Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- rodalpho - 2008-10-14

The-Boxhead Wrote:he he.. there has been some questions about this but not that many ? Smile
It's asked daily, if not hourly.

- xgrep - 2008-10-15

porter Wrote:for the OP:

xbmc is developed for the x86 cpu architecture. the ps3 is has a PPC architecture based Cell cpu.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32320&highlight=ps3

for more info

AFAIK that doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, from source you should be able to compile for pretty much any architecture. The killer is that linux on the ps3 does not support OpenGL2, which xbmc requires.

Anyways, yes this question has been asked way to much. To the point where you want the answer displayed on the newthread script Smile

About PS3 - myway - 2008-10-16

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=233820&postcount=135
said:"The killer is that linux on the ps3 does not support OpenGL2, which xbmc requires."

Is it correct? That's mean PS3 no chance to run XBMC-Linux(PPC)?Blush

- Dark_Wizard - 2008-11-02

xgrep Wrote:The killer is that linux on the ps3 does not support OpenGL2, which xbmc requires.

The PS3 supports OpenGL ES 2.0 on Ubuntu, does XBMC support this? Just a thought...

- topfs2 - 2008-11-02

Dark_Wizard Wrote:The PS3 supports OpenGL ES 2.0 on Ubuntu, does XBMC support this? Just a thought...

From what I know they support something almost like OpenGL ES 2.0 but its not under ubuntu, its on their regular os.

Ubuntus mesa drivers might support enough OpenGL for XBMC to run but it wont be hardware accelerated so youd be lucky to get more then one fps out of it.

But if you have a link I would love to be proven wrong Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

- bigifa - 2008-12-27

rodalpho Wrote:1) have to hack it (illegal) and limits the audience
2) A-OK if there's some way to access the GPU directly in PS3 linux
3) have to hack it, illegal, limits the audience, and too slow for HD anyway

i know this is an old post but how the hell do you think XBMC got on the name sake machine in the first place i see you have nay said in other threads about it if it is such a waste of time y do you bother posting in the threads that are clearly of no interest to you but odviusly of great interest to many others if you dont own a ppc box then dont worry about what otheres would like to do to theres.

- Arranmc182 - 2009-01-19

xgrep Wrote:AFAIK that doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, from source you should be able to compile for pretty much any architecture. The killer is that linux on the ps3 does not support OpenGL2, which xbmc requires.

Anyways, yes this question has been asked way to much. To the point where you want the answer displayed on the newthread script Smile

Well its not that the PS3 cannot support OpenGL2 in PPC Linux its the fact that Nvidia will not give out drivers or any specs on the graphics card so untill there are drivers for the card we will never see 100% full hardware acceleration of graphics on PPC Linux on PS3 Sad

- dizzey - 2009-01-19

Arranmc182 Wrote:Well its not that the PS3 cannot support OpenGL2 in PPC Linux its the fact that Nvidia will not give out drivers or any specs on the graphics card so untill there are drivers for the card we will never see 100% full hardware acceleration of graphics on PPC Linux on PS3 Sad

That would be one issue but it would not matter if nvidia made a driver. because on one spe
there is a tiny vm that dont let you acess the hardware so even if there was a driver it would not be able to speak to the gpu.

there have been som hacks to trick the vm but sony is pretty fast to fix it.

- spiff - 2009-01-19

if somebody really wants this.

what i would have done is to forget about the opengl renderer. i'd rather focus on the software renderer. the main reason that is so utterly slow is probably alpha blends + rotations + scalings. all three of these could be accelerated quite nicely using the cell's (libspe2 or whatever it's called these days should have most of what is needed). this lib could also be used to csc and scaling for the video playback.

720p should be doable. but i don't think 1080p is realistic, in particular not without a gpu. but in any case the ps3 cpu is simply too weak to decode the streams. which means cell optimized decoders, which pretty much is nonexistant (heck, there are hardly threaded decoders), in the free world atleast...

- Arranmc182 - 2009-01-20

dizzey Wrote:That would be one issue but it would not matter if nvidia made a driver. because on one spe
there is a tiny vm that dont let you acess the hardware so even if there was a driver it would not be able to speak to the gpu.

there have been som hacks to trick the vm but sony is pretty fast to fix it.
That is some what true but Nvidia have stated that drivers could be made to make Linux 100% hardware compatable with the GPU but its somthing that Sony dosnt want to happen but then Sony says its because of Nvidia. I just think Sony and Nvidia should work on a driver for Linux as not having a driver is the only true letdown to Linux on PS3

- Arkitech - 2009-01-20

What if you guys contacted sony, try to work something out.. XBMC is by far the best media center I've ever seen/used and sony are always pushing the fact that their system is designed to be an all-in-one machine. Maybe they would hire you guys

- spiff - 2009-01-20

can't speak for the others, but i have absolutely NO interest in being hired by the company that e.g. put a rootkit on audio cd's.

- dizzey - 2009-01-20

spiff Wrote:can't speak for the others, but i have absolutely NO interest in being hired by the company that e.g. put a rootkit on audio cd's.

Sony can be judged by much but sony is such a large cooperation that the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing. I can say that the division of sony that makes hardware for playing cd's and mp3's took a big hit by this and where not very happy.

Every department almost become their own cooperation and make its own decisions it's not like the department that makes the ps3 has any say about sony the music label

- crashnburn - 2009-01-21

Sony was no.1 with Walkmans, Discmans etc. and then MDs.

Had they embraced mp3s early on they could've pre-empted and outdone the iPod.

- User 48442 - 2009-05-11

spiff Wrote:if somebody really wants this.

what i would have done is to forget about the opengl renderer. i'd rather focus on the software renderer. the main reason that is so utterly slow is probably alpha blends + rotations + scalings. all three of these could be accelerated quite nicely using the cell's (libspe2 or whatever it's called these days should have most of what is needed). this lib could also be used to csc and scaling for the video playback.

720p should be doable. but i don't think 1080p is realistic, in particular not without a gpu. but in any case the ps3 cpu is simply too weak to decode the streams. which means cell optimized decoders, which pretty much is nonexistant (heck, there are hardly threaded decoders), in the free world atleast...

Actually the PS3 CPU should be able to handle 1080p with ease.. been done before.. Linux has access to 6SPE's + the main PPE core.. and apparently even two h.264 streams at once..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anNWaCtGZ_w&fmt=18&checkedhd=t
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_qnPNuul4&fmt=18&checkedhd=t

GPU won't be accessible much, but the CPU should be sufficient..