Kodi Community Forum
Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? (/showthread.php?tid=221301)

Pages: 1 2

Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - drose25 - 2015-03-15

I have an Ahanix media center case with a built-in IR sensor and VFD. It uses the irserver linux software package from the IRTrans folks and has worked flawlessly under all previous versions of XBMC, up to and including Gotham.

Upgraded to Kodi today and it's like the remote and the IR do not exist. Under previous versions, when you first clicked a remote button it would pop up and say something like "New Connection Detected, IRTrans." Doesn't do that anymore. I have confirmed that the irserver daemon is still being loaded and running. Apparently, though, something has changed in Kodi so it is no longer recognized.

Any suggestions on where to start? Or how to work around this? The irserver daemon runs in an XBMC mode to make it easy to use with XBMC, but I guess that can be disabled and it be configured manually?

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - drose25 - 2015-03-15

Update: The problem appears to be because the source code for the irserver process loads a XBMC module that looks for a system process ID using a ps command for "xbmc.bin" which no longer returns a value since the name has been changed to "kodi.bin". I'm hoping that can simply be changed to kodi.bin and recompiled. I'm not a real programmer so I can't say for certain, but here's a link to the XBMC module source code: Source Code

Happens at line 261. If someone with a little C knowledge could glance that over it would be a big help.

Update 2: That does appear to fix the problem, though compiling was a major pain. I'm going to email the folks at IRTrans, but if they don't update their driver then the above will solve your problem.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - Rieper2 - 2015-04-15

Hi drose25,

Having the exact same problem and IRtrans seems be a bit slow to react on this.
Could you share your compiled kodi-version of the module? (here or email)
Would be a great help and enable me to upgrade to Kodi in my mediacenter.
Thanks.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - drose25 - 2015-04-15

I didn't want to because I can't guarantee it is compiled right for any other system, but IRtrans has completely ignored the issue so I guess I will. I registered for an account on their forum to discuss this before I even posted here and their moderators haven't even approved my account yet. Nor did they respond to my email to their support department detailing the problem and how to fix it.

My Kodi install is running on an Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS machine. There is an irserver folder somewhere on the system with all the files, but the actual version that gets loaded at boot resides in /usr/sbin on my system. Just rename the irserver there to irserver.old and drop the new one in. I can't remember if just doing a "sudo irserver stop" then start worked if I needed to reboot for it to take effect.

I uploaded it here.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - darkmaffia - 2015-04-16

I also registered for an account on their forum to discuss this problem, but still my account is not approved to post anything. How about windows machine? how can I solve that problem?

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - Rieper2 - 2015-04-16

Thanks a lot.
However I am on Windows. So maby I will try recompiling for Windows.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - darkmaffia - 2015-04-16

@Rieper2, if you succeed, would you be so nice to share it with us? I don't have any programming skills.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - DaVu - 2015-04-17

I know it's not a real solution, but because of missing support for irtrans i switched to a flirc dongle which works out of the box.

I have a origenAE htpc case which uses a VFD as well. I got it running some days, but I dont remember how and i dont want to fiddle around with it anymore. So I decided to go another way for using a remote, which was then configured in 15 minutes.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - darkmaffia - 2015-04-17

I got an answer from IRTrans:

Hi,
we were not aware of the nature of that problem so far.

Especially the reason as described in the kodi forum was new for us.

We will fix that in the next release of the irserver SW.

Marcus

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - mojo6911 - 2015-04-27

I can't get this to work on a 64bit system. The tarball to build from source is 32 bit. Any help?

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - drose25 - 2015-04-28

I edited the makefile (I think, one of the basic files that tells it what options to use) and just yanked out all of the 64bit options and forced it to compile 32bit. I couldn't get it to compile for 64bit either and trying to use 64bit flags kept resulting in an executable that wouldn't run. That's why I finally just ripped those config lines out so it would be forced to compile as 32bit. Then dropped it in /usr/sbin over the old, broken one and everything has worked well since.

If you still have trouble compiling, you might try the executable I linked earlier to see if it works for you.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - darkmaffia - 2015-05-01

Hi everyone, good news. I have a answer from IRtrans. They gave me 2 files for lunix users. As I'm a Windows user, I cant use them or test them.

here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjNqoXkcjp1SDRXaC1QS19sS0cyVUlUTXdhd1RzUGJtRnhv/view?usp=sharing

and here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjNqoXkcjp1dnhScmxaTlJPMnpwSXRNOTZ6aEd0TmFJSmQ4/view?usp=sharing

Please let me know if it's working. I'm trying to get a file for windows also..

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - Trotter81 - 2015-05-19

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get IRtrans working for windows?, New user here, I have come from Mediaportal and Ive got everything setup nicely, I just cant get the Remote Control to work in Kodi (apart from a few buttons which worked out of the box)

I use a MCE Remote with IRTrans Receiver / VFD

Im Guessing its not working for the same reasons as above?

Thanks.

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - Trotter81 - 2015-05-21

anyone? Still cannot get the remote to fully work, only the left & right and ok buttons are working.

EDIT: Got it Working Now Big Grin

RE: Kodi doesn't recognize IRTrans anymore? - adelpha - 2015-07-04

How did you solve it?