Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nickr - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 02:06)PK21 Wrote: I spoke with Amazon support two weeks ago and asked this question. I was told that they expected usb to be enabled for external storage in a future firmware update. Didn't say when...
Never ever buy technology on this promise. Buy on what it does now.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - z31fanatic - 2014-05-06

I think the latest FTV update has broken many things. Youtube crashes every time when you want to watch a video. Plex won't play my movies or any video now. Plus I am getting bad stuttering with HD movies on xbmc. Has anyone else gotten the new software update and having any problems?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - garvani - 2014-05-06

There was an update done a few nights ago. You won't have noticed it happened, there was no prompting, it just updated in the middle of the night. Luckily i had blocked updates at the router before this happened (hopefully). I havn't heard of any issues this update has caused until now, would like to hear if anyone else is having issues??

Re: RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Lunatixz - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 04:07)garvani Wrote: There was an update done a few nights ago. You won't have noticed it happened, there was no prompting, it just updated in the middle of the night. Luckily i had blocked updates at the router before this happened. I havn't heard of any issues this update has caused until now, would like to hear if anyone else is having issues??

How did u blick via router? what address r u denying?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 04:13)Lunatixz Wrote: How did u blick via router? what address r u denying?

Block http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net/ to disable auto-updates.

Re: RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Lunatixz - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 04:16)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 04:13)Lunatixz Wrote: How did u blick via router? what address r u denying?

Block http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net/ to disable auto-updates.

Thanks

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - z31fanatic - 2014-05-06

Nevermind fellas. I rebooted the FTV (hold simultaneously the select and play/pause buttons for 5-7 seconds) and all is well now. Gotham and Plex are working again. I haven't tried Youtube.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Trongthuan0311 - 2014-05-06

Anyone help me modify the video cache, my FTV is alway full cache

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - MrMichaelJames - 2014-05-06

Cannot get Gotham to work on the firetv. Fresh install. Loads my library, gets through my movies (locked up once). Now locks up on movies. Attempt to play a movie or tv show and locks up. SPMC still works fine. Using mysql on a NAS for my database (same with SPMC). Thumbnails and art stored across network on a NAS (same with SPMC). Config is the same as SPMC it just locks up. I'll sit back on Gotham until the hiccups are sorted out.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Knocks - 2014-05-06

So is this thread going to continue for another 150 pages, or should there be a sub-forum so that people can focus on specific topics related to the Fire TV? Performance, format support, launchers, newbie help, etc all deserve separate topics.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ixian - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 00:41)who.is.matt Wrote: Hey guys... Here's an update on the status of my launcher app.

I submitted it to the Amazon App Store yesterday. I got an email today asking me to make a minor change to conform to Amazon's trademark policy. (Turns out if you even mention Amazon or any of its devices or services you have to put in a disclaimer saying that the app wasn't developed by Amazon. I somehow managed to overlook that one sentence on that one page of the dozen or so dealing with requirements and terms for submitting apps.) That issue is hopefully now resolved. I don't foresee any other obstacles in the app getting approved. Not that I saw that one coming, either, but... There's really not much else about the app they could object to.

Also, for any fellow Ouya users out there, I added Ouya support so that it will appear in the Ouya's Play menu. You now have three options for running XBMC on the Ouya without going to the Make menu: the unofficial XBMC For Ouya (missing DTS and AC3 support), Koying's SPMC (which is excellent, but based on Frodo), or using my XBMC For Fire TV launcher with XBMC Gotham (at least as long as you don't mind using something clearly designed for a different device on the Ouya).

Great! What are you using for the icon/title of the app in the submitted version, i.e. how will it appear on the home screen?

And once you configure it will clicking the button launch XBMC straight away, or is there always a menu?

Glad to hear it's progressing. I admit I had my doubts, but I also had my hopes Smile Fingers crossed.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - who.is.matt - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 06:33)Knocks Wrote: So is this thread going to continue for another 150 pages, or should there be a sub-forum so that people can focus on specific topics related to the Fire TV? Performance, format support, launchers, newbie help, etc all deserve separate topics.

Well, no other specific device (other than the Raspberry Pi) has its own subforum, so I figure this thread will continue on for another hundred pages or so but eventually die down a bit, with people posting questions in the Android support forum. Of course, there's nothing preventing people from starting other threads about the Fire TV in this forum. Several of the discussions in this thread would probably have been better suited as separate threads. It's just that this is the one currently getting all of the views.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 06:33)Knocks Wrote: So is this thread going to continue for another 150 pages, or should there be a sub-forum so that people can focus on specific topics related to the Fire TV? Performance, format support, launchers, newbie help, etc all deserve separate topics.

One of the team posted a definite NO somewhere in this thread. I guess the logic is to avoid subs for every android device out there. But the eventual audience for firetv will surely dwarf raspberry pi and it has a subforum, so there's that.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - who.is.matt - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 06:47)ixian Wrote: Great! What are you using for the icon/title of the app in the submitted version, i.e. how will it appear on the home screen?

And once you configure it will clicking the button launch XBMC straight away, or is there always a menu?

Glad to hear it's progressing. I admit I had my doubts, but I also had my hopes Smile Fingers crossed.

I'm using a resized version of elmerohueso's splash image (with permission) that he posted to the wiki page:

However, since I added Ouya support (and it shows up in the Ouya's Play menu even if it's side-loaded), I'm probably going to change the icon to be a bit less device-specific. Whether the name changes depends on how difficult Amazon makes doing that, since I've already submitted the app to the App Store under "XBMC For Fire TV".

If you only have one version of XBMC installed, or if you have multiple versions installed and click the checkbox to specify one of those versions as the default, then the app will launch XBMC straight away. The only times you'll see anything other than XBMC are 1) on first-run, when you'll get a splash screen, and 2) if you have multiple versions of XBMC installed and haven't selected a version to launch automatically.

You can actually download the apk and try it out for yourself, though it won't appear in the Apps menu until it's installed through the App Store.

EDIT: I changed the project name to be less device-specific and avoid using any Amazon trademarks, so I updated the link.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - MrMichaelJames - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 06:33)MrMichaelJames Wrote: Cannot get Gotham to work on the firetv. Fresh install. Loads my library, gets through my movies (locked up once). Now locks up on movies. Attempt to play a movie or tv show and locks up. SPMC still works fine. Using mysql on a NAS for my database (same with SPMC). Thumbnails and art stored across network on a NAS (same with SPMC). Config is the same as SPMC it just locks up. I'll sit back on Gotham until the hiccups are sorted out.

Looks like my problem is which scraping tv shows. It goes so far then just quits with:

01:04:03 T:1568268264 DEBUG: Thread JobWorker 1568268264 terminating (autodelete)
01:04:03 T:1570339736 DEBUG: Thread JobWorker 1570339736 terminating (autodelete)
01:04:03 T:1568260376 DEBUG: Thread JobWorker 1568260376 terminating (autodelete)
01:04:04 T:1527176624 INFO: void XCURL:Big GrinllLibCurlGlobal::CheckIdle() - Closing session to http://thetvdb.com (easy=0x5b426008, multi=0x5d8b0b10)

In the log. I can force quit xbmc and relaunch it and refresh again and it works for awhile, but if I try to update the library too many times in a row it logs the above. If it locks up only the menus work, i can't play anything and have to force quit it. Right now I have everything up to date.