Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - JPDeckers - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-12, 22:28)richiebrowns Wrote: Ah, primarly it would be for xbmc, but i would want it for netflix too

A word of warning then:

The AFTV is locked down (right now) to Netflix US,CA etc only, all Americas Netflix editions work, but Netflix UK (or Netherlands etc.) won't work! You'll be able to scroll all content, but when starting something, it never starts playing and gives a java certification chain error.

For me, this kinda sucks, as I toggle often between US & NL netflix.

Workaround for me is that I side loaded the official netflix Android tablet version, but that is touch/mouse based and I can't select season episodes with the FireTV and you also can't search w/ the standard remote. A workaround is starting it on my phone, then immediatly stop it, start the sideloaded version and continue watching. But that is suboptimal, to say the least (but allows me to watch the spisodes on my FireTV, can leave the AppleTV detached). And once you are watching a TV season, it's showing up in most recently, and you can continue easily.

So depends if you want to use Netflix UK or US (w/ DNS/VPN service). Or wait, till Amazon adds the needed certificates.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - mofofofo - 2014-05-13

Can someone tell me what the best performing build is at the moment? I tried Gotham 13.0, but get dropped frames. Ouya 12.3.2 seems to perform a lot better, but I'm wondering if there are disadvantages of using a ported build.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - invaliduser - 2014-05-13

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Apothis - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-13, 05:39)mofofofo Wrote: Can someone tell me what the best performing build is at the moment? I tried Gotham 13.0, but get dropped frames. Ouya 12.3.2 seems to perform a lot better, but I'm wondering if there are disadvantages of using a ported build.

Dropped frames on what? Configured using which decoder in XBMC?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jtr2006 - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-13, 03:38)who.is.matt Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 20:39)jtr2006 Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 14:02)jtr2006 Wrote: Like the new icon and the new name. Seems like a winner to me. Hoping Amazon lets it into the app store soon!

@who.is.matt: Any update on your app? Have you heard anything from Amazon? I think there are a lot of people wondering if this is going to make it into the app store and praying that it does! Soon!

According to the Amazon Developer Console for my account, the app is currently listed as "Under Review". Since I've never submitted an app to the Amazon App Store (or any app store) before, I don't have any idea how long it usually takes for an app to be approved.

I have a feeling based on some comments I've read on other sites that they're currently being a bit picky about approving apps for the Fire TV since the device is new and they want the apps that are initially available for it to be higher-than-usual quality. But once it's been on the market a while, they'll have to loosen up in order to keep it competitive with other Android-based set-top boxes. And since there's nothing really objectionable about my app, even if it's not accepted soon I'm pretty confident it will be accepted eventually. I'm keeping an eye on it, and I'll post if the status changes.

Thanks for the update. I believe you are right: Amazon is being very picky (and slow) right now. That said, they have approved some truly worthless apps that I can't see why they even exist (I'm looking at you HMDB, OTOWN). I exchanged email with one dev who got his existing Android app through in a week, but it was already on the Google Play Store. Keeping my fingers crossed for your app. Thanks!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-12, 21:09)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 20:32)hdmkv Wrote: Another AirPlay option... AirBuddy app for FTV. Allows you to fling videos, music and pics from your iOS or Android phone to FTV. Although this can already be done via XBMC, I'm finding AirPlay spotty. I e-mailed the developer and he replied:

The Airbuddy app does not work for me. Let me know if you have better luck.
Didn't work for me either Sad. I let the developer know.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - 3rob3 - 2014-05-13

From what I understand, an MCE receiver and remote will work while in XBMC. But will it also work in the Fire OS? Can it totally replace the Fire's remote functionality wise (except for power on I suppose)?

Reason I ask is my MCE remote (Microsoft one) has programmable volume +/-, and TV power.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jnickell100 - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-13, 14:47)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 21:09)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 20:32)hdmkv Wrote: Another AirPlay option... AirBuddy app for FTV. Allows you to fling videos, music and pics from your iOS or Android phone to FTV. Although this can already be done via XBMC, I'm finding AirPlay spotty. I e-mailed the developer and he replied:

The Airbuddy app does not work for me. Let me know if you have better luck.
Didn't work for me either Sad. I let the developer know.
Curious ....what didn't work? I downloaded airbuddy and it worked for about 5 minutes. Then kicked me back to xbmc home page. This happens to me airplaying through xbmc client too.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Methanoid - 2014-05-13

I'm puzzled a little by some of the posts in this thread. I have Gotham final on my FTV and it all works fine (no sync issues now).

Is there really any issue with pulldowns, interlacing, codec support (libstagefright/mediacodec) or 60FPS hard locks or is this just individual issues being reported? I'm wondering whether I should keep the FTVs or buy dedicated HTPCs?

