Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Philmatic - 2011-01-13

The_Dogg Wrote:^^ the hack is already out, sony can try what they want to stop it, but it's a moo point.

Like a cow's opinion?

- darkscout - 2011-01-13

There needs to be a sticky. "IF YOU WANT XBMC ON X, Y, Z PLATFORM: YOU WRITE THE CODE". The other thread was locked. The Boxee thread won't die.

-

Nice friends reference.

- TugboatBill - 2011-01-13

The_Dogg Wrote:^^ the hack is already out, sony can try what they want to stop it, but it's a moo point.

Master key has been released, and sony can't do nothing about it appart from trying to scare people off

It isn't a moo point. Sony is dedicated to stopping these hacks. That means they're making it harder to hack the PS3 and the consequences can be severe. That doesn't stop it from happening, it just reduces the number of hacked systems. Fewer hacked systems, less reason to port XBMC to the PS3.

Obviously there are a lot of people that have PS3s that would like to run XBMC on them. Unfortunately it s a closed system. Why not just use it to play games?

- gargoyle67 - 2011-01-13

TugboatBill Wrote:Why not just use it to play games?
Err because it's just as much a media player as it is a games console and a dam fine one at that, in fact theres a large user base that just buy the unit to use as a media player.mmm remind me how was xbox media center born:p

- YodaEXE - 2011-01-14

Another topic regarding this was just closed and locked. It's not going to happen. The devs have absolutely zero interest in this. Forget about it.

- gargoyle67 - 2011-01-14

could care less if it happens or not got a nice HTPC for xbmc:p But I don't think you can say with any certainty that it will never happen, unless you can see into the future which you can't can you ?Rofl

- darkscout - 2011-01-14

How much less could you care? A little? A lot? Because no one is saying it won't happen.

According to the core XBMC Devs, they were never going to ever support Sigma chips (Media Hour, etc), but we see how that changed.

However until someone else says they're going to do it, it's not going to happen.

- YodaEXE - 2011-01-14

darkscout Wrote:According to the core XBMC Devs, they were never going to ever support Sigma chips (Media Hour, etc), but we see how that changed.

The difference there is that Sigma is actually paying someone to do it.

YodaEXE Wrote:It's not going to happen. The devs have absolutely zero interest in this. Forget about it.
I think he said it's not going to happen or am I reading it wrong, And I have zero interest in seeing xbmc on the PS3, But the way some ppl are talking it's set in stone that it's never going to happen, Which of course is just waffle, no one knows what will happen in the future, except maybe Marty mcflySmile

- ryan03rr - 2011-01-14

YodaEXE Wrote:The difference there is that Sigma is actually paying someone to do it.
Sony pays devs enough ....it would get done in 15min.....that would be the day....
sorry agreed not gonna happen. great idea..... worst company on earth ruined that beautiful machine.
ya its cracked.......... but come on... barely cracked at that. e.g. 5% of total units...

i have 3.41 bc cracked ...... but like i said thats less 5% .
it would be sexy as a frontend tho.... you know how many rlod boxes i buy to make htpcs
sonys so fucking stupid for not making that thing a media center out of the box.

- tehownt - 2011-01-14

Come on, Linux runs on a PS3 standalone now, private metldr and other keys have been released, that's just the end of it.
It's now just a standard computer running a standard OS, getting XBMC running on it is just a matter of time.
If it ain't done by the standard dev team for religious reasons, someone will fork and do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItOpt81UnI

All you guys pretending that Sony will do anything to block this and eventually succeed are just way too misinformed:
The freaking boot loader, lvl0, lvl1 and lvl2 private keys are public now, for all the PS3s out there, they cannot change the metldr keys without building a new architecture from scratch, and having access to metldr keys means you can sign any bootloader code that fakes anything for all the higher levels while they wont be able to detect it.
It's an NP complete problem, they can't control something from you over which you have a lower level access.
They so know they are owned, that the only answer they've been able to give so far is try and sue George Hotz and the fail0verflow team for releasing this...

XBMC on a PS3 can be done and Sony can't do squat about it.

Disclaimer: I do not own a PS3.

- cassius - 2011-01-14

tehownt Wrote:If it ain't done by the standard dev team for religious reasons, someone will fork and do it.

And who exactly might that be?

Im all for a PS3 port, but there is currently zero interest from those that can actually do the port.

Given the developments of Sigma, maybe the question that should be asked is how much would we have to come up with in order to legitimately pay a developer to do this port?
I think it would be reasonable to assume there are atleast 5000 PS3 users who are aware of xbmc and would like it running on their console. If we could get that 5000 to each donated $5 would that be enough to get a port going?

Pulling figures out of the air with no factual bases gota love forum logicRofl
If there's a market to develop and sell the dongles at about £15\$15 (150 when the jail break 1st come out) a pop I'm sure if some group really wanted they could hire someone to convert\adapt the code.

- Philmatic - 2011-01-14

Can a mod please LOCK this thread!?!?

- milk - 2011-01-14

Yeah Mod.... please lock this thread. oh wait, there might be one last thing to add to this thread. THE PS3 KEY HAS BEEN MADE PUBLIC! oops..... i said it.

http://www.techspot.com/news/41808-hacker-releases-playstation-3-root-key.html

This means that unsigned software can now run on the PS3 without a hardware mod. This also means that the only way to block unsigned code is a hardware change by Sony and then all of the previously released games would be unplayable. That basically means that the PS3 is forever owned.

There are groups already working on XBMC/Linux running on the PS3 with the v.3.5.5.

I love this thread though. XBMC WILL NEVER BE ON THE PS3! HA HA.

ok, please close the thread now. Really. Close it! HURRY! Close the FREAKIN THREAD!