Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- GregoryRasputin - 2010-05-18

gabbott Wrote:Rolleyes

Edit: Ya know, I wasn't going to bite but...

I don't consider it a bite, your merely stating your opinion, in which you have every right and i respect you for doing so Smile

gabbott Wrote:Anyway, it is one thing to disagree with the developers but another to throw around who is incapable of what because they didn't have interest in what you wanted.

It would have been nice to have had a little help, or even it being accepted as a possible viable port, i could go on and on about it, but there is little point, i understand that you arnt interested or that you care about XBMC on the PS3.

Personally, i think its the most awesome non game related thing to hit the PS3 in the past three years.

- aaronb - 2010-05-18

GregoryRasputin Wrote:No not really, i stand by my stance, if you arnt capable of doing something, its pretty damn easy to say it cant be done Big Grin

They never said "it can't be done", they said "you can't do it today". There's quite a big difference there.

aaronb Wrote:They never said "it can't be done", they said "you can't do it today". There's quite a big difference there.

Not really, but yeah whatever lol
Today is today and tomorrow will be today and next year will be today, etc etc etc, you see now we have an infinity of today's and if every day will be today, then it will never happen O.o

- rausch101 - 2010-05-18

GregoryRasputin Wrote:Today is today and tomorrow will be today and next year will be today, etc etc etc, you see now we have an infinity of today's and if every day will be today, then it will never happen O.o

Winner for worst logic ever

- Jezz_X - 2010-05-18

Advanced warning if this topic turns into a flame war I'm locking it and banning all those who contribute to the war

- waldo22 - 2010-05-18

@MadShaun and Rasputin,

Please understand that the Devs are not refusing to integrate patches that people make that support the PS3.

If either of you or someone you know has the skills to get XBMC working with HW accelerated graphics on the PS3, they can probably help to integrate your patches.

There's no reason for this angry talk.

The Devs just aren't interested in doing it themselves, due to the closed platform and the ability of Sony/Microsoft/et al to change (break) these console platforms at will and without notice. It is also (at this time) pretty cumbersome to get any homebrew apps running on these platforms.

I think these are valid reasons.

Nobody will be upset if you discuss possible ways to get OpenGL or some other 3D accel working on the PS3. In fact, I think you'll get a lot of support from the community, even the devs.

Please try not to say things in a way that insults the devs for their decision to not support this platform.

If you guys have patches, I'm sure they'll be glad to apply them and maybe even help with them.

Good luck with this, hope you can get it working.

It would really be awesome.

-Wes

- paul - 2010-05-18

Jezz_X Wrote:Advanced warning if this topic turns into a flame war I'm locking it and banning all those who contribute to the war
I for one think this thread is totally pointless(dear Jezz can i say that)
also why not lock it before all the children start throwing there toy's out of there prams.
Stick to playing games on your ps3's and xbox 360's and use your parents PC's for everything elseWink

waldo22 Wrote:@MadShaun and Rasputin,

Please understand that the Devs are not refusing to integrate patches that people make that support the PS3.

If either of you or someone you know has the skills to get XBMC working with HW accelerated graphics on the PS3, they can probably help to integrate your patches.

There's no reason for this angry talk.

The Devs just aren't interested in doing it themselves, due to the closed platform and the ability of Sony/Microsoft/et al to change (break) these console platforms at will and without notice. It is also (at this time) pretty cumbersome to get any homebrew apps running on these platforms.

I think these are valid reasons.

Nobody will be upset if you discuss possible ways to get OpenGL or some other 3D accel working on the PS3. In fact, I think you'll get a lot of support from the community, even the devs.

Please try not to say things in a way that insults the devs for their decision to not support this platform.

If you guys have patches, I'm sure they'll be glad to apply them and maybe even help with them.

Good luck with this, hope you can get it working.

It would really be awesome.

-Wes

Thanks for your support, i know it seems im being a bit of an ass, i just expected more, but yeah, madshaun1984 will keep at it, ill not comment anymore.

- EMK0 - 2010-05-18

It would be great if someone got xbmc to run on a ps3 where the user could run it very easily with otheros but its to late now and pointless as no one would give up games to just run xbmc. This is the biggest problem with consoles sony,ms,nintendo all could end this anytime and or you would have to do some non noob friendly things just to run xbmc, where you could just put xbmc live on a usb stick and that's it.

- hachiroku - 2010-06-02

waldo22 Wrote:due to the closed platform and the ability of Sony/Microsoft/et al to change (break) these console platforms at will and without notice.

as much as it would BE GREAT to get this working on either of the noted consoles your comment right there sums it all up. As with how SONY killed linux with their past firmware update.

along with this many if not all of the separate CPU's (GPU/CPU/Bluray/etc) that compose the PS3 will require a separate set of coding just to get anything working correctly. i figure its a coders NIGHTMARE.

- nubz69 - 2010-06-06

Now that we have XBMC running on PS3 can we get some more people developing for it?

http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=12075

I think this is even more important now that the original xbox will not be supported.

[PS3] Now that the PS3 seems to have been hacked to allow homebrew software... - Token78 - 2010-08-20

I didn't know where to put this, but figured hardware made some sense.

Well, it seems that the PS3 has now been "jailbroken"...

psjailbreak.com

Endgadget - PS3 modchip claims to finally allow backing up games without invasive console surgery

If true, I don't suppose anybody has any suggestions, or any notion of what it would take to port XBMC to PS3?

Easiest would be to pull off a linux install that wasn't video card retarded no?

Anyhow, this question is purely discursive, but I'd love to hear people's thoughts!

- matchsmalone - 2010-08-20

Not gonna happen. There are already plenty of posts about this, but I'll reiterate the highlights:

I think people always bring this up because of the fact that XBMC started on the Xbox, so people think that something similar could be done on the latest gen consoles. However, the only reason XBMC even started on the Xbox, is because at the time it had some powerful hardware for the price. Nowadays, you can get an Ion box that plays 1080p flawlessly for less than a PS3, so there's really no need to even bother.

Aside from that, as I understand it, porting it to PowerPC is extremely nontrivial, with no real benefit given the availability of cheaper alternatives that meet everyone's needs.

- magnetik - 2010-08-20

matchsmalone Wrote:However, the only reason XBMC even started on the Xbox, is because at the time it had some powerful hardware for the price. Nowadays, you can get an Ion box that plays 1080p flawlessly for less than a PS3, so there's really no need to even bother.

Agreed - I'm sure the development is fragmented enough with Win/Linux/OSX builds - adding another one to the mix just means more time is wasted keeping them in sync, rather than working on enhanced features and performance.

- Token78 - 2010-08-20

matchsmalone Wrote:no real benefit given the availability of cheaper alternatives that meet everyone's needs.

I don't know - personally I appreciated the original XBOX being the only box I needed attached to my TV - gaming, DVDs, music and all round media player bundled together. That's what turned me on to XBMC, as opposed to your model of XBMC being a driver to purchase an XBOX.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I think you're right though, whether this comes to pass comes down to the relative costs & benefits and I'm sure you're right, folks who just want a HTPC are not about to buy a PS3 to do the job.

So for those tinkerers out there who also dig their PS3s, the real question I suspect now comes down to how difficult the port would be, now that we have access to the means by which to run homebrew software on the PS3 console. If it's too much of a drama, of course it won't happen

And to that end, that's why I started a thread... as I said, this is purely discursive - a discussion on the hypothetical means by which this might be achieved and the obstacles involved.