Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- jmarshall - 2010-10-04

Quote:If the official devs do not want to do it, then someone else is going to take up the baton. But do I get this right that if we do get our PS3 port, the official devs are going to disown it? That would be even more disappointing and narrowminded.

Honestly, I'm kinda shocked by the attitude - out of all the homebrew projects, I was expecting this the least from XBMC - given where it comes from.

XBMC runs on ARM, PPC, i386 (32/64 bit, GLES, GL, DX). If someone ports to also run on the PS3, then we won't complain, indeed we'd be quite happy to give pointers and tips as required, just like we do with any submission.

It just won't be us, simple as that. The majority of us don't own a PS3 and I suspect most of us that don't own one don't particularly want one.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- squarepusher - 2010-10-04

jmarshall Wrote:XBMC runs on ARM, PPC, i386 (32/64 bit, GLES, GL, DX). If someone ports to also run on the PS3, then we won't complain, indeed we'd be quite happy to give pointers and tips as required, just like we do with any submission.

It just won't be us, simple as that. The majority of us don't own a PS3 and I suspect most of us that don't own one don't particularly want one.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Alright, that sounds fair. It was my impression that the XBMC team would abhor any ports of XBMC to a less-than-open system using less-than-open development tools. I take it that was a mistaken assumption.

- frieten - 2010-10-04

jmarshall Wrote:XBMC runs on ARM, PPC, i386 (32/64 bit, GLES, GL, DX). If someone ports to also run on the PS3, then we won't complain, indeed we'd be quite happy to give pointers and tips as required, just like we do with any submission.

Cheers,
Jonathan

thats good to hear, i know alot of people are very interested in an XBMC port to ps3, you can just look at alot of the ps3 scene sites and number 1 on almost everyones homebrew list is an XBMC port or equivelent.

- teaguecl - 2010-10-04

squarepusher Wrote:saying 'Get an ION, it will probably do a better job at it anyway' is not a satisfactory answer to give anyone - it's simply a more diplomatic way of saying 'Shut the hell up about you wanting a PS3 port, I honestly could not care'.
I apologize for the confusion. Speaking for myself I can safely say "Shut the hell up about you wanting a PS3 port, I honestly could not care". However, I don't speak for any of the other devs - maybe some of them do care.

squarepusher Wrote:Alright, that sounds fair. It was my impression that the XBMC team would abhor any ports of XBMC to a less-than-open system using less-than-open development tools. I take it that was a mistaken assumption.
The XBMC team does whatever it would like to do, and right now the focus is not on the PS3. Anyone can work on a PS3 port if they like, how about you pick up your keyboard and get going? XBMC is a gift from generous people who are donating their talents for the benefit of all of us. Constructive feedback is fantastic, but "Please give me X, I deserve it" just comes off as ungrateful.
I truly am sorry for the nasty tone of this post, I don't mean to bring the level of discourse down so low - but this really struck a nerve with me. We don't owe you anything.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-10-04

Quote:PS3 would be a great host platform for XBMC - I don't even see the logic of preferring an Nvidia ION-based system in this case.

Ok, I have to comment on this nonsense.

Quote:The main processor is not as slow as some here are making it out to be - it's a PPC PowerPC-based CPU (called the PPU) running at 3.2GHz.

Which, if you have ever tried to use it for general computer purposes, seems to be about as fast as a 800mhz Pentium 3. For general computing purposes (such as the XBMC interface) with general code an Atom is light years faster than the PS3's CPU.

A PS3 only wins the CPU game if you get the SPUs involved, and you have to code with those in mind from the start.

Quote:The PS3 has got a built-in HDD

Which is primitive in the age of SSD. Many ION boxes around here have SSDs for a XBMC performance boost. We don't even know if a PS3 will take a SSD.

Quote: - it's got a Gigabit NIC -

So does every computer made in the last 3 years.

Quote: it's got an HDMI port

An old HDMI 1.3 port that will be made obsolete by Nvidia's next ION line probably.

Quote:- the only thing that might be even remotely offputting might be the segmented RAM (256MB which is designated as 'Main', and 256MB of which is designated as 'Local' and meant for the RSX - but you can shuffle that around).

Shuffle it around and still have a total of 512mb, when most ION boxes have 2GBs of RAM.

Considering that an ION box (via Bluetooth) can also use the PS3 controllers and remotes, I don't see a single area where a PS3 is better than an ION box for XBMC.

Once you are a little more impartial about it, it is easy to "see the logic of preferring an Nvidia ION-based system."

