Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - essential - 2014-07-14

(2014-07-14, 18:55)HenryFord33 Wrote: Did the IP address change on your Fire TV?

Not that I'm aware of, I'll check when I get home. I pointed my shared using my main comp IP because trying to use the computer name never worked. Maybe the main comp IP changed, but like I said nothing was even restarted so I didn't assume that was the case but I'll check all the IPs when I get home. Thanks.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - HenryFord33 - 2014-07-14

(2014-07-14, 19:29)essential Wrote:
(2014-07-14, 18:55)HenryFord33 Wrote: Did the IP address change on your Fire TV?

Not that I'm aware of, I'll check when I get home. I pointed my shared using my main comp IP because trying to use the computer name never worked. Maybe the main comp IP changed, but like I said nothing was even restarted so I didn't assume that was the case but I'll check all the IPs when I get home. Thanks.

I found that when I reset my router sometimes the ip address on my network would change resulting in xbmc not finding my library. Once I setup everything with a static ip its worked fine.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Hdnguyen2509 - 2014-07-15

In FireTV XBMC, what is the different in Clear Data and Clear Cache?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - iLLNESS - 2014-07-15

(2014-07-14, 18:03)essential Wrote: XBMC has been working fine for over a month. Last night no movies would play, and my shares would "timeout" when trying to view directly through "videos --> files".

I force stopped XBMC, restarted the Fire and my computer, and reset my modem and router.

When I started everything back up, same issue, the Fire just can't seem to see my shares although Internet on the Fire works, I can load and play Netflix, so it's on my network. Nothing else has changed, I watched a movie Saturday night, and nothing in my home had even been restarted prior to the issues Sunday.

Any ideas? I'm running 13.0 and I might just up update to 13.1 but I wasn't having issues so I was going to hold off.

SMB can cause a fuss. can you explain more how your shares were setup?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jfrasure - 2014-07-16

Hello!

I read through about 10 - 20 pages and couldn't go through anymore. Basically i'm trying to see if there is anyone working to put xbmc as an app of FireTV like plex TV. Unfortunately there are 251 pages to go through and i just couldn't go through. If no one has done this and i could have your blessings. I would like to take a stab at getting it on their apps page. It would solve a few problems. I'm not a programmer, but as far as I can tell it looks like their set up to add to the app side is pretty straight forward.

Now if you guys have done this with amazon, and if they want some kind of funding to get it on their app for fireTV, i can kick that in no problem.

If it's just something you guys don't have time to work on and i have no quarrels with that because i love the app as it is. I would love to try my hand on getting it in there.

Let me know what you think and i'll go from there.

Thanks
Jeff
Big Grin

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nickr - 2014-07-16

If you want to install XBMC on the Firetv, the wiki page or the first post in this thread have very clear instructions.

Oh i know that, but for instance you have to root FireTV or use some other app in order to get your XBMC on to the main page. Basically i just wanted to see if i can get it set up like any other app on the Amazon FireTV. If you guys absolutely don't want me doing this. I don't have a problem with that. This would be for me a learning experience, but also i think it would be nice having XBMC as an installable app for the FireTV.

Please let me know if you guys are ok with this. I don't want to do anything with out the permission of the XBMC group.

Thanks
Jeff

Re: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nickr - 2014-07-16

I doubt very much that Amazon are going to allow xbmc in their app store. Its not a question of paying them. Its the same reason xbmc is not on the apple store, or the android store. Closed shops, closed minds, potential to add addons that access illegal material, software that decodes many patented codecs without paying etc etc.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - sparkfuzz - 2014-07-16

I need help setting up a keyboard. I googled and looked through the XBMC/FireTV wiki pages but have not been able to figure it out. I have the Logitech k400r and i want to know how to get it to work. I have plugged in the unifying USB adapter into the Fire TV and thats about it. Do I need to push certain settings to the Fire TV? I have not found clear instructions on getting a keyboard to work? Is it as simple and plug it in and I am good to go? There is no sync button on the keyboard btw. Also the keyboard has a track pad, can i get this to work? Some clear instructions on the how to get a keyboard to work would be much appreciated, THANKS!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - z31fanatic - 2014-07-16

I have the same keyboard. It's simply plug and play. The keyboard is already synced to the usb receiver it comes with. Track pad works too.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-07-16

(2014-07-15, 03:03)Hdnguyen2509 Wrote: In FireTV XBMC, what is the different in Clear Data and Clear Cache?
I've done clear cache, which doesn't seem to have any ill effects. When you open XBMC, it shows 'preparing for first run' message again. Clear data I've never done as I think it clears your movie/TV info, posters, fanart, etc.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - exit - 2014-07-16

(2014-07-16, 14:40)sparkfuzz Wrote: I need help setting up a keyboard. I googled and looked through the XBMC/FireTV wiki pages but have not been able to figure it out. I have the Logitech k400r and i want to know how to get it to work. I have plugged in the unifying USB adapter into the Fire TV and thats about it. Do I need to push certain settings to the Fire TV? I have not found clear instructions on getting a keyboard to work? Is it as simple and plug it in and I am good to go? There is no sync button on the keyboard btw. Also the keyboard has a track pad, can i get this to work? Some clear instructions on the how to get a keyboard to work would be much appreciated, THANKS!

(2014-07-16, 18:27)z31fanatic Wrote: I have the same keyboard. It's simply plug and play. The keyboard is already synced to the usb receiver it comes with. Track pad works too.

sparkfuzz, just make sure you're plugging in the smaller USB receiver, not the bigger adapter, into the USB port on the Fire TV.

(2014-07-16, 12:24)nickr Wrote: I doubt very much that Amazon are going to allow xbmc in their app store. Its not a question of paying them. Its the same reason xbmc is not on the apple store, or the android store. Closed shops, closed minds, potential to add addons that access illegal material, software that decodes many patented codecs without paying etc etc.

I agree about the add-ons there, but the codecs, since Plex is based off of xbmc wouldn't they have been removed if that were the case.

Anyways, since none of the authors of the software said i could try i'm just going to take that as a no, and leave it alone. I'll play with what i wanted and go from there. Thanks for the information as always!

Jeff

adbFire 1.01 - jocala - 2014-07-16

Features
  • Root Amazon Fire TV
  • Mount USB drives and sticks
  • Upgrade/Downgrade AFTV firmware
  • Install/Uninstall Apps
  • Backup/Restore XBMC (and forks) data
  • Push/Pull files
  • Mount AFTV filesystem R/W
  • and more ...
For Windows and OS X-64

http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html

adbFire 1.01 changelog
=======================

AFTV Firmware upgrade/downgrade

USB /dev/block/sda1 drive/stick mounting with
optional persistence

Form redesign to support new features

Screen shots are now saved to pull folder

Amazon updates toggle now in preferences

Help file update for new features

bug cleanup in win32 file deletion routines

Nice like the upgrade. When i've had more than an hour of sleep i'll definately dig into it. I used it to root my AFTV.

Thanks
Jeff