Any comments?

(2014-05-13, 15:13)jnickell100 Wrote: Curious ....what didn't work? I downloaded airbuddy and it worked for about 5 minutes. Then kicked me back to xbmc home page. This happens to me airplaying through xbmc client too.
Didn't work at all. AirBuddy is shown on iOS device as AirPlay client, but it won't receive any audio or video on FTV. I'm in conversation with the developer. He asked me to uninstall XBMC and re-try. Will report back.

Update: Just tried w/XBMC uninstalled. Photos work, videos don't.

(2014-05-13, 15:30)Methanoid Wrote: I'm puzzled a little by some of the posts in this thread. I have Gotham final on my FTV and it all works fine (no sync issues now).

Is there really any issue with pulldowns, interlacing, codec support (libstagefright/mediacodec) or 60FPS hard locks or is this just individual issues being reported? I'm wondering whether I should keep the FTVs or buy dedicated HTPCs?

Any comments?

If it works for you, and does what you need, why worry about things that arent actually causing you a problem. If you're having a problem, and its with some of the things that likely cant be fixed due to the android platform, then it may be best to look at another solution.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - mofofofo - 2014-05-13

(2014-05-13, 11:17)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-13, 05:39)mofofofo Wrote: Can someone tell me what the best performing build is at the moment? I tried Gotham 13.0, but get dropped frames. Ouya 12.3.2 seems to perform a lot better, but I'm wondering if there are disadvantages of using a ported build.

Dropped frames on what? Configured using which decoder in XBMC?

Dropped frames on a 1080p MKV file using Gotham 13.0 with libstagefright and mediacodec enabled. It plays smoothly on Ouya 12.3.2.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - voip-ninja - 2014-05-13

I just got a FTV to mess around with as a possible replacement to aging Boxee Boxes. I thought I was pretty familiar with the limitations of the box (no VC1 hardware decoding) but am running into some weird problems with H.264 playback with default settings under Gotham 13.0 final.

When I play my rip (straight rip, no re-encoding) of the BD Gravity, I get green macro-blocking across the screen throughout playback. This rip (and the original disc) playback fine on my other devices running XBMC.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I update to a newer nightly or is there a setting I need to change? I've noticed that some H.264 play fine, and others have various issues... I was playing my rip of Frozen and it seemed to play fine for about an hour and then it also started getting severe macro blocking on screen... yet I played back Thor - The Dark World and from what I could tell the entire thing played fine and it is a very high bitrate movie.

Here's the media info for the MKV file;

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 237708378534141768474073837793409301333 (0xB2D4F7EAB47A5CE1BA5DA09CE350FB55)
Complete name                    : /Volumes/Movies/Gravity (2013)/Gravity (2013).mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 15.4 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 30mn
Overall bit rate                 : 24.2 Mbps
Movie name                       : Gravity
Encoded date                     : UTC 2014-04-02 04:06:49
Writing application              : MakeMKV v1.8.9 darwin(x86-release)
Writing library                  : libmakemkv v1.8.9 (1.3.0/1.4.1) darwin(x86-release)

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=20
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 22.2 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.446
Stream size                      : 14.1 GiB (92%)
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                   : MA / Core
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 561 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossless / Lossy
Title                            : Surround 5.1

Text
ID                               : 3
Format                           : PGS
Codec ID                         : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs

Menu
00:00:00.000                     : en:Chapter 01
00:13:08.788                     : en:Chapter 02
00:21:33.458                     : en:Chapter 03
00:29:12.625                     : en:Chapter 04
00:39:59.814                     : en:Chapter 05
00:48:49.009                     : en:Chapter 06
00:57:00.291                     : en:Chapter 07
01:08:08.250                     : en:Chapter 08
01:15:27.105                     : en:Chapter 09
01:23:50.525                     : en:Chapter 10

(2014-05-13, 16:18)mofofofo Wrote: Dropped frames on a 1080p MKV file using Gotham 13.0 with libstagefright and mediacodec enabled. It plays smoothly on Ouya 12.3.2.

What bitrate? (and what codec inside the mkv container?) Try dropping mediacodec and see how it plays with just libstagefright.

Highest bitrate I have is running about 33mbs, and no dropped frames with either stagefright or mediacodec currently btw.

voip-ninja, this is Brajesh from AVSForum. If you drop your MKV into tsMuxer and output a M2TS file, your playback will most likely be fine. I and at least another guy (who had the same issue with OUYA) reported the issue here, but waiting XBMC devs to acknowledge. So, far I've had this issue also with 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'Django Unchained', and 'Bedtime Stories'. Container shouldn't matter, but XBMC for Android seems to be having issues with some H.264 MKV's when those same video/audio streams inside M2TS play just fine.