Kodi Community Forum
Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) (/showthread.php?tid=2349)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- madtw - 2005-02-15

(beef @ feb. 14 2005,15:44 Wrote:this clearly rocks and since you all know what you are talking about im gonna ask my question right here, hope thats ok.

i have an 2000 server as fileserver atm and was thinking of making it my new stream-comp/digitalvcr. (was hoping to keep running 2k server if possible)
all i want to know is what analog tv-turnercard you all recommend. ive seen so many different and id like to make the right choice right away so it will save me time later.

ex. a analog tv-turnercard that is compatible with the program needed to control the whole thing from my xboxes.

id appreciate all response to my reply, and o man i cant wait til i get it up and running so i can contribute to this thread for real.

cheers guys and keep up the grand work.

/beef

ps. what's the correct name of the program and the plugin that i need on the serverside?
the program we're using is myth tv. as far as i know, it does not run on windows 2000 yet although there may be an effort to port it. you don't need any additional plugins to use the xbmcmythtv python scripts for xbmc with a myth tv backend.

as for cards, i can't really tell you what is the best... but i can tell you that i have a hauppauge pvr 250 that works really well for me because it encodes directly to mpeg-2 in hardware. other people that have bought cards that require software encoding have had problems playing back the files without first transcoding them to some other format. also, a hardware encoding card reduces the cpu load on the server.

if you want to stick with windows 2000, then there are other solutions that might be supported by xbmc. i don't know a whole lot about them but you can look into realtv, snapstream (there may be others as well).

- sgtstadanko - 2005-02-15

you should give media portal http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net a try. i have used it on windoze and it works pretty good. has a mceish interface. i use it on my notebook which has an avermedia 2 usb tv card. i agree with madtw though on the card. for my money the pvr250 by hauppage has rocked. it does all the encoding on the card and only uses like 2-5% cpu. it a little on the pricey side, but worth it.

also, check here http://www.xpmce.com for windows media/tv stuff. lots o hardware and setup discussion.

you should give mythtv a try though. setup is pretty easy if you use the knoppix disto. all comes on the cd, just boot and answer questions...(more or less)

- smurf2 - 2005-02-16

could some one put up the a link to the current cvs

- bubbajoebob - 2005-02-16

cvs information --> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=128346

- ego093 - 2005-02-16

first off y'all - wow. i'm really impressed that you all pulled this off, and as quickly as you did. i bought an xbox to do just this sort of thing, and you've made my week.

now... i'm one of the unlucky souls who purchased a wintv card (which works great in myth) who is stuck with software encoding. while the patched mplayer.dll sort of works (ya - ffw and rw are weird!Wink, it obviously isn't perfect and often times drops playback altogether.

so, i'm thinking that i would like to go the transcode route, but haven't been able to figure out how that works in myth and what tools to use. my question is: for those folks who have found a work-around, what have you done and how do you get it going?

again - great work, all.

- madtw - 2005-02-17

(ego093 @ feb. 15 2005,21:08 Wrote:so, i'm thinking that i would like to go the transcode route, but haven't been able to figure out how that works in myth and what tools to use. my question is: for those folks who have found a work-around, what have you done and how do you get it going?
a friend that has a card that requires software encoding uses nuvexport... at the moment, this is a manual process but there must be a way to automate it. that's about all i know about this though...

- bone450 - 2005-02-18

recently finished getting mythtv working on my linux box and have been trying to get a frontend working on my xbox. i am glad i came across this page, because running linux on my xbox wasn't going as well as i planned. when this becomes fully functional, xbmc will become the ultimate home theater center piece. i allready think it is, but now with ability to record and watch live tv from xbmc, it is getting even better. can't wait to play with these scripts when i get home.

- smurf2 - 2005-02-19

cvs information --> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=128346

i can't seem to get to this page been trying for a few days now :-\

is there any where else i can get a newer script than 15.1

i just upgraded to mythtv 0.17 so all i can do on my xboxen's is watch recorded shows :-\

- ArtVandelay3 - 2005-02-19

how in the world do you install this script from "cvs"? i've been using it for months (thanks madtw!Wink but i'd like to try a newer version. i installed tortoisecvs, but have no idea how to download anything. it kept asking for a password. can anyone point me in the right direction?

- smurf2 - 2005-02-19

duh i am really blonde
sorry i got to the cvs site .it would seem that protowall was blocking the sourceforge domain for soem reason

i have installed it am looking at how to get it running

thanx Smile

- Loto_Bak - 2005-02-19

getting an issue with a recent cvs build (feb 17)

error log follows

Quote:24-11-2003 10:43:53 info debug level set to 31
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info traceback (most recent call last):
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info file "q:\scripts\xbmcmythtv\mythtv.py", line 1268, in ?
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info unittest.main()
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info file "q:\python\python23.zlib\unittest.py", line 714, in
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info attributeerror
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info :
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info 'module' object has no attribute 'argv'
24-11-2003 10:43:53 info

thanks for any help

- madtw - 2005-02-19

run the mythtvmain.py script instead of mythtv.py. the latter contains mythtv protocol code only. it will not create any screens - and apparently errors out in the unit test framework that is run when you run the wrong script.

- smurf2 - 2005-02-20

i finally finished getting 0.17 installed and had a go at this kewl script and now have it working for everything at last .it's good to finally be able to watch live tv .with the installation of the patched dll for mplayer (to play the mpeg4 nuv files) this script is nothing short of awesome

thanx for all the work you guys have put in Smile

regards mary

- imthemp3king - 2005-02-20

does anyone have this working with an avermedia avertv card?  i just cannot seem to get this working.  i keep getting access denied errors when trying to view my recordings.  i have verified from multiple pc's that i can access the shares i have created on the mythtv server.  i have the 0.16 backend and the latest cvs of xbmcmythtv.

- madtw - 2005-02-20

when i was working on the scripts, i got access denied errors when the path prefixes were not configured correctly. if you don't change the paths from the defaults, it is highly unlikely that they'll work with your setup. also, if you have a single backend setup, try explicitly specifying the hostname instead of relying on '%h' to expand out correctly.