Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-05-26

I am looking for optimal settings to encode my videos. Given all the discussions regarding the codecs, I am a little confused. I am attaching my current audio settings under Handbrake:

I want to use the codec that will definitely play on FTV, so any advice will be welcome. I will make my preset available for others to follow. Thanks!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-05-26

In Handbrake.

Container: MKV
Preset: High Profile

Under Video
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
FPS: Same as source
and select Constant Framerate (leaving at Variable Framerate may cause issues with some vids, even though "Same as source" encodes it at the same fps as the source whether it's set to variable or constant.)
Quaility: 20 RF (for BD) 19 RF (for DVD, but you can set also for BD)
(Don't go any lower than 19 RF, you want see any improvement in playback)

And if your using HB 0.9.9 or nightlies
x264 Preset: Slower (or lower)
x264 Tune: None
H.264 Profile: High H.264 Level: 4.1

Under Audio:
Use the AC3, DTS or DTS-HD MA tracks and set to pass-through (same as source, i.e. AC3, DTS, DTS-HD MA)

Leave everything else as is.

(2014-05-26, 04:27)Tinwarble Wrote: In Handbrake.

Container: MKV
Preset: High Profile

Under Video
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
FPS: Same as source
and select Constant Framerate (leaving at Variable Framerate may cause issues with some vids, even though "Same as source" encodes it at the same fps as the source whether it's set to variable or constant.)
Quaility: 20 RF (for BD) 19 RF (for DVD, but you can set also for BD)
(Don't go any lower than 19 RF, you want see any improvement in playback)

And if your using HB 0.9.9 or nightlies
x264 Preset: Slower (or lower)
x264 Tune: None
H.264 Profile: High H.264 Level: 4.1

Under Audio:
Use the AC3, DTS or DTS-HD MA tracks and set to pass-through (same as source, i.e. AC3, DTS, DTS-HD MA)

Leave everything else as is.

Thanks! If I inderstand this correctly, we are not changing the audio (assuming that audio is not a problem on fire tv) and only encoding the video so that it plays correctly (as video is the source of all the issues)

(2014-05-26, 04:57)underworld123 Wrote: Thanks! If I inderstand this correctly, we are not changing the audio (assuming that audio is not a problem on fire tv) and only encoding the video so that it plays correctly (as video is the source of all the issues)

Correct, with those settings the audio will be untouched and will be the same as the source audio, the only thing you'll be doing is re-encoding the video.

As far as the audio goes, XBMC on the FTV will pass-through the audio (if your using a AVR) or it will downmix it, depending on your settings. Also to clarify, as to DTS-HD, XBMC will extract the core and pass-through DTS so you don't need to use the DTS-HD track and can opt to use the DTS track instead. However, I always encode (when possible) using the DTS-HD track with DTS-HD pass-through set so that my encodes are future proof.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - KBoogie - 2014-05-26

I'm holding out hoping I get an email for this trial amazon is doing!
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-fire-tv-free-trial-2014-5

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jobespierre - 2014-05-26

(2014-05-26, 02:19)exit Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 15:50)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 11:45)jobespierre Wrote: Weirdly after my upgrade the sound delay issue is still there... Was nothing needed besides the upgrade via adb?

Did you reboot your ATF after the upgrade? I have found that an occasional reboot of the ATF is a good thing. It has fixed shuttering and some other issues after up gradeing using the install -r command.

Oddly enough, after updating my other Fire TV to 13.1 beta 2, I still have the same audio delay issue. So the upgrade worked on one box, but not the other.

Do your ftv,s connect to different amps? Or divverent tv? Have you tried switching them to see if the problem might be the receiving device?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-05-26

(2014-05-26, 02:38)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 02:17)jocala Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 02:05)KBoogie Wrote: How stable is xbmc on aftv right now?
I have no experience rooting or jail breaking, would getting Mashup on the aftv be something easy?
I don't need lots of story, just streaming... And I'm already a prime member, so that helps sweeten the deal..

We aren't allowed to discuss addons that access protected content.

