Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - squarecut1 - 2014-04-19

According to the Wiki, the 2nd generation MCE remotes work with XBMC on FTV.

Is this 2nd generation - the Rosewill one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101008

Will this work out of the box? Operations like bringing up the context menu, etc?

Thanks

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nordr - 2014-04-19

I have my Fire TV hooked up directly to my TV through HDMI, but the volume control through XBMC doesn't do anything. Even if XBMC says mute, it's still playing audio. I'd love to be able to control volume without using my TV remote. Is this working for anyone else? I've messed with the audio settings to no avail. Might be something simple I'm missing?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Hitcher - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 21:06)nordr Wrote: I have my Fire TV hooked up directly to my TV through HDMI, but the volume control through XBMC doesn't do anything. Even if XBMC says mute, it's still playing audio. I'd love to be able to control volume without using my TV remote. Is this working for anyone else? I've messed with the audio settings to no avail. Might be something simple I'm missing?
Disable 'Passthrough'.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - davilla - 2014-04-19

anyone try Beta4/MediaCodec on FTV ?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 22:54)davilla Wrote: anyone try Beta4/MediaCodec on FTV ?

I guess your referring to the latest nightly with the Mediacodec fix.

It still stutters a lot with mkv/h.264, but did seem sightly better and there's no difference with VC-1.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nordr - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 21:22)Hitcher Wrote: Disable 'Passthrough'.
That's disabled, and volume control still has no effect.

Re: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nickr - 2014-04-19

Perhaps the remote is not mapped correctly. debug log (wiki)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - eracknaphobia - 2014-04-19

I did a very brief test and it seems to be working. At least it didn't seem to have an adverse effect on any of the videos I was able to watch before with it turned off.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Scott R - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 18:26)Koying Wrote: If it is to be believed, there's been a grand total of 7 VC1 releases the last 2 years, last in october 2013 Wink
FWIW, I've been doing some more testing. XBMC Gotham nightly build (4/18, I believe). I also installed PleXBMC because I use Plex Media Server and am a fan of that. First, a big caveat: I haven't actually watched any movies from beginning to end, so I can't say that there aren't any issues like pauses/stutters that occur deep into playing a movie, or crashes, or whatever. My testing so far is just firing up a movie and watching a minute or two of it to see how smooth it appears to play.

Another note: I do not rip HD audio tracks. Just the core 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS track.

So, as I said before, h264 (MPEG-4) full-bitrate Blu-ray rips seem to play well. And I confirmed last night that Dolby Digital and DTS pass-thru works well. Actually, I just remembered a minor issue: One of the test videos I tried was Ratatouille. During the opening Pixar logo sequence (where the lamp jumps on the Pixar logo) I saw a brief flash of green (or was it purple?) in the white background. It was brief and I didn't notice anything weird like that when watching segments of the actual movie.

I've also played some MPEG-2 HDTV video (Windows Media Center .WTV files) and those played well also. Something about the video looked less than perfect/smooth. But I'm not sure if it was dropping frames or if it was due to deinterlacing of the 1080i video. Overall, though, I'd consider it to be completely watchable, and I'm pretty particular about those things. YMMV.

VC-1 Blu-ray rips did not play well. Very choppy and unwatchable. Now, here's where I might have some good news for some of you. If you're willing to run Plex, I was able able to jump into the Plex settings (via the Plex-friendly Amber skin in XBMC) and turn on "Force Transcoding" and then play the VC-1 videos well. Of course, behind the scenes, that's causing your Plex Media Server to crank through some CPU usage to do on the-fly-transcoding. This workaround is also a bit cumbersome, because you'll want to remember to turn off "Force Transcoding" afterwards, so that the rest of the time the videos just get sent as-is to XBMC on the Fire TV. Presumably, once the Plex devs work through their bugs, this behavior would be automatic when running through the Plex client.

Due to the smaller number of VC-1 titles out there, I think I could possibly live without native VC-1 hardware decoding. For me, the feature that it lacks that bugs me the most is 24Hz/fps support. But I could probably learn to live without that, too.

Overall, as things stand, I'm now leaning towards keeping this thing. I went into it thinking I'd be disappointed overall, and it's starting to win me over. The other challenge for me is that my Apple TV (3rd gen) also works well as a $100 streamer. While there's no way to get XBMC or Plex installed on it, I can use the Plex app on my iPhone and send content to the ATV3 via AirPlay which actually works more like a ChromeCast when doing so (i.e., the iPhone works as a remote and no actual video content is streaming through the iPhone - the content goes directly from Plex Media Server to the ATV3). In any case, for $100, I'm thinking I'll keep the Fire TV and see what Amazon, the Plex devs, and the XBMC devs do to improve it further.

Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Canucker - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 18:26)Koying Wrote: If it is to be believed, there's been a grand total of 7 VC1 releases the last 2 years, last in october 2013 Wink

Well now!!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - sspectre - 2014-04-19

Not yet... just for comparison's sake would Beta 4 be the same as the xbmc-20140418-3a77615-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk nightly build?

Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Canucker - 2014-04-20

Anyone get P2P setup correctly?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - smoothj - 2014-04-20

hi I'm back had to head out for a bit! Now i am trying to load xbmc in my firetv, i get connected to the Ip address but when I try to install xbmc to the box it keep saying can't find xbmc apk. What am I doing wrong here? I have a command prompt that says C:\userSilasD. Any help would be greatly appricated!

Re: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nickr - 2014-04-20

And where is your xbmc.apk stored?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - smoothj - 2014-04-20

Also when I try to open a command prompt in adb plat form it opens then it immediately closes any reason for that?

on my c drive

on my c drive

all I want to do is get xbmc loaded been at this for 2 days with no success