Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Apothis - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 13:32)Koying Wrote: From https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/faq.html#General , it appears Amazon checks if an app is sideloaded and doesn't show it on the main screen if it is.

One of the way they could do so is to check from which application the apk was installed, which would return nothing when we sideload via adb. There is a way to spoof this, though.

Could you try to re-install SPMC/xbmc with:
Code:
adb install -r -i com.amazon.venezia <apk file>
and report, please. You might need to reboot for the launcher to pick up the change.

Still doesnt seem to show in amazon launcher, even after a reboot.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - haikuginger - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 14:48)luksol Wrote: I've got a question. There were some posts regarding 60MHz vs 50MHz refresh rate etc. I was considering ordering this box via reship and get it delivered to UK, but it got me worried. What this issue would affect? Is is for live tv only?
I admit that this is the bit I do not really understand (to clarify, I know what refresh rate is Smile just don't know what this limitation would mean for me)

The issue is that XBMC on Android doesn't have direct control of your TV's refresh rate. So, while it does look like the Fire TV supports 50Hz, XBMC can't change that on the fly.

The issue is that in the UK, there's a lot more variety of content than in the US- you might want to watch a 24fps movie, followed by a 50i TV show, followed by a 25p show, followed by a 60i show. The problem stems from the fact that 30Hz-based frequencies aren't clean multiples of 25Hz-based frequencies, so not all content is going to play smoothly all the time.

In comparison, even though the US version of XBMC on Android has the same limitations (it can't change the screen sync frequency on the fly), most content is going to be in the same set of frequencies- 24,30,60 -that can all either multiply into 60, or, in the case of 24fps, use 3:2 pulldown to get there.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 14:40)Koying Wrote: Could you retry with key id="339" for rewind and key id="343" for fast_forward, please.

Rewind and Fastforward do not work. Here's my keyboard.xml

PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>CodecInfo</menu>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <key id="339">Rewind</key>
      <key id="343">FastForward</key>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap> 

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - luksol - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 15:04)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 14:48)luksol Wrote: I've got a question. There were some posts regarding 60MHz vs 50MHz refresh rate etc. I was considering ordering this box via reship and get it delivered to UK, but it got me worried. What this issue would affect? Is is for live tv only?
I admit that this is the bit I do not really understand (to clarify, I know what refresh rate is Smile just don't know what this limitation would mean for me)

The issue is that XBMC on Android doesn't have direct control of your TV's refresh rate. So, while it does look like the Fire TV supports 50Hz, XBMC can't change that on the fly.

The issue is that in the UK, there's a lot more variety of content than in the US- you might want to watch a 24fps movie, followed by a 50i TV show, followed by a 25p show, followed by a 60i show. The problem stems from the fact that 30Hz-based frequencies aren't clean multiples of 25Hz-based frequencies, so not all content is going to play smoothly all the time.

In comparison, even though the US version of XBMC on Android has the same limitations (it can't change the screen sync frequency on the fly), most content is going to be in the same set of frequencies- 24,30,60 -that can all either multiply into 60, or, in the case of 24fps, use 3:2 pulldown to get there.

Ok, so if I wached some tv program on live tv via my tv (a lot of tvs Wink ) via tv(!) tuner with 50MHz refresh rate and then switch to amazon tv (another tv! Wink ) and watch some movie, but output is set to 60MHz, then I will have problems? Did I understood it correctly?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - haikuginger - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 15:17)luksol Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 15:04)haikuginger Wrote:

Ok, so if I wached some tv program on live tv via my tv (a lot of tvs Wink ) via tv(!) tuner with 50MHz refresh rate and then switch to amazon tv (another tv! Wink ) and watch some movie, but output is set to 60MHz, then I will have problems? Did I understood it correctly?

Only if you're watching them all from your Fire TV. If your TV can handle a 60Hz refresh rate, then you can set the Fire TV to that, and any content based on that (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz) should be fine. But, if you also have 50Hz-based content (25Hz, 50Hz), then that might not play nicely with the refresh rate setting you've already made.

XBMC running on Linux, Windows, or OS X can change the refresh rate setting on the fly to compensate for this. On the Fire TV, it's not possible to do so.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - luksol - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 15:42)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 15:17)luksol Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 15:04)haikuginger Wrote: The issue is that XBMC on Android doesn't have direct control of your TV's refresh rate. So, while it does look like the Fire TV supports 50Hz, XBMC can't change that on the fly.

Only if you're watching them all from your Fire TV. If your TV can handle a 60Hz refresh rate, then you can set the Fire TV to that, and any content based on that (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz) should be fine. But, if you also have 50Hz-based content (25Hz, 50Hz), then that might not play nicely with the refresh rate setting you've already made.

XBMC running on Linux, Windows, or OS X can change the refresh rate setting on the fly to compensate for this. On the Fire TV, it's not possible to do so.

