Kodi Community Forum
Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) (/showthread.php?tid=2349)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- DrWeird - 2005-03-18

maybe i am doing something wrong. i have xbmc running from slayer's evox install disk. this installed xbmc on the f drive under apps\xbmc. i copied the xbmcmythtv folder to the scripts directory, but when i try to run the mythtvmain.py, it flashes running for a sec, but then does nothing. did i do something wrong?

drweird

- madtw - 2005-03-18

i'm guessing slayer's evox install of xbmc installs a *very* old version of xbmc. these scripts depend on some recent features that have been added to xbmc over the past couple of weeks. i don't think slayer's disk has been updated since sometime last year...

- stilger - 2005-03-18

madtw, i was able to make it skip commericals by making the changes in the file you suggested. i could not get it to prompt me without making the changes. if you would like me to do any testing in any other way let me know. thanks for all the help.

- DrWeird - 2005-03-22

i've got the absolute latest version of xbmc on my xbox running fine. when i upload the xbmcmythtv folder to scripts and try to run mythtvmain.py, i get a invalid literal for int() error. is the version of the python library that i got from the xbmc cvs the wrong version for the script? any other ideas?

drweird

- taylorasdfjkl - 2005-03-22

this may have been discussed earlier, but i don't see it posted anywhere.

i was able to get mpeg4 and rtjpeg .nuv support by recompiling mplayer using these instructions:
http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.php?wakka=compilingmplayer

but first patching mplayer with the patch on this page:
http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/mythtv/

you can download my .nuv patched mplayer.dll (cvs 03/21/05) here:
http://home.comcast.net/~gmsts/mplayer.zip

now i can play these .nuv files through "my files" or watch recordings, but the files will stop playing when i try to fast forward or enable skip commercials.

also, live tv does not play at all, and i get this in my mythbackend log:

2005-03-22 10:02:14.007 adding: xbox as a client (events: 0)
2005-03-22 10:02:23.244 changing from none to watchinglivetv
strange error flushing buffer ...

after this, i am stuck in the live tv screen and have to reboot the xbox.

i am also getting the above posted "invalid literal for int()" error with the latest cvs releases of xbmc and xbmcmythtv, but only when using the project mayhem iii skin.

taylor

- Loto_Bak - 2005-03-22

xbmcmythtv does not like skins other than pm or pm2. speaking of which could xbmcmythtv fall back on another skin when the corresponding xbmc/xbmcmythtv skin is not found

- DrWeird - 2005-03-22

i just learned the skin issue. i switched back to pm and that solved the int() error.

thanks,

drweird

- madtw - 2005-03-23

i've been reworking the skins because there was a lot of redundancy. i currently have pm, pm2, and pm3 working really well but it requires some patches to xbmc to expose more functionality to python. the patches have been submitted and they will probably end up being included friday (since that seems to be the pattern for previous patches i submitted).

i also have a new skinned version of the program guide working but i have held back from checking it all into cvs until the xbmc patches make it into cvs... when i check it all in, i will be deleting almost all the skin-specific skin files replacing them with skin files that are in a shared directory. then each skin just needs a custom background image and most likely a vars.xml which contains a number of coordinate variables that are skin specific.

when those changes take place, the fallback will be the skin/shared directory...

- madtw - 2005-03-23

(taylorasdfjkl @ mar. 22 2005,09:47 Wrote:now i can play these .nuv files through "my files" or watch recordings, but the files will stop playing when i try to fast forward or enable skip commercials.
this sounds like a problem that xbmc had at the beginning of march. with the latest builds, if you fast forward while playing live tv, it keeps playing at the end of the expanding buffer. commercial skipping is now much more accurate than the previous mplayer core. which mplayer core did you patch? (v5 or v6 - i haven't looked at the mplayer dlls but i seem to remember numbers like that)

- hpx - 2005-03-23

a few things;

- first of all, this script is absolutely fantastic. commercial skipping works great! i'm using the xbmcmythtv cvs from sunday and the latest xbmc from -my mom-.

- regarding the skin issue, i have a custom mediaportalx skin, so to maintain compatibility, i just rename project gotham to mediaportalx. works great. this way i have the custom skin, and a similar-themed skin for mythtv. i had to change the left margin to width*.08 rather than .05 to prevent the words from being cut off.

- does program guide work. when i select it i only get a dialog box with " main_program_guide ".

- lastly, is there any way to change channels when watching livetv?

- thanks again for the great script.

- madtw - 2005-03-23

Quote:does program guide work. when i select it i only get a dialog box with " main_program_guide ".
no, the current cvs version of mythtvmain.py only displays a dialog when you click on the program guide button. when patch #1166891 is put into xbmc cvs, i will check in all my latest changes with the program guide, cleaned up skins, support for pm, pm2, and pm3.
Quote:lastly, is there any way to change channels when watching livetv?
hit the display button on the remote and pick a different channel. unfortunately, when live tv is playing back full screen, mplayer grabs most input except for a few global button presses. i haven't found a way for python to get the input events to trap things like skip +/- to change channels, etc..

- DrWeird - 2005-03-24

when i try to watch live tv, it will show me about 1 second of tv then go back to the menu. if i try and watch live tv on the mythbox itself, it works, although slowly at times. could be my backend is not powerful enough. (piii-550 w/ 750mb ram) if it helps, i may switch to runlevel 3 and disable xwindows as only the backend needs to run. but before i can do that, i need to make sure i can watch live tv via the xbox first.

thanks,

drweird

- madtw - 2005-03-24

this question has been answered a few times on previous pages. you need to adjust the size of your xbmc cache versus the xbmcmythtv buffer size. as a rule of thumb the xbmc cache should be smaller than the xbmcmythtv buffer size. see the previous posts for exact details.

- DrWeird - 2005-03-24

thanks. i should have searched the posting better. it works great now. now i can try and see what i can contribute. now, if i could just get the messed up program guide on my mythbox working i'd be happy. moved time zones and providers and now everything is Image

- thinkquicker - 2005-03-25

hello, i've been following this project for a little while now, it's great! i want to thank all the developers, your efforts are apprectiated. i currently have everything that is suppose to work working, and it's working great.

just to sum up how to get it all working i'm posting my settings below. you're on your own to make sure your backend is setup to allow remote clients, grab the knoppmyth distro if you need to test, just a bootable cd that boots right into mythtv.

everything i'm posting below was from the forum and/or the readme. just thought i'd point that out. Smile

----------------------

settings to get live tv working:
xbmc video cache lan = 1024
xbmcmythtv buffer size = 750000

for comercial skipping:
-latest version of xbmcmythtv cvs
-recent version of xbmc
(i'm running one from 3/21/05)

button on the main xbmc menu for mythtv:

this is something you need to do if you want to use xbmcmythtv. check the readme for all the steps, you have to increase numbuttons value by 1 in:
xbmc/skin/project mayhem/pal/home.xml
(yes pal, even in north america)

this is what i added to the xboxmediacenter.xml file:
<button>
<label>mythtv</label>
<icon>103</icon>
<description>mythtv</description>
<execute>q:\scripts\xbmcmythtv\mythtvmain.py</execute>
</button>

==============

that's all i had to change to make everything work perfectly.

thanks again.