Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Koying - 2014-04-11

Could someone post screenshots of the system audio settings of the Fire, please.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - thess - 2014-04-11

I got ahold of one of the Ortek $12 faux-MCE remotes to play with. Still planning on getting a flirc, but wanted to report on some stuff if anyone plans to use this with a Harmony. I use a Harmony Smart Control system and the 'dumb' remote that comes with it, but I would think the principles would be the same for any Harmony remotes.

Out of the box, the Ortek (once you plug in the IR receiver) will control both XBMC and the FireTV, with the typical situation where a few of the key assignments are head-scratchers. It's good to go through and note down what every single key does. Of course, my goal is fewer remotes, not more. The first thing I tried was setting up an MCE Keyboard device in Harmony, which was always my go-to for the older MCE IR receivers. This doesn't work. I also thought I'd seen someone here say they used the Vizio Costar profile for this remote. That also didn't work. (Meaning, no key presses are getting sent to the receiver.) I tried a generic "Windows Media Center" device and a few other things, and eventually gave up and began the annoying process of learning the default remote's commands by hand (by pointing it at the Harmony smart hub and going through their 'learn command' deal, which is painfully slow on the Smart Control system). In the end, I had pretty much everything I could ask for mapped, including a button that takes you back out to the main Fire menu. Except for one annoying problem I cannot fix:

In the Home screen of XBMC (but not in file lists, go figure), and in the Fire menu itself, the Harmony is sending double-presses for the Up and Down keys, which is as annoying as it sounds. The stock Ortek remote doesn't do it. Troubleshooting I've done:

--Set repeat to 0. (Delay was already on 0.)
--Re-learning the Up and Down keys from the Ortek remote about 500 times, being careful not to hold the button down for more than a single quick press
--Sending the command from my Harmony IOS app rather than the dumb remote
--Being sure the CEC from my TV was disabled
--Starting over again creating a new device
--Repositioning the various transmitters and receivers

Pretty much stumped at this point. It's ONLY the Up and Down buttons. You can see the Ortek's receiver blink twice as it receives the double-press. I can (and did) remap them in XBMC keymap editor to different key presses, but the problem persists when navigating the Fire's menu.

Just something to be aware of if you plan on this exact configuration (Ortek receiver + Harmony smart control as your emitter). I'll test it again with some of my older stand-alone Harmony remotes this weekend.

EDIT: Found a post on Logitech forums indicating you can add the Ortek as a device itself, but that also didn't work for me. Will try again and make sure I'm not missing something.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - dismantler - 2014-04-11

(2014-04-11, 14:50)Koying Wrote: Could someone post screenshots of the system audio settings of the Fire, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myw3h0fcf51t7he/settings.jpg

(2014-04-11, 15:12)thess Wrote: --Re-learning the Up and Down keys from the Ortek remote about 500 times, being careful not to hold the button down for more than a single quick press

Have you tried the opposite of this (Holding the button down for an extended period)? I had a similar issue with my learning remote on my last Android box and that helped me.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-04-11

Guys, if any of you have a full BD rip of 'The Dark Knight Rises', can you please try it. I tested with XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2 and get stutters and green pixellated streaks during playback. It has an average bitrate of 24Mbps. But, 'Skyfall', which has a peak bitrate of 33.2Mbps, played nice and smoothly. Don't understand.

I also tested the Jellyfish bitrate test files and was pleasantly surprised Fire TV could handle up to 70Mbps fluidly. This is over wired SMB to my Synology NAS.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - luksol - 2014-04-11

(2014-04-11, 15:37)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, if any of you have a full BD rip of 'The Dark Knight Rises', can you please try it. I tested with XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2 and get stutters and green pixellated streaks during playback. It has an average bitrate of 24Mbps. But, 'Skyfall', which has a peak bitrate of 33.2Mbps, played nice and smoothly. Don't understand.

I also tested the Jellyfish bitrate test files and was pleasantly surprised Fire TV could handle up to 70Mbps fluidly. This is over wired SMB to my Synology NAS.

What are the video codecs for these 2 files?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - DiegoMejia - 2014-04-11

(2014-04-11, 13:45)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 13:37)crackd Wrote: 12.3.3_4 works great for me with Monsters video over ethernet with audio 2.0 analog; settings default (no dropped frames, no skipping).
Cool!! Smile

This is the Gotham build with the fix: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/arm/xbmc-20140411-88ab6ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk
Only libstagefright is (should be) fixed!

