Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Token78 - 2010-08-20

magnetik Wrote:Agreed - I'm sure the development is fragmented enough with Win/Linux/OSX builds - adding another one to the mix just means more time is wasted keeping them in sync, rather than working on enhanced features and performance.

Well, I was wondering whether a jailbroken PS3 might be able to run linux (once more) and better still, linux with access to the video processing capacities of the PS3 - if so... another build wouldn't be required.

- matchsmalone - 2010-08-20

Like I said, there are already multiple threads about this.

I think if you read some of these, you'll find that this topic is something that just pisses the developers off. They have no plans to work on something for the PS3, and I personally am fine with that.

If you happen to have the skills to pursue this yourself, then that would be great.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-08-21

Token78 Wrote:Well, I was wondering whether a jailbroken PS3 might be able to run linux (once more) and better still, linux with access to the video processing capacities of the PS3

The PS3 had a chance to be a decent XBMC box. Then the "Other OS" option was taken away. Just because it can be hacked back doesn't help- the Wii can be cracked worse than any console ever and there is no work to port XBMC to it.

XBMC's emphasis is on PCs now....

- saratoga - 2010-08-21

Token78 Wrote:Well, I was wondering whether a jailbroken PS3 might be able to run linux (once more) and better still, linux with access to the video processing capacities of the PS3 - if so... another build wouldn't be required.

Installing Linux doesn't turn your PS3 into an x86 PC. Its still a PPC CPU with a really weird set of DSP coprocessors. You'll need a port a of XBMC to that, and probably a port of ffmpeg as well unless you're going to run everything on the slow main CPU.

I think the amount of effort needed to get the hardware able to decode what Ion already does is so great they wouldn't be making PS3s by the time it was usable.

- jonte511 - 2010-08-22

I totally agree with Token 78. XBMC on the PS3 would have been great. Unfortunately that probably will not happen due to the hardware in the PS3... Sad

Also I think Token 78 made it clear he did not in any way "request" or "nag" about this, he simply wanted to discuss the possibilities. Nothing wrong with that(?)

PS3 Jailbreak is however a great progress and I'm finally considering buying one for this reason. And if in_some_very_unlikely_way the XBMC would be ported to the PS3 I would not hesitate for a moment to to buy it! Also my sister would be very happy since I then would retire my HTPC to her... Wink

PSJailbreak - A new hope that we will see XBMC on the PS3? - x2c666 - 2010-08-23

For the uninitiated a group of hackers have recently released a hack called the PSJailbreak for the PS3 that simply plugs into USB port of the Playstation and tricks the console into running in debug mode.

Once in debug mode it is possible to run unsigned code and the hackers have already released a backup manager that runs on both Fat and Slim models.

But I dont care about be able to run "backup" games! The first thing that came to mind was does this mean we might finally see a port of XBMC running unrestricted on PS3??

- joebrady - 2010-08-23

Nothing official from Team XBMC will ever surface for a console again. Ever.No

- liquidskin76 - 2010-08-23

Already been dicussed here...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79339&highlight=jailbreak

No is the short anwser!!! No For many reasons.

Cheers

- Geeba - 2010-08-23

A uniform platform thats designed to be plugged into a TV? - that would be just awfull! Big Grin

- linuxluemmel - 2010-08-24

LOL it was his 1. posting LOL

- poofyhairguy - 2010-08-24

Geeba Wrote:A uniform platform thats designed to be plugged into a TV? - that would be just ION

Fixed.

- jonte511 - 2010-08-24

Geeba Wrote:A uniform platform thats designed to be plugged into a TV? - that would be just awfull! Big Grin

LOL! Just awful... Laugh

- jonte511 - 2010-08-24

poofyhairguy Wrote:Fixed.

Well, except for gaming... An excellent HTPC/MediaCenter though!

- Geeba - 2010-08-24

jonte511 Wrote:An excellent HTPC/MediaCenter though!

Kind of.... audio and a decent remote (for me) is a complete SHAG! Eek

- preppie - 2010-08-24

Suprised to see so many comments regarding that the topic has been discussed in previous threads. As the creator of this thread clearly states and if some of you take the time to read more about the PS Jailbreak the rules have changed a bit and i for one think that this discussion is really interesting. Would love an allinone solution with the PS3 slim in the center running XBMC. quit wining and move on if you are not interested.