Kodi Community Forum
ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV (/showthread.php?tid=205513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - RyanM - 2014-10-01

Hi there just wondering if someone could give me the breakdown of the pro and cons of either of the ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV? I simply want to use Netflix and XBMC streams and have 1080p wherever possible? Any insight or tips that would help me decide, I am also in Canada. Thanks!

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - Ned Scott - 2014-10-01

FireTV gives a remote-control friendly Netflix and Amazon Prime video client. If you are okay with using a mouse for Netflix and/or Amazon Prime then get the Chromebox.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - z31fanatic - 2014-10-01

If you don't need HD audio then the FTV is more convenient for your needs.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - ngoal - 2014-10-02

Why not get a asus vivoPC? they start at $250 and come good to go with windows 8.1

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - Ned Scott - 2014-10-02

(2014-10-02, 02:42)ngoal Wrote: Why not get a asus vivoPC? they start at $250 and come good to go with windows 8.1

Because you can get the ASUS Chromebox for less than $200.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - FishOil - 2014-10-04

(2014-10-02, 02:42)ngoal Wrote: Why not get a asus vivoPC? they start at $250 and come good to go with windows 8.1

Because something runs windows is your reason TO get it?Confused
Its more of a reason NOT to get it.

In addition

A Chromebox is $100 less and superior in every way regarding XBMC.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - goldenrod - 2014-10-05

If you're more interested in streaming from services, go with the Fire TV. If you're more interested in XBMC performance, go with the Chromebox.

You can do Netflix on the Chromebox, but the max resolution is DVD quality, and there is no surround sound audio.

You can do XBMC on the Fire TV, but there are certain types of files it doesn't handle well, you can't get HD surround sound and there are some hoops to jump through to get it working properly.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - MrCrispy - 2014-10-05

The Asus Chromebox has been as low as $130 which makes the price difference much smaller (+$10-15 for remote of course) for a more capable device. I think we will see some great deals in a few weeks (around Black Friday).

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - answersplz - 2014-10-09

is the new fire tv even rootable yet?

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - hdmkv - 2014-10-09

Yes, but not the latest firmware versions. But, you don't need root to install/use XBMC.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - answersplz - 2014-10-09

(2014-10-09, 22:00)hdmkv Wrote: Yes, but not the latest firmware versions. But, you don't need root to install/use XBMC.

how? sorry to piggyback but im looking to get a fire tv and use xbmc, i thought you had to root it

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - Topken - 2014-10-10

Sideloading works perfectly fine without root only need root for applications that require it. Root is NOT required on Android to sideload apps. Its a common misconception with Android tho.

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - answersplz - 2014-10-10

(2014-10-10, 00:42)Topken Wrote: Sideloading works perfectly fine without root only need root for applications that require it. Root is NOT required on Android to sideload apps. Its a common misconception with Android tho.

so fire tv runs android right? is there a sideloading guide somewhere for fire tv? thanks

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - touser - 2014-10-10

(2014-10-10, 01:14)answersplz Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 00:42)Topken Wrote: Sideloading works perfectly fine without root only need root for applications that require it. Root is NOT required on Android to sideload apps. Its a common misconception with Android tho.

so fire tv runs android right? is there a sideloading guide somewhere for fire tv? thanks

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

RE: ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV - hdmkv - 2014-10-10

First, enable these settings on your FTV. Second, grab the ARM version of XBMC/Kodi. Third, use this tool or this one (either will do) to sideload. Can't get any easier Smile.