Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- maiki - 2008-01-22

Being a huge Xbox One fan, I am sorry to say that switching to PC Linux is the clear death of XBMC... And... looking around what is actually available as for the terms of a media center.... Sony has made a hard but the only fortunate decision of all the players (unfortunately for MS this time) on the ground...

Come on people. Who is going to put crappy PC beside TV in the living room.... Just wake up and port XBMC to PS3 just the way it acts on the Xbox. PS3 has all the potential and much more to deserve to be the only next generation of this project.

XBMC is going to die out if you switch to PC. Nobody cares about them as for the media centers. People want "one box" solution in their living rooms. Thay wanna have a quite all-in-one game station on their shelf and thats it.

Once again: port it to PS3, please, if you want to keep it alive and in its natural spirits.

- FlappySocks - 2008-01-22

XBMC is being ported to Linux. Linux runs on many platforms. Unfortunately the PS3 Linux implementation is lacking some important features right now, which is a separate project, outside of XBMC. Lets hope someone gets that done soon, as I also want XBMC on my PS3.

- rodalpho - 2008-01-22

That's exactly right. Computer hardware is becoming increasingly commoditized. It may cost US$400 or so to build a XBMC/linux box powerful enough for HD right now, but as time passes it will get dramatically cheaper until you can pick up a $100 embedded device with a system on a chip to do it. As an open source project, it can be ported to any system that meets its prerequisites. Linux isn't the death of XBMC, it's the rebirth. Porting to another closed platform would be a deathknell.

- d4rk - 2008-01-22

maiki Wrote:I am sorry to say that switching to PC Linux is the clear death of XBMC...

Come on people. Who is going to put crappy PC beside TV in the living room....

Just wake up and port XBMC to PS3...

Once again: port it to PS3, please, if you want to keep it alive and in its natural spirits.

As inspiring and encouraging as your post is, there's much more to porting to PS3 than just "waking up", feel free to read this thread and educate yourself.

PC really bad idea - maiki - 2008-01-22

Not at all...

Open platform means nothing but troubles.

What made XBMC so famous? It was Xbox, closed platform, one definite media solution in ONE box. That is the magic behind XBMC.

Come on people, closed platform means performance, optimization, stability.

Once you spread it to Linux PC it is going to lose all these major factors. It is going to act different on different HW, and there are thousands of variations. You will never be able to kame it run as good as on Xbox, or any closed platform, meaning NOT on a PC.

- SleepyP - 2008-01-22

apparently you haven't been reading the Linux forums. Even in its pre-alpha state it already kicks ass...

- d4rk - 2008-01-22

maiki Wrote:Not at all...

Open platform means nothing but troubles.

What made XBMC so famous? It was Xbox, closed platform, one definite media solution in ONE box. That is the magic behind XBMC.

Come on people, closed platform means performance, optimization, stability.

Once you spread it to Linux PC it is going to lose all these major factors. It is going to act different on different HW, and there are thousands of variations. You will never be able to kame it run as good as on Xbox, or any closed platform, meaning NOT on a PC.

Please don't waste your time arguing about how closed platforms are great etc, to open source developers, no team member has any intention of using stolen Sony SDKs to make a PS3 binary. XBMC is being ported to Linux irrespective of your feelings about open platforms (which is basically that all PCs and PC software suck because they are open hardware platforms? Sounds idiotic if anything.).

We have no intention of supporting every possible hardware configuration. At some point when the port is stable enough, there will be a "target" configuration that we will support.

XBMC might be ported to the PS3 at a much later stage if the PS3 becomes a viable (legal) platform and that's what this thread is about. So please don't troll here about open platforms etc, feel free to contribute productively to the discussion.

- Neil - 2008-01-23

Why is there such a large hoard of PS3 fans demanding an XBMC port when the PS3 is already a streaming media player? It plays at east DivX and h.264. Is it missing some crititally important codecs? Is the ui very crubmsy? Or is it more about gamers who already have a console and don't want to spend any money on another device.

