Kodi Community Forum
Lets make a difference to XBMC (joint skin project) => Team Razorfish and MediaStream - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lets make a difference to XBMC (joint skin project) => Team Razorfish and MediaStream (/showthread.php?tid=28900)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- skunkm0nkee - 2007-10-05

MacGyver Wrote:I thought I'd help out by suggesting a name.

If it's not already taken, I'd like to recommend the name "default" Smile

Yeah and you could try and make it sound cool by adding a hyphen and calling it De-Fault or D-Fawlt! Laugh

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-05

hahha...I dont see why (as long as we get permission) we use something like

project:FLUID

MikeBeecham Wrote:hahha...I dont see why (as long as we get permission) we use something like

project:FLUID

Has theDevil got back to you yet about whether he is happy about fluid being used for this project? I got a PM from him a week or two ago (I had already agreed to help him out with fluid) and he said he was on the road but was hoping to get into it properly when he got back.

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-05

Not as yet Skunk. I have PMd him, but dont want to push, due to the sensitive nature of the request.

MikeBeecham Wrote:Not as yet Skunk. I have PMd him, but dont want to push, due to the sensitive nature of the request.

He may still be on the road as he did say he was going to get in touch with me when he got back and I haven't heard from him yet either.

- jaredharley - 2007-10-05

skunkm0nkee Wrote:Yeah and you could try and make it sound cool by adding a hyphen and calling it De-Fault or D-Fawlt! Laugh

No, you're thinking the wrong way... cool is with an i!

iFaultNod

- jmarshall - 2007-10-05

You can put me down on your list, Mike, as far as a contact point to help out with the code side of things and/or offer advice on the doability or otherwise of various things.

Feel free to think outside the box - you don't necessarily need to be confined to the current paradigms, so if you come up with some interface ideas that are universally better than what we have now, I'm sure some accommodations can be made on the code side to support it. What we have is tried and true, but that doesn't mean it can't be better.

I'd suggest (as others have) that a full design document, with every element/effect/navigation etc. fully documented would be the starting point. Get the design absolutely finalized before any coding starts.

Finally, like spiff, I am somewhat skeptical of the likelihood of success, given similar projects in the past. I hope you prove me wrong, though, and am happy to help out where needed to ensure that you do. Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

- BritneysPAIRS - 2007-10-06

Well that would be great with JM help we could do something real special I allready have alot of concepts that would fit just be great id say. With this the support ive seen id like to get started (id like the team split into 2 though really, main people and input people as you are going to see a million crazy ideas, some im sure will be good but it will require focus and vision to get it completed). Anyway now is the time to start the project concept wise as I have for a year or 2 been thinking about this stuff, know whats can be done now and what is needed to be added to achieve a certain interface.

Very little is missing to achieve great results IMO but once again id like design to focus on being for the future and that means true 720p and mouse friendly (eg clickable progress bars hint hint Smile )

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-06

Thanks so much for the support guys. I know that many of you will have gone down this route before and seen it come to nothing. I cant guarantee that it wont happen again, but I think we have to try.

I'm really excited about the project, and I'm COMPLETELY stoked to see JM's name on the list now.

As an aside, I have now heard back from theDeviL, and he has given us permission for us to use Fluid for the overall conceptual design framework...which is GREAT!!!. Again, I think it would be a prudent move for us to wait until a week Monday (15th october) before we start storming ahead, as it will give this thread time to bed down a little, and see if anyone else is going to put thier name on the list.

Again, THANKS to everyone who has supported or thrown a vote of confidence this way...much appreciated!

- adam1302 - 2007-10-06

this is a really great idea, i cant wait to see how it is going.

- grrowl - 2007-10-07

Sounds great guys (although hugely ambitious)

If you like, I'd be glad to help out with things. Particularly I could help out with website (for project, task and people management) and generally managing the people of the project (doing the boring keeping track of things). I'm also not too bad at photoshop and creating assets, either. Let me know, contact information is in profile.

- MikeBeecham - 2007-10-07

Hi Grrowl....thanks every so much for your kind offer of help. I will get your name on the list, and we can talk more after the 15th, which is the deadline set for getting a list together.

if you are as hot on the admin side as you imply, then we might become best mates!!!

- Wir3d - 2007-10-07

Mike,
If the list isn't full yet please add me. I can do a little of everything (not nearly as qualified as JM, Mac or Jezz). Photoshop and graphics not being my high point but I know enough to get what I need done. It just takes me longer.

I already have the home page and SHOWCASE view started for 16x9 (if that will help any). Until this project kicks off I am going to continue what I started if not just for practice Big Grin

Thanks

- BritneysPAIRS - 2007-10-07

id like to change the way the home page works and operates in concept I think in many ways its a little outdated... eg xbox 360 doesnt have a home, anyway if the project kicks off ill discuss stuff with who ever about revamp of interface design (the look being fluid) but dont want to design it around what every other skin is (eg pm3). If you have the concept and and the graphics base a skin wont take to long to put together (100s of hours) unless its massively complexed animation wise like MC360, I take my hat off to the amount of time that would have taken to get correct (1000plus hours Id guess)

Would be great to have the PSD from fluid Smile and the design onboard to help with Graphic Design

- grrowl - 2007-10-08

^ BritneysPAIRS, although I am crazy in love with fluid, many things about that interface would be inappropriate for this skin, mostly all the cover art. An entry-level, accessable skin shouldn't have to depend on either the user having put the effort into downloading all the cover art or have their xbox connected to the internet.

MikeBeecham Wrote:Hi Grrowl....thanks every so much for your kind offer of help. I will get your name on the list, and we can talk more after the 15th, which is the deadline set for getting a list together.

if you are as hot on the admin side as you imply, then we might become best mates!!!

Well I've filled the admin role on a few collaborative projects now, so i'm starting to get used to it Tongue

Looking forward to an IRC channel or the like as soon as one is set up.