Kodi Community Forum
Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? (/showthread.php?tid=226080)

Pages: 1 2

Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Vlayke - 2015-05-04

Hi all,

I've been looking and so far no good information, so let me ask this here:
Is a combination of Pi2 with Win10 IoT and Kodi something that is going to happen?

Also (since at the moment I don't have this info) how simple is it supposed to be to run standard windows applications on this environment?

The thing is that standard Pi with (for instance) OpenElec is currently not a perfect solution for me, since I have no way of watching things like Amazon Prime and HBO Go on it. I'm thinking that Pi2 with Windows, Kodi and a web browser might be exactly what I need, but so far information is really scarce.

I'm aware that currently things are in early preview form and that it's not to be expected that they will be functional. But did anyone give it a try yet or is there any movement in this direction?

Thanks

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - noggin - 2015-05-04

Win 10 IoT for ARM is not an environment to run conventional Windows 7, 8/8.1, 10 applications on. It will have a display output - but not a full Windows UI. It's very much for embedded stuff. Existing Windows IoT stuff doesn't have a display output at all on other platforms (Minnowboard Max, Galilleo etc.) - it's purely command line via a terminal app - though the Pi 2 version improves on this a bit I believe.

Win 10 IoT is NOT Windows 10. It's not an ARM version of Windows 10 like you'd find on a PC (or even on a Windows RT Surface) AIUI.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Vlayke - 2015-05-04

OK, but still. It is a Windows environment. It has a video output, it has (or will have soon on Pi2) and audio output. From what I've seen there is a minimum GUI as well at the moment.

I understand that it's not Windows 10, like we'll get it on other devices (Intel, tablets,...). But at the end of the day it IS an ARM version of Windows.

So why not put KODI on it?

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - jjd-uk - 2015-05-04

No one has tried yet as far as I know, here's what possible:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm
http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/samples/PowerShell.htm

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - popcornmix - 2015-05-04

(2015-05-04, 18:19)Vlayke Wrote: So why not put KODI on it?

No. The question is "why put Kodi on Windows 10 IOT for raspberry pi".
Seeing as there is no published opengl es or video acceleration API, then any port will run much less well than any existing solution.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - noggin - 2015-05-04

(2015-05-04, 18:52)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-04, 18:19)Vlayke Wrote: So why not put KODI on it?

No. The question is "why put Kodi on Windows 10 IOT for raspberry pi".
Seeing as there is no published opengl es or video acceleration API, then any port will run much less well than any existing solution.

Does that also mean that browser video - Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc. - are unlikely to run anyway, so the reason the OP had is kind of a moot point?

I'm assuming that there will be published APIs at some point. Especially since this whole thing has only been released a very short time ago and is pretty much in a beta phase.

As to the question "why do it on Windows IoT on Pi 2", the answers are multiple:
- Because a lot of people are more comfortable with Windows than they are with Linux
- Because even though we're talking about limited version, assumption is (mine, I admit) that the foundation is there for simple porting of standard Windows applications also to this platform.
- Because it may be simpler to run other applications alongside Kodi, which would help round up the home theater experience. I'm talking about things like being able to play Amazon Prime videos and HBO Go content. Currently I cannot play that on Raspberry Pi with other solutions.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - popcornmix - 2015-05-04

I've seen no announcement of Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc working on Windows 10 IOT for Rapsberry Pi, so I'm going to assume they don't.
No announcement of a web browser either.

Note: Supporting Windows 10 IOT doesn't mean all your desktop Windows applications will run.
It means Windows 10 IOT applications can be written/compiled for Raspberry Pi. I don't know what is planned.

At the moment running kodi on windows 10 IOT doesn't offer any advantages that I can see.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - illiac4 - 2015-05-04

Mhm, odrinary users do not know linux but know how to use power shell, after all it is windows and is easy.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - .:B:. - 2015-05-04

Out of all the ordinary Windows users I know, not a single one that can use the Windows shell. Hell, I can use the Linux shell with my eyes closed, and I barely know my way around the Windows shell.

The Windows 10 version for the Raspberry Pi is rumoured to be an IoT version, so headless, and certainly not meant for media usage. You can be pretty sure MS will lock it down.

Re: RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Martijn - 2015-05-04

(2015-05-04, 20:50).:B:. Wrote: Out of all the ordinary Windows users I know, not a single one that can use the Windows shell. Hell, I can use the Linux shell with my eyes closed, and I barely know my way around the Windows shell.

The Windows 10 version for the Raspberry Pi is rumoured to be an IoT version, so headless, and certainly not meant for media usage. You can be pretty sure MS will lock it down.

Not necessarily. They are opening up more and more so who knows

Windows 10 for Pi2 is in fact IoT, but that does not equal headless. In fact there is already some small amount of UI present. And MS is improving some functionality and performance of the UI in particular. Here is an excerpt from the release notes:

Windows 10 IoT Core is still being ported to the Raspberry PI. Support for audio input and output on the RPI is still under development and does not exist at all in this release. The video driver for the Raspberry PI is still under development, and it's performance has not yet been optimized. Animated user elements, such as XAML based drop down menus, in particular may display poorly.

So it can be extrapolated that there will be in fact some focus on the video- and audio-out capabilities of IoT in general and Pi2 in particular.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Milhouse - 2015-05-04

(2015-05-04, 21:49)Vlayke Wrote: So it can be extrapolated that there will be in fact some focus on the video- and audio-out capabilities of IoT in general and Pi2 in particular.

It can also be extrapolated that barely any of the crucial video/audio systems actually work, so discussion about porting Kodi seems a tad premature...

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Vlayke - 2015-05-06

OK, my bad. I was assuming that this would be seen as an opportunity and challenge. I'll wait until the thing matures and see if it becomes more interesting for the Kodi group.

In any case all my points of interest will be present and I think I'm not the only one who would be interested in seeing this happen at some point.

RE: Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi? - Memphiz - 2015-05-06

(2015-05-04, 19:42)Vlayke Wrote: - Because even though we're talking about limited version, assumption is (mine, I admit) that the foundation is there for simple porting of standard Windows applications also to this platform.

That one is wrong already and one of the other dozen reasons why i forsee that porting kodi to IoT will never happen. Its not ment to be as powerfull as needed for a media center as of current information. Its more used for the "internet of things" which is mostly headless. Hell even microsoft itself stated multiple times that people should not mix it up with a desktop system...

But i guess this will happen all over. It still happens whenever people find out that their TV runs a sort of linux. This alone makes them think that it can't be hard to get Kodi on it (because Kodi runs on Linux). Its just naiv thinking. Ohh btw most routers are running linux too - so why not get a usb vga adapter and port Kodi to it? Wink