As a reminder, this one is pure xbmc, with a specific signature, so can be installed alongside spmc/ouya builds.

xbmc-20140411-88ab6ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk

Audio
DTS: doesnt do DTS passthrough, i get stereo out all speakers
Dolby Digital: doesnt do AC3 passthrough, i get stereo out all speakers

Loseless Audio:
DTS-HD MA: doesnt do DTS-HD MA passthrough, i get stereo out all speakers
TrueHD : doesnt do TrueHD passthrough, i get stereo out all speakers

Bluray Remux
AVC, 1080p, High @ 4.1, DTSHD-MA, 5.1 - Video plays fine and audio runs as stereo
AVC, 1080p, High @ 4.1, TrueHD, 7.1 - Video plays fine and audio runs as stereo
VC-1, 1080p, AP@L3, TrueHD, 6 - This file didnt display video on the XBMC for Ouya version but it displays on this version. its chppy though and when i hit "o" i see lots of frames dropping. audio runs as stereo

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-04-11

Quote:What are the video codecs for these 2 files?
Both 'The Dark Knight Rises' (23.01 Mbps average) and 'Skyfall' (22.68 Mbps average) are MPEG-4 AVC. The Jellyfish bitrate test files are also all MPEG-4 AVC.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - thess - 2014-04-11

(2014-04-11, 15:19)dismantler Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 14:50)Koying Wrote: Could someone post screenshots of the system audio settings of the Fire, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myw3h0fcf51t7he/settings.jpg

(2014-04-11, 15:12)thess Wrote: --Re-learning the Up and Down keys from the Ortek remote about 500 times, being careful not to hold the button down for more than a single quick press

Have you tried the opposite of this (Holding the button down for an extended period)? I had a similar issue with my learning remote on my last Android box and that helped me.

Thank you, I'll give this a try. I've also (facepalm) been able to add the "Ortek VRC-1100" as a device by going in through the MyHarmony website, whereas when I did the same thing last night in the iOS app I ended up with a device profile that had no available commands. I'm not at home to test it, but I'll also be curious to see if the pre-defined up/down buttons do the same thing as my 'learned' buttons do.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - dismantler - 2014-04-11

(2014-04-11, 15:37)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, if any of you have a full BD rip of 'The Dark Knight Rises', can you please try it. I tested with XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2 and get stutters and green pixellated streaks during playback. It has an average bitrate of 24Mbps. But, 'Skyfall', which has a peak bitrate of 33.2Mbps, played nice and smoothly. Don't understand.

The jellyfish test files ran good up to 70Mbps for me as well.

I think Koying's last revision of SPMC might have better playback for you on those files: http://filez.semperpax.com/lhyved3u

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - birch97 - 2014-04-11

The main question should be what the ouya specific build does differently that allows both video & audio to play fine whereas issues with both are present in all other builds.

(2014-04-11, 15:42)DiegoMejia Wrote: VC-1, 1080p, AP@L3, TrueHD, 6 - This file didnt display video on the XBMC for Ouya version but it displays on this version. its chppy though and when i hit "o" i see lots of frames dropping. audio runs as stereo
Check the specs. The FIRE do not have VC-1 h/w decoding...

For those prefering a Frodo (12.3) version for now, here is SPMC 12.4.2: http://filez.semperpax.com/5r4ln85l

[EDIT]
IIRC, this one could do passthrough. To be tested...

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jtr2006 - 2014-04-11

Just wanted to confirm that the latest build (xbmc-20140411-88ab6ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk) plays everything I could throw at it buttery smooth. Settings are MediaCodec OFF and libstagefright ON. Plays Monsters .mkv perfectly. Have seen no issues with 1080p or 720p. Very happy with this build. Thank you Koying for all your hard work in getting this sorted out!!!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - DiegoMejia - 2014-04-11

a bit off topic but Ouya signed a Deal to deliver software to a hardware company called nuvola with a device called Nuvola NP-1. That can do 4k content
http://www.nuvola4k.com/

What are the chances of getting 4k content with the amazon Fire TV?

*Update*
Those jerks have 10/100/1000 too. i hope the androidtv boxes have more of these options.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ngeorgieff - 2014-04-11

Great job @Koying!!! Thank you very much for your hard work!