Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- madshaun1984 - 2010-05-15

GregoryRasputin Wrote:No offense to the great XBMC team, who i have a lot of respect for, but i think you should search else where for help madshaun1984, as clearly the team don't have the capabilities or understanding of the PS3 platform.

Its just a damn shame that the ones who brought XBMC to the Xbox, PC and Mac are afraid to tackle the PS3 Sad

Unfortunatly I think im going to have to agree, I'll get a project website set up tomorrow and wiill update with a link, for anyone interested.

- jmarshall - 2010-05-15

No interest != no capabilities, but nice troll attempt.

That we don't care about closed, proprietary platforms does not mean that we wouldn't welcome patches to handle those platforms in some way.

After all, getting the same codebase running across multiple platforms has benefits for all platforms as AlTheKiller points out in the post you quote - more eyes on the code, fewer assumptions due to a particular architecture, optimisations for one architecture often reap benefits for others, etc. etc.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- GregoryRasputin - 2010-05-15

jmarshall Wrote:No interest != no capabilities, but nice troll attempt.

I take offense to being called a troll, from guys who said it wasn't possible to run XBMC on the PS3, that were shown it was possible, its obvious that you guys didn't have the capabilities to get it running when you said it wasn't possible.

That said, i wasn't intending or trying to cause any offense, as i said, i have great respect for you guys, i love XBMC, i had it on my Xbox and i have it on my Media PC, i was merely stating fact as it is.

I will make this my last post, i don't want to get insulted anymore Smile

lets put thius another way, if there was hardware 3d acceleration for the ps3, im sure xbmc would of been patched already to run on the ps3, I am showing that xbmc in the state its in right now, can and will run on the ps3 (slowly).

You guys got it that far already, I havent patched or touched (other than to compile) the svn source I downloaded from your svn repo. I also found a driver that is suitable (Thanks to the work done over at mesa3d.org) that will be suitable to speed up the xbmc install on the ps3 to a reasonable speed for movie playback etc...

I have made the video and posted it here, to raise awareness that the ps3, could well be a viable port if people are willing to spend some time on it, I personally will be working on it, (not that im any sort of dev or coder I'll have to learn on the fly to get anywhere else with it).

If you the team here has no interest in helping out then fair enough, I'll say no more on the matter here.

XBMC rocks, so I wouldnt like to cause any of the team any offence, and I'm sorry if that is what has happened,.

- lovedaddy - 2010-05-15

Wow, very impressive - I saw the work on cell opengl stuff, sounds exciting

- ralob - 2010-05-15

The devs has reiterated time and again that they have zero interest in dedicating any time to making XBMC run on PS3, XBox360, etc. Nothing has changed since they have made those announcements. If there WAS a change of policy, it would be stated on the front page. There is no indication that the team has changed their views. Period.

Since it is opened source, feel free to port it independently.

- saratoga - 2010-05-15

GregoryRasputin Wrote:I take offense to being called a troll, from guys who said it wasn't possible to run XBMC on the PS3, that were shown it was possible, its obvious that you guys didn't have the capabilities to get it running when you said it wasn't possible.

It sounds like you're trolling because you're agreeing in the most disrespectful way possible. Stop doing that and you'll be offended less.

- migueld - 2010-05-15

Nice work madshaun1984 Smile I was surprised to see it running even though it's slow. I assumed that it was impossible to get anything remotely working based on the statements by the XBMC devs, but it's nice to see otherwise Smile

- Jezz_X - 2010-05-15

GregoryRasputin Wrote:I take offense to being called a troll, from guys who said it wasn't possible to run XBMC on the PS3, that were shown it was possible, its obvious that you guys didn't have the capabilities to get it running when you said it wasn't possible.

That said, i wasn't intending or trying to cause any offense, as i said, i have great respect for you guys, i love XBMC, i had it on my Xbox and i have it on my Media PC, i was merely stating fact as it is.

LOL I don't think anyone ever said it wouldn't run on a ps3 or that it wasn't possible after all they are just running ubuntu anyway. If anything they may have said that it wont run natively (like it did on xbox) or that team xbmc will never bother making it run on a ps3

- natethomas - 2010-05-15

Don't be too sad that the devs here don't want to play. That just gives each and every person out there a chance to look like a hero. Someone has supposedly just gotten a popcorn hour port running.

Perhaps one day madshaun could be to the PS3 as that guy is to popcorn hour.

Jezz_X Wrote:LOL I don't think anyone ever said it wouldn't run on a ps3 or that it wasn't possible after all they are just running ubuntu anyway. If anything they may have said that it wont run natively (like it did on xbox) or that team xbmc will never bother making it run on a ps3

Did you even read my first post on this thread? it clearly states in what I quoted there that it cannot be done even so far as to say that just because linux runs on a ps3, doesnt mean xbmc can be run.

The port to ppc for XBMC has unlocked a big door in enabling me to get this running, but the other lack the ps3 had was a driver capable of running it.

I'm not aiming to get into an arguement over this, but have posted again, just to try and clear things up. I am not sure if the xbmc team were aware of the progress mesa have made with they're drivers (which would explain why they said it can not be done), and is is partly why I posted here, but now I know that the XBMC team is not interested in helping with a port, I'll happily set something up to try and progress with it else where.

If anyone here is interested (and no I dont mean the XBMC team) I have posted a tut on how I got everything set up here... http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=12075

- topfs2 - 2010-05-15

GregoryRasputin Wrote:That said, i wasn't intending or trying to cause any offense, as i said, i have great respect for you guys, i love XBMC, i had it on my Xbox and i have it on my Media PC, i was merely stating fact as it is.

Just to be fair, we have stated many times that the problem is not to compile and start xbmc but the lack of hw accel drivers. We HAVE also stated that the new cell drivers are interesting but afaik its just one dev that have a PS3 and he weren't interested in doing it.

All in all, my reply was only to say we never said it was impossible. I mean its still a nice accomplishment no matter, I just think the threadstarter tramped on a few toes when saying team xbmc said that it was impossible, when we never have said such a thing.

As jmarshall said, we would welcome patches for getting it to work, after all the more platforms xbmc runs on the better.

- topfs2 - 2010-05-15

madshaun1984 Wrote:Did you even read my first post on this thread? it clearly states in what I quoted there that it cannot be done even so far as to say that just because linux runs on a ps3, doesnt mean xbmc can be run.

Hehe, that FAQ entry was aimed at everyone, was simpler to just state it wasn't possible than to explain why (the drivers were the real problem). We wrote it when the celldriver was incredibly bad, I have no idea how much it has improved or if it may be in a useable state now. The threads were we explained that the driver was the problem many people never got the message so it was simpler to just say "hey, its not possible" even if that was a abit untrue.

Edited :- Sorry just saw the post that must of been typed as I was replying.

Yeah I can see that as being the problem, as its exactly why its now possible to run it. Give it a few more months (judging by updates so far to the mesa driver) and it could be in a much better condition. Get the linux-cell driver going fully with it, and it'll just be a pure win Big Grin

- nickritus - 2010-05-15

Pure win apart from the fact the whole feature was removed. Anyone with a new slim PS3 couldn't use it and anyone wanting to use PSN with older PS3s can't use it. Really sucks they removed the feature but what's done is done.