Kodi Community Forum
XBMC_PC Win32 GUI Development Environment for skinners (skin developers) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: XBMC_PC Win32 GUI Development Environment for skinners (skin developers) (/showthread.php?tid=23235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Builds of XBMC_PC Video's crashes XBMC. - djdafreund - 2008-01-22

I posted about this before, and i've further tracked it down to something with my installation somehow. I patched XBMCDBR back when the svn location changes, so when i built XBMC, it was grabbing from the proper area.
Well, people that have tried helping me narrow down my problem recently with my new xbmc_pc builds not playing video's and crashing XBMC ended up not pointing anywhere for the cause, and that it's not XBMC's fault since i grabbed a recent XBMC T3ch's build since, and the pc compile exe played video's just fine.
Since then, i also compiled a new version of XBMCDBR, that also allows to build a XBMC_PC exe and include it in the zip package while it's doing it's thing, And when i did that, and ran the finished exe file, it was also not playing video's and crashing xbmc when i tried. That leads me to the following. I wasn't originally doing anything wrong the 1st time when i was compiling the pc build, since the newest XBMCDBR does it automatically, and it's still crashing.
I've now narrowed it down to something not being installed on my machine to properly build XBMC_PC. I tried searching the WIKI, all forums here, and all forums in X-S, and haven't returned any results as to what exactly needs to be on the system for the pc build to work right. Everything currently looks like it's building fine, IE- No errors, and everything other the playing vid's work just fine, but something is still being missed.
Could someone please tell me what needs to be installed to 100% properly build an xbmc_pc? I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Xbox SDK (for the xbox builds of course.) Thanks in advance.

- SleepyP - 2008-01-22

I thought that port wasn't a full port, only mainly the GUI and Python stuff to make it easier to develop skins / scripts? Also you need the DirectX SDK install if I remember correctly.

- djdafreund - 2008-01-22

i'll look into the DirectX SDK thing. That might be it. I know the pc version isn't full, but it does play just fine video's and music. It was mentioned that some of the few things not included are mostly fullscreen (has line at top, even when F11), no screensavers, no visualizations, and most network functions don't actually do anything. But the T3ch builds of XBMC_PC work and play video's fine, but my persona l builds error XBMC out.

Well, got the dx sdk installed, same problem more or less. Doesn't crash now, it just doesn't do anything when i select a video now. As soon as i copy the latest t3ch version of xbmc_pc, and it plays video's fine again. Something is still missing unfortunately for me. And i have no clue what it could be.
Wouldn't be so bad if Ubuntu was nice to me and allowed me to install it. I'm running Vista 64bit dual boot, and XP x64 edition. I tried the 64bit Live CD, and it starts booting, then goes to the (apparently after searching a lot of same responses.) (initramfs): prompt. Tried everything i've read, no luck. Even disabled ACPI. Nothing worked, so i am stuck messing with XBMC for pc for now, til i can find someone very knowledable about being able to install Ubuntu on my system without messing up my dual-boot setup. I can't f*ck that up for sure, or i'll be in serious trouble, because of the precise way everything is currently setup now.

Ok then. I used the xbmc_pc in the compile i did, verses the one i made manually compiling, and it's playing video's now. Nice!! So it looks like the biggest part of the problem was not having DirectX SDK installed. Thanks a bunch for mentioning about needing it. That was my fix. Big time thanks!!!

- SleepyP - 2008-01-22

wurd

xbmc on windows? - dreamhost - 2008-02-05

I use xbmc on my xbox and love it. Now gfriend wants to know why we don't use it on the main computers. Is it possible to run xbmc on a windows based pc?

-I had built a whs box but decided that whs sucks big time so now I have an ultra powerful computer just sitting there which I would love to use for dedicated xbmc. Q6600 8gb ram 16tb storage (extra 8800gts after giving up on sli for now)

sorry for newb question. And yeah, I searched every string I could think of before posting such a basic question.

thnx in advance

- SleepyP - 2008-02-05

Maybe after the Linux port is out of the Alpha stage... All the developers who would work on such a thing are busy with that. I can't imagine you have searched these forums very much at all.

- LaTropa64 - 2008-02-05

The Windows XBMC skinning engine (XBMC_PC.exe) included with all the builds works really well. You miss out on a few features but the important ones (Video and Audio Playback) work great.

I'm hoping for a full fledged Windows port too one day though. Smile

- dreamhost - 2008-02-05

LaTropa64 Wrote:The Windows XBMC skinning engine (XBMC_PC.exe) included with all the builds works really well. You miss out on a few features but the important ones (Video and Audio Playback) work great.

I'm hoping for a full fledged Windows port too one day though. Smile

Thanks, I didn't even know about xbmc_pc.exe until you mentioned it. I'll go dig around and find me a copy to try out.

XBMC is hands down my #1 favorite piece of software and I love using it. Haven't upgraded it in almost 2 years now, it's never missed a beat.

SleepyP Wrote:Maybe after the Linux port is out of the Alpha stage... All the developers who would work on such a thing are busy with that. I can't imagine you have searched these forums very much at all.

I tried searching 'xbmc windows', 'xbmc windows port', among many other strings. I read every thread that looked even possibly relevant but had no luck. I do realise that there is a linux port being worked on, read a lot about that but it seemed a bit 'alpha' to me to use at this point. I even read about the mac mini thread and that seemed interesting. I did not however come across my question. Will try harder next time in order to avoid the wrath of the mega posters here.

- gzusrawx - 2008-02-05

There is someone working on building the linux port in windows but it's not quite ready for primetime yet. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30950

- WiSo - 2008-02-11

Hi,

I just wanted to test the compilation on .NET 2003 and it compiled just fine with the project file included in svn. I have only the runtime version of DirectX installed (XP) and was able to compile the project without a problem. Huh
Did I missed something or is it possible to compile XBMC for windows without the directx sdk?
As it looks for me only the XDK is installed on my work station.
Btw what is missing on the windows build? It runs fine but I didn't test every bit of course.

- WiSo - 2008-02-12

What a pity that nobody knows that Confused
Otherwise I could update the wiki with the build of the directx port for 2003 (even if this would be a one liner Laugh )

- Jezz_X - 2008-02-12

WiSo you sure you havn't installed it along the line somewhere in your programming adventures Smile Unless things have updated and change I used to get compile errors without the directx sdk

- WiSo - 2008-02-12

mmh, looks like I'm out of the loop for some while. I recently thought about my ancient xbox1 time and I liked it. Hopefully I find some time to come into the topic again to contribute something to the new XBMC ports.
Windows looks like an easier beginning since my MBP is only a few month old and my first xcode steps are a little bumby.
I'll have a look at the directX stuff and try to update the wiki since documentation seems not to be the developers dream Laugh
Thanks for the answer Jezz. It's good to see you again.