Have you ever used XBMC? - Gamester17 - 2008-01-23

Neil Wrote:Why is there such a large hoard of PS3 fans demanding an XBMC port when the PS3 is already a streaming media player? It plays at east DivX and h.264. Is it missing some crititally important codecs? Is the ui very crubmsy? Or is it more about gamers who already have a console and don't want to spend any money on another device.
I do not have a PS3 myself but they say that the GUI (user interface) is awful, ...maybe pretty, but not user-friendly at all, at least not the multimedia part of it. If you have ever used XBMC yourself then I do not think you would be asking that question, ...after all, there really is no substitute; once you gone XBMC you never want to go back to using something that is anything less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_Features_and_Supported_Formats/Codecs
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?title=The_XBMC_manifesto

- embrion - 2008-01-23

Gamester17 Wrote:once you gone XBMC you never want to go back to using something that is anything less.

I agree. I tested MediaPortal which has XBMC roots, it does even more (DVB support) but XBMC is somehow better in what it does. Maybe it is just getting used to and remote hooking up to MP.

- aaronb - 2008-01-24

I'm not even a developer, and it annoys me to no end the constant stream of people saying "Just port it to PS3, it's not hard, some guy on website x said that the PS3 is cracked, blah blah". I'm surprised you guys haven't just locked the thread already. Don't worry, plenty of us are waiting patiently and quietly while you guys work on improving the best media center software out there so that we can get HD. The work is appreciated.

- Nick8888 - 2008-01-24

aaronb Wrote:I'm not even a developer, and it annoys me to no end the constant stream of people saying "Just port it to PS3, it's not hard, some guy on website x said that the PS3 is cracked, blah blah". I'm surprised you guys haven't just locked the thread already. Don't worry, plenty of us are waiting patiently and quietly while you guys work on improving the best media center software out there so that we can get HD. The work is appreciated.

yes, these dumbasses don't represent all of us end users. The majority of us are very excited about the possibilities created with xbmc on linux.

- ashlar - 2008-01-24

To the PS3 fans, I just have this to say: "Bring your complaints to Sony".

It's Sony that crippled their Linux version on PS3 by not giving any kind of access to the CPU. It's not XBMC team's fault. It's Sony's.

Pure and simple, whether you like it or not. It's not right to vent anger in this direction, as it is the wrong direction.

- midgetspy - 2008-01-25

Neil Wrote:Why is there such a large hoard of PS3 fans demanding an XBMC port when the PS3 is already a streaming media player? It plays at east DivX and h.264. Is it missing some crititally important codecs? Is the ui very crubmsy? Or is it more about gamers who already have a console and don't want to spend any money on another device.

The UI is great, and I have an XBox already.

I can't speak for everybody, but for me the reason is simple. 100% of my DivX movies are SD and can be played by XBMC on my XBox. The only reason I need/want something other than an XBox is to play HD content**. Unfortunately 99% of HD content is encoded in .mkv files, which the PS3 can't stream. So the streaming capabilities of the PS3 are 100% useless to me - it plays what the XBox already plays and doesn't play what the XBox can't play, hehe.

** Actually the PS3 is horrible at playing DivX, its performance is almost identical to the XBox/XBMC. I can play a 720p DivX on both systems, and they are both smooth for the most part except for high-action parts where they get very choppy. That's right, the PS3 can't keep up with high-bitrate (< 10Mbps) DivX playback at 720p... *sigh*

So anyway, I just wanted to say I am patiently waiting for the day if/when we see a PS3 XBMC liveCD. I currently use my computer to play HD content on my TV but using XBMC would be 100x better :0) I sincerely hope that it becomes possible at some point.

Has the Megabox project been mentioned in this thread? It has basically no functionality now but they're claiming/planning to have full media center features on a liveCD linux distro... have they not yet realized the difficulties they're going to face or do they know something the XBMC team doesn't know?

- dizzey - 2008-01-25

Well the megabox project have a simpler gui and is not dependent on working opengl. Ofcourse xbmc could be rewritten for the ps3 but that would be a huge project without working gl. the people trying to acess the gpu on the ps3 has not been showing any intrest to write a accelerated opengl library, and no one seems intrested in writing a non opengl backend for xbmc wich relies on the gpu library for the ps3. these are kind of big things that needs some new developers to step up. if any of the few devs we had now would try such a thing we would not have a stable xbmc before the ps3 gets ancient. so the first step to get xbmc running on the ps3 would be finding new devs that can either write opengl libs or write a new backend.