Kodi Community Forum
Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database? (/showthread.php?tid=24443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- ezechiel1917 - 2010-01-04

wow, sounds great ! Really looking forward to it, thanks! Nod

Will it work with other than CD/DVD sources (USB drives/SMB etc?)

- pecinko - 2010-01-05

cuginosgrizzo Wrote:Hi guys,

I hope this will be included in next releases...

cheers

Trac ticket link?

- da-anda - 2010-01-05

I'm not sure if storing the volume label for every volume has a downside (maybe if you rename a partition of your HDD) - so it might be good to have this configurable per drive or only for removable media if this can be detected by XBMC?
The next step would be that XBMC could determin whether it's a CD, DVD or a HD-DVD/BluRay while indexing and probably store a flag within the db so you could use icon overlays in skins.

- cuginosgrizzo - 2010-01-05

Hi, at the moment the volume label is stored for all kind of media. So, to answer the questions:
  • It will work with any removable storage, provided that the path stays the same
  • it will have one downside: if you change the label on your HD, it will ask you to insert correct disk in case you deleted the movie (if it is still there no hassle)
  • trac number is #8374

I think it is possible to limit this behaviuor only to "real" removable media. I'll take a look into it.

cheers

- ezechiel1917 - 2010-01-05

If it could work with any USB removable drives (HDDs, flash medias, etc) which are mounted to "/media/volume_name" that would be great. You don't usually rename them, so I don't see a problem with that.

So if media's path is available, but volume label doesn't match it should play even from renamed storage, am I right?

- cuginosgrizzo - 2010-01-05

ezechiel1917 Wrote:If it could work with any USB removable drives (HDDs, flash medias, etc) which are mounted to "/media/volume_name" that would be great. You don't usually rename them, so I don't see a problem with that.

So if media's path is available, but volume label doesn't match it should play even from renamed storage, am I right?

Yes.
If the file is there, then it is played.
The volume label is checked only when the file is not available at the specified path, so XBMC assumes that if the disk label doesn't match then the file is not present because it must be on a different storage, else if the label matches, it has been removed from disk, and you are prompted to remove it from the archive also.

- pecinko - 2010-01-06

cuginosgrizzo Wrote:
  • trac number is #8374
cheers

Thanks, had a look but still do not understand how is it supposed to work. So, I have 100 DVD on shelf, with collection numbers on them.

- How I get them to XBMC library?
- How am I notified afterward what DVD to toss in in order to play it?

Thanks, P.

- da-anda - 2010-01-06

pecinko Wrote:So, I have 100 DVD on shelf, with collection numbers on them.

- How I get them to XBMC library?
- How am I notified afterward what DVD to toss in in order to play it?
I haven't tested it, but I guess you have to insert all 100 Discs one by one and import them into your library. And you might get notified to insert a volume with label "nameOfDisc". So if you burned the DVDs yourself and labeled them 'dvd-collection-1', 'dvd-collection-2' etc, you'll get promted that name. That's at least the most logical way to do in my eyes.

The volume label is btw. the name that's displayed together with the driveletter, or on your desktop below the disc icon.

- pecinko - 2010-01-06

da-anda Wrote:I haven't tested it, but I guess you have to insert all 100 Discs one by one and import them into your library. And you might get notified to insert a volume with label "nameOfDisc". So if you burned the DVDs yourself and labeled them 'dvd-collection-1', 'dvd-collection-2' etc, you'll get promted that name. That's at least the most logical way to do in my eyes.

The volume label is btw. the name that's displayed together with the driveletter, or on your desktop below the disc icon.

Thanks for info, but I hope you are not right about it :-)

I mean am thankful to anyone who contribute to XBMC in any way, especially as I don't have programing skills that are needed, but this does not seem as a comfortable way to do it.

Put every DVD, add it to a library and than XBMC will say - you have to put disc labeled 'TJERRY002_CZ' (which is a label on original Tom&Jerry DVD) in order to play this item?

@cuginosgrizzo : Are you willing to consider different way of achieving offline DVD functionality?

- GJones - 2010-01-06

Perhaps I do not understand. It seems you are asking to make a change to allow DVDs to be indexed. That means that you have to actually get up and put a disc in when you want to play it. There is no way, programmatically, for someone to solve the "I don't know which disc contains the movie I just requested" problem.

