4-2-2-Dual-Core-Android-TV-Box-XBMC-Midnight-MX-1G-RAM-8G-ROM-Dual/321932_806724175.html

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - davilla - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 12:41)riaz1982 Wrote: I think Pivos are doing something, although they are very tight lipped at the moment.

* davilla resists...

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - User 146225 - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 17:18)davilla Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 12:41)riaz1982 Wrote: I think Pivos are doing something, although they are very tight lipped at the moment.

* davilla resists...

My guess, from little info i have managed to find.

3 boxes, different specs, different entry levels.

With android gaming integration. Taking on gamestick and ouya.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Rodbrazil - 2014-02-25

Just wish ouya had a media center controller that they sold separately that I could buy. Mele F10 Pro is great but if I update the ouya then I have to keep reprograming the remote controller file into the ouya box.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - Orbi - 2014-02-26

(2014-02-25, 00:00)Rodbrazil Wrote: Just wish ouya had a media center controller that they sold separately that I could buy. Mele F10 Pro is great but if I update the ouya then I have to keep reprograming the remote controller file into the ouya box.

Create the /data/system/devices/keylayout/ folders and put the Vendor_XXXX_Product_XXXX.kl file for your Mele F10 Pro in there. This folder will not be overwritten when you update your ouya.

RE: Are there any smart tv boxes that can really challenge the OUYA? - dual_HD - 2014-02-27

Is this interesting, 4K with XBMC?
http://www.geniatech.com/news/xbmc-4k-hardware-decoding.asp