Thank you for your explanation.
Ok, So the problem is with the content. One of the previous posts indicates that Fire TV has the ability to switch between 50MHz and 60MHz refresh rates. Could such 'switch' be implemented in XBMC for FireTV?
Also, if I have refresh rate mismatch between my content and FireTV settings, what would outcome look like?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-04-14

Where should I include the advancedsettings.xml file? I used the following code

adb push advancedsettings.xml /sdcard/android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

But the file was ignored. Here's my advanced settings file

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <
timeseekforwardbig>300</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
    <
timeseekbackwardbig>-90</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->
</
advancedsettings

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Koying - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-14, 15:54)underworld123 Wrote:
PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <
timeseekforwardbig>300</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
    <
timeseekbackwardbig>-90</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->
</
advancedsettings
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml#video
Those settings should be between <video></video>

(2014-04-14, 15:03)Apothis Wrote: Still doesnt seem to show in amazon launcher, even after a reboot.
Could you capture a logcat while installing an app from their store, please.

(2014-04-14, 15:13)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 14:40)Koying Wrote: Could you retry with key id="339" for rewind and key id="343" for fast_forward, please.
Rewind and Fastforward do not work. Here's my keyboard.xml

Please try this build: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/arm/xbmc-20140414-9c1cc08-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk

You should be able to do:
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>CodecInfo</menu>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap> 

If it doesn't, please provide an xbmc log.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - fanofanne - 2014-04-14

Koying,

I have seen some discussion on deinterlacing performance - especially as related to 1080i MPEG 2 TS. Any reason why these options are not included in the android builds? I tried to research the reasons why, but couldn't get good information.

Thanks

(2014-04-14, 16:49)fanofanne Wrote: I have seen some discussion on deinterlacing performance - especially as related to 1080i MPEG 2 TS. Any reason why these options are not included in the android builds? I tried to research the reasons why, but couldn't get good information.
As MPEG2 is not h/w accelerated, you should be able to specify deinterlacing settings in the video playback menu.
Is it not the case? If so, please provide a screenshot of the settings menu + log, please.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - n3on - 2014-04-14

(2014-04-13, 09:44)Tinwarble Wrote: @Koying,

I may have spoken a little too soon. With xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk I'm still seeing some jittery playback, it's not constant but seems to happen mostly with left to right motion (panning). Not sure what is causing it, but if you need any log files just let me know.. Right now I'd have say that video playback is about 95% perfect.

Thank you for all you hard work.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is the media you're watching Xvid/Divx? I've uploaded a sample for people to try.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/518292/sample-avi.html

(2014-04-13, 16:51)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 12:21)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 22:41)n3on Wrote: Per Koying's instructions I've uploaded a sample file http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/518292/sample-avi.html

During xvid/divx playback there is an annoying stutter or jerkiness. It's very subtle but incredibly annoying if you try and actually watch a video with it. Especially noticeable during the panning sequence of the sample. It plays smoothly with an OUYA using MediaCodec and turning off stagefright.

Could others verify they are experiencing the same problem? Thank you!
Could some of you try @n3on sample and confirm/infirm a jitter, please.

The site is not letting me download the sample right now; however, I am also seeing a jitter on divx files. As n3on states, it's easiest to see during panning; many times it's not noticeable.

Otherwise, in my experience so far the latest Gotham builds are running quite well with libstagefright on and MediaCodec off.

I just tested the link and it is working. As most of my media is in Xvid/Divx this jitter is really stopping me from being able to enjoy spmc.

It's not just panning, but that's when it is extremely noticeable, any fast paced action scenes and even just fastforward/rewind are hiccupy compared to an x264. I tried watching a movie and you can almost forget that it's there on the occasion and then it will become painfully obvious in some scenes.

I'm upgrading from an old Xbox with xbmc4xbox which plays divx/xvid content flawlessly. Having a hard time convincing the girlfriend as to why the FireTV is so awesome when it doesn't play our content as well haha. She's gonna have to deal with it for now.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ktrdsl23 - 2014-04-14

I posted this earlier in the thread but never saw a response so I thought I would try again.

What are people seeing when the proper shutdown procedure isn't done (shutdown within XBMC).

As my wife and kids will use this they often just turn a TV off or will switch over to DVR no matter how many times I try and tell them to quit out of it. I try to have automated remote macros which forces a proper shutdown at the end but there are always times where something slips by. I see two main things that could happen with the Fire TV outside of a proper shutdown and am wondering what happens when these things happen:

1) XBMC is left running and you just switch away to another source or turn off your TV
2) You hit the Amazon home button so that you leave XBMC but you didn't shut it down

If either of these things are done I wondered if Fire TV would either switch to the screensaver or go to sleep mode and what occurs with the power usage compared to if it was exited properly and Fire TV goes to sleep mode.

Thanks.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - cstark27 - 2014-04-14

Have you set the shutdown function in XBMC to quit after a certain time limit of inactivity? Also, if you go to like Netflix, and XBMC is still running, the box will go to 'sleep' (no white led). I cannot answer the power usage question.