You are subsequently requesting that the process be less manual. These seem to be contradictory.

If you want it to be terribly convenient, keep the movies online (not offline as you requested). If you must keep the DVDs offline, I have a simple solution for Linux installations. Build one video file (MKV, MP4, any format) that simply says "Insert the disc now" for a few seconds. Put a link to this file in every movie folder as if it were the actual movie. Set the skin to autoplay DVDs on insertion. This will give you all of the catalog information and allow discs to be used offline.

- mikeandjeny - 2010-01-06

pecinko Wrote:Thanks for info, but I hope you are not right about it :-)

I mean am thankful to anyone who contribute to XBMC in any way, especially as I don't have programing skills that are needed, but this does not seem as a comfortable way to do it.

Put every DVD, add it to a library and than XBMC will say - you have to put disc labeled 'TJERRY002_CZ' (which is a label on original Tom&Jerry DVD) in order to play this item?

@cuginosgrizzo : Are you willing to consider different way of achieving offline DVD functionality?

I kind of think this is a good first step. If Volume Label is now stored in the database that gives a good way to identify offline media (be it Disc, USB, removable drive, whatever). Now we should be able to edit that Volume Label. If not now then in the future via the .nfo file, or perhaps one of the standalone media managers.
To use your example...
Tom & Jerry Disc 2 would be added to the library with "TJERRY002_CZ" in the volume label field. You can then edit it to reference Disc number 45(?) in your collection. Then the prompt would say "Insert Disc 45".

For your question of how to add the offline files to the library. The simplest solution is probably to use the script here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=243464#post243464
Then you can delete the AVI files it creates and edit the .nfo files. At this point (since it is a brand new feature) everything will be manual, but I am sure that later folks will add easier ways to do everything.Nod

- pecinko - 2010-01-06

GJones Wrote:.. It seems you are asking to make a change to allow DVDs to be indexed... There is no way, programmatically, for someone to solve the "I don't know which disc contains the movie I just requested" problem.

- I have bunch of DVDs.
- Each one I gave index number: DVD_1,2,3 .. 100
- I made 100 folders, which I named according to DVD Titles
- I made 100 empty txt files, and named them disc_1,2 .. 100. I changed extension from txt to avi, so XBMC can recognize them as movies
- I scraped and populated XBMC library using those folder names and fake avi files

How can XBMC know which DVD to ask for? There are a few solutions:

- As suggested by Spiff in this same thread, check movie size if 0, than it's offline movie, get it number from file name
- read XBMC nfo for <offline>dvd_number_here</offline>

Beginning of this thread have some similar ideas.

Why do I have DVDs instead of movie files on HDD? I have 2 kids and take my DVDs when we travel, so they can watch them. It's not convenient to keep both DVD and movie file versions.

But I'm not asking anything from anyone, I just said if someone is willing to make a patch for this, there may be a better way for handling this problem. Just my 2 cents.

- pecinko - 2010-01-06

mikeandjeny Wrote:Tom & Jerry Disc 2 would be added to the library with "TJERRY002_CZ" in the volume label field. You can then edit it to reference Disc number 45(?) in your collection.

OK, but How do I edit it to show DVD 45 instead of volume? How would XBMC know that "TJERRY002_CZ" is on DVD no45?

pecinko Wrote:- I have bunch of DVDs.
How can XBMC know which DVD to ask for? There are a few solutions:

- As suggested by Spiff in this same thread, check movie size if 0, than it's offline movie, get it number from file name
- read XBMC nfo for <offline>dvd_number_here</offline>

This patch actually gets you part of the way there...
The first step is getting an entry in the Database that identifies where the Media is stored. In this case the entry is Named "Volume Label" not "offline".
Now that the entry is in the database, it can be used in the ways you suggest (as far as I can tell).

So as a first step. I see this as a very positive step in the right direction.

-By the way you aren't crazy or alone having offline media.

pecinko Wrote:OK, but How do I edit it to show DVD 45 instead of volume? How would XBMC know that "TJERRY002_CZ" is on DVD no45?

Well this feature is still in a patch and being tested so it might be some time...but we should be able to do it the same way we do all the "edit"s to the data via .nfo files