Kodi Community Forum
Solved Errno 10061No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Solved Errno 10061No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (/showthread.php?tid=202044)

Errno 10061No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - elusien - 2014-08-13

I've been having a few problems recently and so upgraded to Gotham v13.2 RC1. I still have problems getting the error message:

urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I set debugging, reproduced the error then tried to upload the log using the XBMC debug log uploader, but this too had the same error.

So I did a complete reinstall of XBMC, enabled the debug log uploader addon, set debug mode and called the downloader addon. I did this to simplify the problem. It failed again with the same error.

I have uploaded the log to:

I have tried reinstalling earlier versions of XBMC (13.1, 13.0) but to no avail, I still get the error. I read somewhere it might be a firewall configuration problem, but I switched off my firewall and still got the error.

I've spent ages on this. Does anyone have any idea how I can sort it out?

FIXED No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - elusien - 2014-08-15

After many hours of debugging I have finally fixed the problem. I haven't solved it (I don't know why it happened) but at least I now have a fully functioning XBMC Gotham 12.2 rc1. I'll document what I tried and how I finally fixed it below, so others may have an idea of what to try if it happens to them.

XBMC was not at fault, it was my Windows 8 system that had got screwed sometime during the last 2 weeks. The XBMC code to open a URL was perfectly correct. I checked it several times, anyway it is identical to the code in XBMC on my other (Windows 7) system.

I'll document what I tried first, having Googled the problem and looked at how others seemed to have fixed it.

1) Make sure you are not using a proxy to access the Internet, or if you are make sure it is set up correctly. I checked 'SYSTEM>SETTINGS>SYSTEM>Internet access' to make sure I had not ticked 'Use an HTTP proxy server to access the internet' - I hadn't.

2) Make sure you are not running XBMC as a user with 'administrator privileges' - I wasn't.

3) Reset WINSOCK and the Windows IP stack, either by using the Microsoft 'fixit' tool given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
or by using the commands:
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

I did that, but it didn't solve the problem.

4) Make sure your firewall is not blocking the port. This is the one I thought might be the cause. A week earlier I'd downloaded an application and it had asked me to unblock a port, so I had set up a new rule for the firewall. So I thought that maybe this is the root cause. So I deleted the new rule - no luck. I uninstalled the new software - no luck. I switched the firewall off completely - no luck.

5) Before I'd installed the new app I had manually created a Windows restore point, so in the end I decided to wind back my system to this restore point. Even after that I still had the problem.

################# FINAL ATTEMPT, WHICH WORKED ################

I went back to the system restore utility and saw that a restore point had been created 2 weeks ago, and I knew for a fact that XBMC was working then, so I did another Windows restore using that restore point.

XBMC IS NOW WOKING LIKE A DREAM!!!!

RE: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - scott967 - 2014-08-16

Good that it's working, but you may know last Tues was Windows update day so among other things by reverting to a restore point if you got that update it was backed out and you will have to get it again. If you have autoupdate set I would turn that off and instead install the patches one at a time (only the prechecked ones, not any unchecked or optional unless you are sure you need them) and see if one of those is what caused your problem.

scott s.

RE: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - elusien - 2014-08-17

@scott967 thanks for the info. I didn't actually do what you suggested as Windows update (I have it switched on all the time) had already run. However, I did note that Windows update re-applied all updates except one, KB2978668, which it 'cancelled'. It sounds like Microsoft found a problem and 'pulled' the fix.

I had a look at the description of the update and it is to do with local RPC calls (LRPC) - basically inter-process communication, which may be the cause of my probable TCP problem.

Any way, everything is working fine now, so thanks again.

Neil

RE: Errno 10061No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - tmmoore800 - 2015-08-12

I have the same issue for all addons. I tried restore but still no luck. Has anyone found any other reason for the <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it> issue. Firewalls and virus protection have all be turned off but same results.