Kodi Community Forum
Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Python and MythTV (a MythTV Front-End) (/showthread.php?tid=2349)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- avar - 2005-03-25

i was so relieved to find this project, as i never really liked running linux on my xbox.  thank you for all your efforts.

heres my problem:
i installed it, set it up.  now when i go to watch a recorded show nothing happens.  i get nothing in the logs (despite having debug=0).  on the backend side i get this:

2005-03-25 07:57:09.603 invalid file handle when opening /rawvideos/1054_20050325010000_20050325013000.nuv.png.  0 retries remaining.
error: file i/o problem in 'safe_read()': bad file descriptor

i my cvs for xbmc and xbmcmythtv are current as of 3/24/05
mythtvbackend = 0.17

i know that this appears to be a server side issue but everything appeared to be working fine before. also, it is working fine using the frontend on the server.  i am downloading knoppmyth, just to verify, but it will take a day or two (slow connection).  any help is appreciated.

- madtw - 2005-03-25

ok, two things i noticed from your message:

1. in order to get debug info from the scripts, you need to set debug in xbmc to an appropriate level and also set debug in the script code itself. debug in the script is a bitmask... so debug=0 actually turns all messages off. i suspect debug=0 was the value you specified in the xboxmediacenter.xml file. also, if you use xbmc as your dash, there is an initial log file that is generated on c: and then the continuation of the log file in the xbmc home directory (e.g. e:\apps\xbmc).

2. the backend message you displayed talks about a .nuv.png file. this is not a video file but rather a screenshot from the program. if you go into the recorded show details screen, it instructs the backend to create a screenshot, downloads it from myth, and then displays it. do you see a screenshot before you select "play"?

the only time i've seen something like this is when i had a few zero size video files that myth kept in the database and on disk. this caused problems when trying to generate the screenshots and obviously the shows couldn't be watched. my backend server's tuner card driver failed to initialize completely and so all shows were 0 byte files. the fix at that time was to reboot the box and make sure the driver initialized properly. then delete all the bad shows from the database.

- avar - 2005-03-26

thanks for the fast reply

Quote:1. in order to get debug info from the scripts, you need to set debug in xbmc to an appropriate level and also set debug in the script code itself.  debug in the script is a bitmask... so debug=0 actually turns all messages off.  i suspect debug=0 was the value you specified in the xboxmediacenter.xml file.  also, if you use xbmc as your dash, there is an initial log file that is generated on c: and then the continuation of the log file in the xbmc home directory (e.g. e:\apps\xbmc).
i guess cause it said in the readme, that you had integrated debug in with xbmc as of 0.14, that that was the only place i had to enable it.  ill enable it correctly tonight.

Quote:2. the backend message you displayed talks about a .nuv.png file.  this is not a video file but rather a screenshot from the program.  if you go into the recorded show details screen, it instructs the backend to create a screenshot, downloads it from myth, and then displays it.  do you see a screenshot before you select "play"?

the only time i've seen something like this is when i had a few zero size video files that myth kept in the database and on disk.  this caused problems when trying to generate the screenshots and obviously the shows couldn't be watched.  my backend server's tuner card driver failed to initialize completely and so all shows were 0 byte files.  the fix at that time was to reboot the box and make sure the driver initialized properly.  then delete all the bad shows from the database.

i think i have an idea about whats going on, and it is a backend issue.  you were right about it creating 0 size files.  .nuv file was 1.5gb.  .nuv.png was 137 bytes??  it appears that having a 0 sized png file caused xbmcmythtv to stall?  the pc frontend was able to deal with it ok, although it was slower that usual.

my tuner card, which is about 6 yrs old, seems to be on the fritz.  it no longer works in windows at all, and is flakey on linux through tvtime.  the nuv file it did create is xtremely poor quality, and the sound is awful.  it worked great for about a month, and then decided to go out sometime while i was setting up xbmcmythtv.  i guess its time to get a new one

thank you for your help

- madtw - 2005-03-26

this is just a heads up that i have checked in the latest source into cvs. my patches have *not* made it into xbmc cvs yet but i figured i might as well make my changes available so that there is no delay when they do. if you build your own xbmc, apply the diffs attached to patch 1166891 to the xbmc source tree before compiling. if you don't, the scripts will fail miserably because they rely on parameters to gui controls that aren't available without the patch.

note: read the readme file for upgrade instructions as well as optional instructions for channel icons.

