Kodi Community Forum
Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db (/showthread.php?tid=22407)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- solexalex - 2010-07-20

Cool ! One guy interested Wink

I'm pretty sure many others are interested as well ! Those who never write on forums, those who don't know this thread, those who never read english (and bad english) aso...

I worked again on it.

My first plugin version is working pretty well. I need to fix some things, add some parameters to config file, rewrite some of the database requests, add some more DB functionnality to add filters and albums stuff. Need to internationalyze it too (I think just a few of you can read french, isn't it ?)

But what it does up to now :
- of course, scan some parent folders recursively for pictures, adding EXIF and IPTC infos to a database
- enable to sort pictures by keywords (no keyword edition, just reading feature)
- enable to sort pictures by year / month / day (or even a whole year, a whole month or a single day)
- enable to sort pictures by folders (showing only folders containing pictures)

When I'll be ready, I will release it as a very early beta. Here are some of the things I'm afraid of while launching beta :
- encoding errors : some have been fixed as I'm french and encoding troubles are recurents
- multi OS problems : path are different from os to others...
- XBMC versionning incompatibilities : the first version should come for XBMC 9.11 rev 26017 as it is the one I've got for testing. It will not work for very new version (as the entire addon system changed)
- I think many others issues....

- RockDawg - 2010-07-20

Will we be able to sort by a date range?

- LoL - 2010-07-21

Hey solexalex,

Great that you're working on this man! I just thought of an extra feature that would be nice for the pictures and I think that it will be possible using your database function... let's hope so Smile

Feature request:
Possibilty to mark (tag) photo's in a folder and than select an option "view marked" to only show the marked photo's!
In large collections this would make it easier to show other people only the interesting short version of all your holiday pics Smile

Would this be possible?

Keep up the good work!

Grz, LoL Wink

- mhdebokx - 2010-07-21

Hello Selexalex

Keep faith with your plugin. If the foundation is okay for the plugin, then is should be easy to build to other OS versions and the new XBMC plugin system.

@LoL
I think the main feature of the plugin is showing pictures by selecting values from the EXIF/ITPC tags. Use an other tool to rate your photo's, and use this plugin to select and view.

Waiting for the fist beta to be released . . .

- AaronD - 2010-07-21

Solexalex,

I'm now subscribing to this thread. I think this is a great idea which a lot of people would use. Keep up the good work!

Thanks

- solexalex - 2010-07-26

hello everyones
Thank you for your interest.

Favorite feature :

The database and the library associated will not be to edit exif and/or iptc data (too much dangerous for your metadata informations I think ! No time to make something reliable in this way and many many many apps do this a lot better)
It will 'only' scan for those datas to add it in the database and use it for several purpose (sorting ...)
What I planned to do later, is to create filters and albums.
Filters :
Those will be to create user-defined database sorting (i.e pictures with given keyword for given period ...)
Albums :
Those will be to manually create a set of pictures to groups in given collection.

Hope it sounds good for you Lol ?

@RockDawg
Yes sure. Right now it sorts easily for a whole year or a whole month. It is a bit more tricky to get the pics for a given day but it will be ok.
I already coded functions needed to get a list of pics from date to date. But sadly it is a bit tricky to include this in a plugin, but not impossible. It will be for a next release I think.

Development status :
Sort by year/month/day is working pretty well
Sort by keywords is working pretty well
Sort by folders is working pretty well

I'm adding setup stuff to select which folder to scan, how recursively it should go, ability to select an existing database, or create a new one, or just use the default one.
Like every time when I develop, as my natural language is french, I encounter a lot of problem with encodings... I hate it !! That's why I have a lot of things to do before releasing my first beta. I hope give you all something to play with before next Friday because after I will not be at home for 3 weeks. If not, you'll have to wait the end of summer holidays.

Thank you all for your interest !

- TheBigDog - 2010-07-27

@solexalex

Your work on this is much appreciated! Good luck!

- LoL - 2010-07-27

Hey solexalex,

Your whole plugin sounds great!

However I think what I'm asking for might be easier to accomplish from within XBMC. I'd like it to be something like "Now Playing" for Pictures: being able to queue items, arangeing order and saving the "playlist".
Since Now playing is allready a part of XBMC maybe it's easy for them to create it for the Pictures section as well...

Hope you we'll see a test version at the end of the week, keep up the good work!

Grz, LoL Wink

- solexalex - 2010-07-27

OK LoL.
I continue to do my best to release a very first version of a plugin using picture database and then I'll do effort in adding a kind of 'favorite' system.

I have to say that picture as it is now inside xbmc is pretty different than music or videos. You can't add a picture to a temporary playlist to play afterwards with the slideshow. Nothing in python is made to do it "as is".
anyway, let's wait for this feature for you to see what is made for now.

We all have to know something else, my work consists of a database to store pictures metadata, AND a library to call, update... pictures. This library will be available for any developpers who wants to create an add-on using python.
My first visible thing will be a plugin, and for this reason, it can't be too much complexe (just good enough to display some pictures using basic filtering like keywords, date or folder)
A script can be made to handle albums or managing custom slideshows or whatever...

- solexalex - 2010-07-29

Hello !

My holidays are veery close now ! Today I have to pack my stuff and I leave saturday very early.
I don't really have much time to finish a nice beta but I'll do my best !

Hopefully, I've got a pretty simple plugin working now !
Scanning recursively something like 1500 pictures takes something like a minute (or less).
I try to translate to english for you, then I clean up a bit the code, then I zip it and upload here.
I have a bug after scanning large folders and pictures. The plugin crash because it says that it can't read the time of the library.... I hope it is a XBMC bug Sad
Anyway, this bug appear only after the end of the scan, and you only have to restart XBMC (not only the plugin but whole XBMC) and then it should run ok.
Keep in touch

- solexalex - 2010-07-30

here it is finally !
It is not really beautifull but it is a nice approach to show you what it can be.

All comments are welcome. Many updates are ready to be included but maybe some others have been forget. So the developpement depends on you all guys !

It has been coded using XBMC 9.11 r26017 on windows. I did my best to make it multiplateform but some things can be wrong. So when giving feedback don't forget to tell me your XBMC version and OS

This is a picture plugin so it should be installed inside your plugin/pictures/ folder, and run from pictures / plugins.
Before using, do a 'right clic' on the plugin to set the settings for your convenience. Default is to scan C: (all ! it can be very long ! so You'd better to change it) recursively.
In a first attempt, maybe it is a good idea to not pay attention to other settings as they are not very usefull.
You have to know that if "Initialize the database before scanning" is set to true, it will remake the whole database and re-scan all your files. If it is set to false, it will ony check for updates on the path to scan.

OK, I HAVE to go for some holidays now... Lokking forward to read for your feedbacks.

See ya

DL here : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=17YE8LCP

- bee07 - 2010-08-09

Hey solexalex
I'm very interested in this! I should have searched better for something like this before - but it looks like this does exactly what I want - thanksBig Grin (in advance - I'll try this when I get home tonight)
Hope vacation was goodWink
Cheers
Alex

- pedrob - 2010-08-10

Hi solexalex,

First of all, congrats for the plugin, its amazing. It would be perfect if you could put a search function !

Thanks !

- solexalex - 2010-08-12

Thank you for your interest. I still in holidays but search with multi criteria is on the fire

dharma plugin - mhdebokx - 2010-08-12

does somebody changed the script for working with the new xbmx dharma release ?