You are confusing protected with pirated. Also, I believe they are referring to Amazon prime which is not an "add-on" but and "app" and is what the AFTV is built around accessing anyway.

I think you're confused Smile

The OP asked about an xbmc addon of a type that we can't discuss here. I let him know. Nuff said.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Snowball - 2014-05-26

HI there,

two questions:

1. I tried to stream a movie (The Wolf of Wall Street, 23GB version) from my PC using Wifi connection. The streaming is not perfect. I have a lot of buffering problems (depending on the bitrate, I guess).
Am I doing something wrong or it is normal for a system like Amazon Fire Tv?

2. I tried to make a second attempt using LAN cable, but connecting the cable to Amazon Fire TV it doens't recognize it automatically. I have to manually put all the info. I tried to give it IP, Gateway, DNS,... but no luck. Any hint?

Thanks for help.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - toddsay - 2014-05-26

Has anyone had luck creating custom keyboard.xml mappings for the control keys on an IR remote? I'm using the Ortek remote, and the basics are working fine, but when I try to add additional control for the "extra" buttons the commands seem to be ignored. When I turn on xbmc debug I see it processing the ctrl/shift as separate keystrokes rather than as modifiers, so that seems to be the problem. But I don't understand why that would be the case. If I use an actual keyboard I'm seeing the same problem.

For example, if I hit the remote key that sends ctrl+m, or if I type an actual ctrl+m on a keyboard it is processed as follows. It seems to be doing the action for "m" rather than the one defined for ctrl+m. This is the same result I get if I just type "m" by itself.

00:12:54 T:1525594024 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x71, sym: 0x0132, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
00:12:54 T:1525594024 DEBUG: bool CApplication::OnKey(const CKey&): leftctrl (0xf0d0) pressed, action is
00:12:54 T:1525594024 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x29, sym: 0x006d, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
00:12:54 T:1525594024 DEBUG: bool CApplication::OnKey(const CKey&): m (0xf04d) pressed, action is ActivateWindow(PlayerControls)
00:12:54 T:1525594024 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10114

Any ideas what is wrong?

(2014-05-26, 08:06)jocala Wrote: I think you're confused Smile

The OP asked about an xbmc addon of a type that we can't discuss here. I let him know. Nuff said.

Yep, read the second part but missed the first somehow.Tongue

Guess that's what happens when it gets late and your eyes start to cross. Sleepy

But still stand by there's a difference between protected and pirated content, which is what I was referring too when I said you were confused.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - leedemon - 2014-05-26

Hi can someone help me, my add ons, all of them seem to load very slowly. I have like 7 installed, even super faves takes 30 secs to open

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - leedemon - 2014-05-26

Think I found the issue, it was watchdog service, everything is day again.

Any watchdog alternative programs that scan in New files automatically?

You can have XBMC scan for new files on startup. That should take care of it.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - exit - 2014-05-26

(2014-05-26, 07:51)jobespierre Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 02:19)exit Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 15:50)toddhutch Wrote: Did you reboot your ATF after the upgrade? I have found that an occasional reboot of the ATF is a good thing. It has fixed shuttering and some other issues after up gradeing using the install -r command.

Oddly enough, after updating my other Fire TV to 13.1 beta 2, I still have the same audio delay issue. So the upgrade worked on one box, but not the other.

Do your ftv,s connect to different amps? Or divverent tv? Have you tried switching them to see if the problem might be the receiving device?

Both hookups are exactly the same - the audio is through Panasonic SC-HTB770s on both units connected to my Panasonic plasma via ARC/HDMI. I will try switching them later today, though.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Colin15150 - 2014-05-26

I bought a FTV with XBMC 13.1 installed on it. Its great, - so much faster than the ATV2 in XBMC menus and plays 1080p files far more smoothly.

The only thing I don't like compared to the ATV2 is that in XBMC the video does not stop playing when you press the back key. This is annoying. I read that you can put in keyboard xml code to do this but am unsure of how to do this on the FTV.

Has anyone got any idea? Would really appreciate some help.