Face facts- you have a PS3 already and you want XBMC in your livingroom without having to buy an ION box. That is fine, no one can fault you for that, but lets not pretend the PS3 is a better platform!!

ps3 xbmc would kick arse - mngrl1 - 2010-10-18

the best thing about xbmc on xbox was it just worked! you pick up the controller and bam everything at your finger tips.

my wife gives me the fucking shits trying to use xbmc on PC the one big problem is the bloody controller i have a dinovo mini at the moment and for me it works great but her its to many buttons

i think if xbmc came to the PS3 it would make so many people happy because every one would have the same hardware the same controller the same hdmi out

at the moment you have so many different bloody configurations ubuntu kindle mac osx win 32 64bit omg questions questions questions

i saw the new boxee box the other day and i thought that's gold every one will have the same hardware and control the end user will be happy and not bloody confused and annoyed

- stoli - 2010-10-18

mngrl1 Wrote:the best thing about xbmc on xbox was it just worked! you pick up the controller and bam everything at your finger tips.

my wife gives me the fucking shits trying to use xbmc on PC the one big problem is the bloody controller i have a dinovo mini at the moment and for me it works great but her its to many buttons

So setup a different controller, Xbox, PS3, Harmony, take your pick. Problem solved/wife happy.

- linuxluemmel - 2010-10-18

let us be honestly ... PS3 is game-console with very limited ram / cpu .-(
the ion rocks ... :-)

- poofyhairguy - 2010-10-18

mngrl1 Wrote:the best thing about xbmc on xbox was it just worked! you pick up the controller and bam everything at your finger tips.

You are doing it wrong. Buy a Harmony. Only way to make the wife happy.

- Geeba - 2010-10-18

Fully understand mngrl1 - I dont think some of the newer XBMC user get the drift of just how good the Xbox and the way it worked was....

My third attempt of XBMC on PC hardware ION has just been RMA'd back to the supplier... no way the Mrs will ever use it... I dont wanna crack open Linux code to get stuff working... to old... not enough time... Harmony 650 is about to grace ebay. its laggy with xbmc.. it never does what the original remote did. nice quality but absolutly no WAF!

Roll on boxee and maybe Google TV with XBMC

- stpfarms - 2010-10-19

Geeba Wrote:Fully understand mngrl1 - I dont think some of the newer XBMC user get the drift of just how good the Xbox and the way it worked was....

My third attempt of XBMC on PC hardware ION has just been RMA'd back to the supplier... no way the Mrs will ever use it... I dont wanna crack open Linux code to get stuff working... to old... not enough time... Harmony 650 is about to grace ebay. its laggy with xbmc.. it never does what the original remote did. nice quality but absolutly no WAF!

Roll on boxee and maybe Google TV with XBMC

My XBMC on Linux works EXACTLY as the Xbox did. You just install XBOXDRV from: http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/ and the the XBMC KEYMAP and hook up your Xbox 360 wireless controller with a MS XBOX wireless receiver and it is the exact same. I love the triggers and scrolling through all my music and movies which my Harmony is to slow at. You can even use a usb adapter with your original XBOX controller and it is the same as well.

- Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-10-19

Got a PS3 slim it'd be quite awesome to have xbmc on it, it emits very little noise, although no matter which way you put it, a fan is still the enemy. Wink

But one really big inconvenience here is simply the way that you load homebrew on jailbreaked ps3, totally not suitable for home cinema and certainly your wife or kids Laugh

Can you imagine the scene, telling your girlfriend/wife/kids that they need to:
- get off the couch and go the ps3
- turn power off, and not just sleep mode, actual switch off! On a ps3 slim with no switch you have to build a custom cable or use a 'multiplug' with a switch, as unplugging manually all the time is not the smartest thing.
- make sure the dongle is plugged
- quickly push reset then eject (in the same second)
- wait for xmb boot and select the xbmc app

Even just for me i wouldn't bother to have that as a default media center... It need to be turned on with the remote, and boot right on xbmc.

Now maybe in some months/years hackers will manage to get rid of this boot process (hopefully) but until then, even if xbmc got released on ps3 i doubt that it would just make it the 'absolute' family media center

- frumpy_uk - 2010-10-20

@ Geeba and others. If it's of any interest, here's my journey:
I had a couple or 3 three years on the xbox before trying out xbmc on a PC. I started with a full-on Vista PC, hated it, moved to a low spec linux machine with a graphics card, found it too hard.

Tried an Apple TV and hmm, its pretty good. Installed a crystal HD card, yep it's good. Installed a custom made linux on USB and wow - it's great. I've been on this platform for months now and not looked back.

If you're looking for uniform hardware and all the benefits that brings, the Apple TV could be for you. Having davilla there as an Apple TV enthusiast and enthusiastic xbmc developer is extremely handy as well....

It's also small, quiet, low power, cheap to buy and looks nice to boot.

- cassius - 2010-10-21

it looks like linux on the PS3 with all 7 SPEs in play is quickly becomming a reality.

AsbestOS on PS3

Are there any talented devs out there interested in a port? id be happy to donate to such a cause.

- teaguecl - 2010-10-21

cassius Wrote:Are there any talented devs out there interested in a port? id be happy to donate to such a cause.
Please stop asking. How about no more posts in this thread unless they include patches?