- elminster - 2005-03-26

hi justed checked out the latest version of mythtv and they have made an alteration to the protocol again. they are now on protocol 15.

i'm sure you know but throught i'd mention it.

- freeidee - 2005-03-26

hello
madtw help me :verysad:

i tested the your script , but don't work live tv ( press livetv in xbmc and freeze all , ) the log of mythbackend is : unknows socket
work only the play of recording , and show

push testing button and ok i dont understand the problem

use mythtv 0.17 and last xbmc build 12,03,2005

psConfusedorry for my bad english , i'am italian
, mythtv in the pc work perfect

- madtw - 2005-03-27

fyi, i usually stick with the last stable release of myth tv. this means that i don't usually update the protocol until they release a new stable release. however, the xbmcmythtv settings allows you to specify the version number of the protocol. sometimes, when they update the protocol, you can just change the number in the settings and things will work... occassionally the message size increases and then things may or may not break.

as for your live tv freeze up... it could be many things. make sure you are running a very new release of xbmc. i updated from xbmc cvs march 25, 2005 and did not have any problems playing back live tv. also, make sure you setup your cache settings as per many messages posted in this thread. the "unknown socket" error is typical in the myth logs... it doesn't mean anything. i get that all the time when things work as well.

- freeidee - 2005-03-27

thanks for the fast reply
ok now try with the last version xbmc

the protocol task that works use the 14 if change number mythbackend perceives to me and it says me to put the 14, i use 14

- freeidee - 2005-03-27

i have tried with last xbmc 26.03.2005
but when i press livetv it freeze xbmcmythv
all i have controlled the path smb is are right
to the serveur mysql colleague
i am not understood where puo to be the problem?

- madtw - 2005-03-27

no idea. you may have to wait until someone else experiences the same problem. there isn't a whole lot of information to go off of...

- freeidee - 2005-03-27

use fedora 3 and mythtv 0,17 rpm version but to be this that problems give to me, trying last mythtv the 0,17 cvs perhaps works xbmythtv that of tasks?
excuse you have intention of release some other version of xbmcythv in these days?

- madtw - 2005-03-27

no, the cvs build of mythtv has never been tested by me. i am running the last stable release (version 0.17). if other people are running a newer version please speak up... otherwise, i would stick with the latest stable release of mythtv - not a cvs build.

did you install xbmcmythtv from the tar file on sourceforge? if yes, then that is a bit old. there have been many fixes/changes since then. the latest cvs of xbmcmythtv will *not* work with xbmc unless you apply patch 1166891 to the source and build it manually. if i was you, i would wait a few days until the xbmc patch is included in cvs and is in the public builds. then grab the latest xbmcmythtv from cvs as well and hopefully things will work for you like they do for me.

i am planning to create a new tar release of xbmcmythtv on sourceforge. however, that won't happen until the patch mentioned above becomes mainstream and people have had a chance to test the latest version in various configurations.

- freeidee - 2005-03-27

thanks always for the reply

yes i'am install the last xbmythtv tar on the sourceforge
i have tryed this version http://citkit.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcef.....tar.gz

therefore then my problem and the patch to apply to xbmc in order making to work xbmythtv ok? , excuse you could makes me the pleasure to send to me if you can, or to say where i can find xbmc patched i did not know that that served a patch to xbmc in order making to work yours script, where i can find it? you could send it to me thr xbmc patched, i do not know to compile

- madtw - 2005-03-28

sorry, you'll have to wait until it gets into the public builds. just be patient...

- freeidee - 2005-03-28

ok , wait Confusedleep: :d