Kodi Community Forum
Lets make a difference to XBMC (joint skin project) => Team Razorfish and MediaStream - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lets make a difference to XBMC (joint skin project) => Team Razorfish and MediaStream (/showthread.php?tid=28900)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- blittan - 2007-10-04

I have edited the list (adding myself) as a python guy, if there will ever be need for one Smile

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-04

yeah I saw that mate...thanks very much for the offer of help and the vote of support, I'm quite chuffed that so many people are agreeing that it would be a great project to take on.

- Garage Battle - 2007-10-04

would be nice to come up with a set of like 5 main goals, something like:

1. Easy to use, any person can use it efficiently after only a minute
2. Smooth setup of TV series, Recorded TV from Media centers, etc.
3. Visually inspiring simplicity (eg. coverflow,etc)
4. A seperate 'user' mode from 'setup' mode
5. Zero redundancy in menu and setup

also, would be nice to see user created content for it that would be easy to add. for instance, lets say you have a folder of Family Guy seasons, and you would like to integrate it into the XBMC as a series. Hit into, bring up "add series", and it would automatically take you to a list of series available. When you add it, not only does it add the series artwork, it also adds an mp3 of suttle background music, which may be a light orchestrated version of the series theme song (like you get at a dvd menu).

- Garage Battle - 2007-10-04

also the i love the way when you select an album, it drops and rotates the album art full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJld-R-bA3c

nice

- BritneysPAIRS - 2007-10-04

the drops and rotates the album art full screen is very easy to do but a bad idea Big Grin at 1280x720 it will look all jpgy IMO

- timdog82001 - 2007-10-04

Garage Battle Wrote:would be nice to come up with a set of like 5 main goals, something like:

1. Easy to use, any person can use it efficiently after only a minute
2. Smooth setup of TV series, Recorded TV from Media centers, etc.

also, would be nice to see user created content for it that would be easy to add. for instance, lets say you have a folder of Family Guy seasons, and you would like to integrate it into the XBMC as a series. Hit into, bring up "add series", and it would automatically take you to a list of series available. When you add it, not only does it add the series artwork, it also adds an mp3 of suttle background music, which may be a light orchestrated version of the series theme song (like you get at a dvd menu).

lol so when would this music play? just while you're scanning it to the database? or whenever you're in the family guy folder in library view or something?

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-05

well lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I reckon we should get a list of people together, and then arrange some kind of meet. I understand that meeting in an IRC chat room may be a little difficult, due to time zones.

I wonder whether the very fact we have so many people interested now would warrant a separate section of the forum, where we could thrash out this information?

For those in the know...would this be possible, do you think? Could the project warrant a new section, visible only to those people involved?

Thanks

- Garage Battle - 2007-10-05

timdog82001 Wrote:lol so when would this music play? just while you're scanning it to the database? or whenever you're in the family guy folder in library view or something?

just an idea. would play in the background of the specific tv series, just to set the mood. only an idea, far from a priority. btw make sure you check out the concept called 'Fluid' in the other post, a lot of good ideas in that thread.

- xino - 2007-10-05

"he's right you know"
i bet you also posted this at the XBox SceneTongue

anyway
NO DOUBT!
PM3 is still the best to me, the design is just so great and it feels the title for XBMC.

I only have 2 skins, PM3 & Vision. Vision is awesome, but its boring because nothing happens...I only like it when I using the Xbox for media.

The same goes to MC360. Mc360 is good, but gets too boring for me!!! I love the Concept version of it, where its all transparent. Its PERFECT for playing music, thats how I bang out my Halo musicSmile
But they had updated the concept skin to its real form, and I hate it!Angry

The fact is...I havn't fixed my old xbox cuz of the annoying Error 16Angry

PM3 still stands out as the best skin!
*Fluid media design
*Interactive background, that designs/ scrolls pictures
*The design and look!
Its just perfected!

I am looking forward to the ps3 skin! and eX

Maybe all you skin makers should get together and create the AWESOME skin!Big Grin

- EsOsO - 2007-10-05

Garage Battle Wrote:1. Easy to use, any person can use it efficiently after only a minute
I think this should be the very first target of the project. The look of today skins is great and i'm quite sure that it can compete with commercial media centers like AppleTV. What is missing, IMHO, is a speed up in commonly used features; i mean, when turning on my xbmc to watch a tvshow, it needs at least 5 click on the remote to start the last unwatched episode. Why not to "click" play on the home page "TV Shows" button and have xbmc showing the last unwatched episode?
It's only a thought, but I'd like to insist on this aspect instead of eye candy.

Quote:2. Smooth setup of TV series, Recorded TV from Media centers, etc.
I agree completely with this points

Quote:also, would be nice to see user created content for it that would be easy to add. for instance, lets say you have a folder of Family Guy seasons, and you would like to integrate it into the XBMC as a series. Hit into, bring up "add series", and it would automatically take you to a list of series available. When you add it, not only does it add the series artwork, it also adds an mp3 of suttle background music, which may be a light orchestrated version of the series theme song (like you get at a dvd menu).

It's a good idea but i think it's not the right moment to spend time on this.

- spiff - 2007-10-05

Quote:I think this should be the very first target of the project. The look of today skins is great and i'm quite sure that it can compete with commercial media centers like AppleTV. What is missing, IMHO, is a speed up in commonly used features; i mean, when turning on my xbmc to watch a tvshow, it needs at least 5 click on the remote to start the last unwatched episode. Why not to "click" play on the home page "TV Shows" button and have xbmc showing the last unwatched episode?
It's only a thought, but I'd like to insist on this aspect instead of eye candy.

such ideas sound nice in theory but leads to cluttered nonintuitive interfaces.
consistent navigation is much more important. all imo ofc.

mike, you wanted my thoughts on this in the thread. sure. i've seen so many nice ideas spawning interest leading to zilch results over the years. i fear this is one of those.
the common denominator for all those projects were high thoughts and much talk BEFORE anything showed up. the only hypeware out there that actually has shown up is mc360.

here's to hoping.

Good thoughts there Spiff and, if I'm honest, I have no idea whether this will result in the same thing. I'm hoping it's not because I feel that we can do SO MUCH for XBMC in terms of the GUI.

I am more than prepared for the long haul of managing the project...I only hope that people who put their names down are just as committed to getting something up and running. I plan to make a lot of these things official, by having a separate section to the forum, specifically for the team, and hope to see people working together to get a project together.

It may be that your experience of these 'projects' will see this do the same thing. I hope my naivety of such things will help me to manage the project effectively.

- EsOsO - 2007-10-05

Ok Mike, let's take XBMC a step further Smile

@spiff: It wasn't my intent put this project on a bad way, just suggesting and brainstormig.

- MacGyver - 2007-10-05

I thought I'd help out by suggesting a name.

If it's not already taken, I'd like to recommend the name "default" Smile

now now McGyver...i'm not suggesting this is going to be the new default skin...far from it in fact. If and when it's nearing completion the team decide that it COULD be the new default, then thats a conversation for a later time MAYBE.

For now, I think we need to concentrate of getting the people together, talk about what the skin needs to be able to do, then work out a best course of action to get there.