Kodi Community Forum
Unified PVR frontend (DVR/HTPC client GUI with EPG) and Addons API for PVR backends? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: Unified PVR frontend (DVR/HTPC client GUI with EPG) and Addons API for PVR backends? (/showthread.php?tid=28918)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- blowfly - 2009-10-14

One example is RequestEPGForChannel which needs a channel, start and end time. libcmyth only has cmyth_mysql_get_guide which gets info for all channels in one go.

That's only one example and it looks fairly simple to solve. But what about other functions that we'll no doubt need? Perhaps a fork of libcmyth may be a better option than starting from scratch?

- alcoheca - 2009-10-14

cmyth_mysql_get_channel_guide could be easily implemented like you say. Just modifications to a SQL query if I remember rightly.

You're talking about forking - so presumably you've not had positive feedback from the libcmyth developers??

- blowfly - 2009-10-15

I think I've possibly used "fork" a little harshly Eek Perhaps branch would be more appropriate?

I've been looking at libcmyth's forums and it looks as though someone else is using it for an iPhone app. They were quite positive about any changes he makes being merged back onto the trunk. I'll mention what I'm trying to achieve to them over there and see what response I get.

- alcoheca - 2009-10-15

blowfly Wrote:I think I've possibly used "fork" a little harshly Eek Perhaps branch would be more appropriate?

I've been looking at libcmyth's forums and it looks as though someone else is using it for an iPhone app. They were quite positive about any changes he makes being merged back onto the trunk. I'll mention what I'm trying to achieve to them over there and see what response I get.

sounds great, good luck Smile

- blowfly - 2009-10-15

I've already got some positive responses from the MediaMVP devs. They're looking at moving (probably branching) libcmyth to a separate git repository as they've had quite a bit of interest in its use.

- panzaeron - 2009-10-17

@FreddyAV
That sounds good Big Grin

- panzaeron - 2009-11-07

Some news about the TVHeadEnd integration?

- moontan77 - 2009-11-10

Yep any updates on tvheadend

- karatekickz - 2009-11-29

I just wanted to post to thank everyone working on this end of the project. I am really looking forward to having a sleek XBMC front end working as a PVR to my mythserver.

It would be amazing to perhaps pull a designer of one of the skins to help format/layout the guide screens, OSD, etc. As well as, perhaps use the talent from some of the already in place scripts like mythbox.

Thanks everyone for all of their hard work.

- robweber - 2009-11-29

Just today I was able to pull the pvr-testing branch and get it compiled to try it out.
I see earlier in this thread that there has been a start on the client for a MythTV backend. I would be willing to test/work on it if anyone can get me the files. I see nothing in the SVN for anything other than VDR right now, but it seems like other clients are being worked on.

Thanks.

- da-anda - 2009-11-30

karatekickz Wrote:It would be amazing to perhaps pull a designer of one of the skins to help format/layout the guide screens, OSD, etc. As well as, perhaps use the talent from some of the already in place scripts like mythbox.

Just a note to the designers. Please consider displaying the EPG in a big popup window (maybe optionally by special key press) and/or let the user scroll the text - no autoscrolling. For me it's a pain in the a.. to read EPG info in most TV frontends (like in mediaPortal). When I decide to read the EPG and push according buttons, I want to read the EPG and thus would like to have the EPG being the main task displayed on the screen. It doesn't help having the TV pictures using 95% of the screen and only see 2 lines of the EPG in small font-size, hoping it starts auto-scrolling at some point. It might look nice (depending on your taste), but it's not usefull. So I'd vote for a popup window.

A example how it could be done (with a polished design of course) can be seen here (it's a screenshot from a linux based OS called neutrino for german payTV settop boxes). By pressing the EPG button again, the font-size is increasing for easier reading. With the yellow button you can set a zapping timer and with the red button a record timer for that show.

- panzaeron - 2009-12-16

@FreddyAV and all others

Some news about the tvheadend integration?

- CrashX - 2009-12-16

I see his patch for tvheadend here .. http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7512

- panzaeron - 2009-12-19

@CrashX
thanks Smile

and all others, some news about the epg and recording functions with tvheadend?

- Rakeesh - 2009-12-21

This would be SO nice. XBMC's interface is very well designed: extremely intuitive looks very nice, and I have yet to run into any bugs. Then as a player it works beautifully, I've yet to throw any video at it that it couldn't handle, and best of all, it even plays it while its inside of a zip or rar archive.

If we could just have a nice PVR front end I'd just love to use XBMC for all of my video/audio needs. Currently I am trying SageTV and its interface just sucks balls compared to XBMC, it chokes on a lot of different types of videos I try to play in it, and it has a ton of glitches. If there was an alternative front end/back end setup I'd be all over that. (I want to watch videos and live tv from my main computer, but I don't want it to be responsible for recording anything, particularly while I am playing games.)

I would be really interested in seeing a mediaportal tvserver front end in particular. My tuner (Hauppauge 2250) isn't fully compatible with linux (driver is digital only, I need analog cable too though.) While mediaportal is nice, it seems that somewhere along the lines it lost the playback versatility that XBMC has.